The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-10-2021, 05:11 PM

Default Blood Pressure Monitor suggestions

Looking for an accurate BP monitor, with an extra large cuff (arm is 18 inches) Any recommendations? It's pretty hard to determine via online reviews for me, seems like many aren't that accurate? If you have the battery only type how long do the batteries last? Thanks.
Old 09-10-2021, 06:02 PM

As someone formerly involved with medical device performance evaluation, I have to report that most home blood pressure monitors are terrible. In fact, many of the contemporary digital units used in doctor's offices are essentially worthless, as well. I only trust the old school method involving a cuff, a stethoscope and someone who knows what they're doing.
Old 09-10-2021, 06:08 PM

There Is always going to be a difference in accuracy between what your doctor ‘s cuff says and what yours does. So, the best way to get a handle on that is to take the cuff to the doctor’s office and compare the values during the same visit.

Maybe what is more important than the accuracy of the cuff is getting to know your bp at various times during the day and week. You’ll find that there is a variation and if you start recording this in a log, you and your doctor will have a much better idea of your range. As you may know, even within a minute, the systolic pressure can dramatically rise or drop.

Unfortunately, taking a blood pressure every few months or weeks is really prone to error. So getting your own cuff is a great idea. I recommend an auto inflatable arm cuff. Look for one with a larger diameter, as you noted. They are all roughly the same; Omron is one of the common brands. Then, make sure you place it properly… another good reason to visit the doctor’s office with the cuff. The battery life is pretty decent.

This is a great way for you to influence your healthcare for the better. Try not to be too obsessed by the number. Your doctor (should be) is looking for trends and ranges.

Best,

Rick

PS - understand that at any session, it’s a good idea to take two or three readings. Blood pressure is that variable, as is its measurement.
Old 09-10-2021, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
As someone formerly involved with medical device performance evaluation, I have to report that most home blood pressure monitors are terrible. In fact, many of the contemporary digital units used in doctor's offices are essentially worthless, as well. I only trust the old school method involving a cuff, a stethoscope and someone who knows what they're doing.
Agreed… it’s much better, but your last sentence, says it all. For the average person, an auto inflatable device is probably far better than using nothing at all.

Best,

Rick
Old 09-10-2021, 06:58 PM

Quote:
As an EMT and Paramedic who spent years on an ambulance and have taken way too many BP's to count, I will agree with all this. Has your physician asked you to monitor at home? If so, they likely want to see the trends not just the raw number. Ask what unit they recommend.
Old 09-11-2021, 04:47 AM

Well, we’ve been using an OMRON BP785CAN monitor for 8 or 10 years? My old doc had me bring it in and compared the results (him with scope vs machine) and they matched. He retired and my new young doc has the very same model in his office so I figure it’s more than good enough for us.
Old 09-11-2021, 04:48 AM

Smile

Yes, he's wanting me to get various readings twice a day (morning/evening) and then let him know. He got pretty detailed about how to take it properly. My wife and I both worked as Nurse aides when we were young and used the old fashioned cuff and stethoscope for patients then so I could go that route too. It would be fun irritating the wife anyway...."stop what your doing and come take my pressure"
Old 09-11-2021, 04:50 AM

Good to know about the Omron, it was one of the main brands I was looking at.
Old 09-11-2021, 07:18 AM

Default BP home units

I currently use the Lazzle JPD-HA101. I have had other units that stop pumping after a few months. I've had the JPD now for nearly 6 months and it is accurate. I have taken it to my DR visit for comparison. The readings are accurate.

I do know that BP readings in DR office can show high and can be elevated because the environment is uncomfortable. The chair is uncomfortable, the room is same etc etc.

Doing readings at home where you can relax is good idea.
Old 09-11-2021, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
That's it right there. I have several and all they do is take up space.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 09-15-2021, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

I took the wrist bp monitor that my brother gave me down to my PCP's office and compared the readings... found that the little "cuff unit" I use is very close to the readings at the doctor's office...

I agree that the "old school" method seems to be the most accurate, but, barring that, take your unit with you to the doc's next visit and see how it matches up!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic