The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-19-2021, 08:15 AM

Frets are in and the neck looks great!
Old 06-30-2021, 01:30 PM

Drew ordered some actual ebony buttons for the Gotos. He also worked on them to make them to more his liking. I think they look great.
Old 06-30-2021, 01:36 PM

In final set up and could be taking delivery very soon!!!!
I’m having Drew do the set up for the consistency and accuracy I’m looking for.
Old 06-30-2021, 03:08 PM

Stunning! I really admire the whole motif but know that it's a LOT of work and this guitar and the way all that beautiful abalone and purfling turned out so well is the result of lots of practice refining his craft. I can't begin to imagine how that guitar would even sound and I'm excited for you to experience that. Congratulations!
Old 06-30-2021, 07:59 PM

All that pearl sure is gorgeous. So clean and sexy, Drool! Excited for you to get it!
Old 07-01-2021, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone0305 View Post

Drew ordered some actual ebony buttons for the Gotos. He also worked on them to make them to more his liking. I think they look great.
Ebony for sure is the way to go on his headstock! (I would know, I have ebony buttons on gold too...)

Looking very nice!
Old 07-03-2021, 06:37 PM

Stunning guitars and workmanship. Congrats!
Old 07-06-2021, 09:49 AM

Thanks so much!
Old 07-06-2021, 11:46 PM

Got a tracking number today and will arrive Thursday!!! Woohoo!! Can’t wait to get my hands on this beauty! Drew mentioned that it’s not as “tight “ as most Adi tops he’s used. I’m so excited to share with y’all how it plays and sounds. Drew dialed in a traditional”Olson” set up for me. I need all the help I can get! [emoji28]
Cheers!
Old 07-07-2021, 01:50 AM
Charter Member

SO EXCITING, Congrats...!!!
Old 07-07-2021, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondave View Post
SO EXCITING, Congrats...!!!

Thanks much! I look forward to sharing how it sounds and plays.
Old 08-13-2021, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

Has the SJ made it to you yet? just wanted to stop back in. Thanks
1999' 814CE-BCE "25TH Anniversary"
2002' 814CE-LTD Cocobolo
2007' 914CE Sunburst Sitka/EIR
2004' 914CE L7 (Engelmann/Brazilian)
2015' Olson SJ JT Clone Series I
Old 08-15-2021, 08:46 AM

Default Comments on #46 Cedar / Madi Heinonen

Hello to all,

I've been lurking on this thread for some time and have been really humbled by the insights and expertise represented by other folks who have posted. I was truly blessed by being allowed to purchase Drew's #46 which was already in the build process very near the adi/madi in this post. I've had the SJ for about 6 weeks now but have been traveling on business for about half of that time - so only a few weeks of playing.

The Cedar / Madi is absolutely everything I hoped for. It is not yet quite as alive as my ultra light Sexauer build but continues to open up every time I play it. I wasn't sure how I would like the 12" radius neck but it is awesome! I'm nowhere near as proficient as most on this post but I can tell you for me the neck is faster than my Tippen 000 or Ryan MGC.

I've done the string changing thing looking for "that sound" and have settled somewhere between light and slightly light PB John Pearse. I don't care about longevity and the Pearse PB's enhance the "sparkle" already present in Drew's awesome build -- at least to my ear. I've only played an Olson SJ once for a few minutes years ago but it has always been stuck in my mind -- this Heinonen absolutely checks that off my personal "bucket list"-- its one of those few guitars that have drawn me in and make me want to become one with the instrument.

This is my first "new" custom built guitar and Drew was wonderful at every step of the way -- advising on last minute options and even buying a couple of different pick up end pins to see "which one looked better" at his cost.

Just wanted to reinforce all the good things folks are saying about Drew and his SJ's. For me this was a dream come true -- I hope at some point Drew can get access to some CNC equipment to take away some of the time consuming roughing work allowing his production volume to increase and let more folks have the same experience I've had.

Best to all and play on!
Heinonen SJ #046 in-process (Cedar/Madi)
Sexauer FT-16 circa 2006 (Itl spruce / Camatillo)
Tippin 000-12TC circa 2003 (Adir / Brz)
Ryan MGC circa 2001 (Cedar / EIR)
etc...
Old 09-13-2021, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by czorr1997 View Post
Has the SJ made it to you yet? just wanted to stop back in. Thanks

Sorry for my “going dark” but I received my SJ on July 8th. I’ve been preoccupied playing I guess! Ha! I think I might have missed 1-2 days playing it since I got it. Drew NAILED it! This this is amazing and everyone that plays it is blown away by it. So sparkly, responds to a very light touch and has tons of had room. This wood combo is extremely articulate, crisp and has amazing sustain. The neck is really fast and very comfortable. Also for a smaller size guitar it has a lot of volume.
Old 09-13-2021, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcasting View Post
Hello to all,

I've been lurking on this thread for some time and have been really humbled by the insights and expertise represented by other folks who have posted. I was truly blessed by being allowed to purchase Drew's #46 which was already in the build process very near the adi/madi in this post. I've had the SJ for about 6 weeks now but have been traveling on business for about half of that time - so only a few weeks of playing.

The Cedar / Madi is absolutely everything I hoped for. It is not yet quite as alive as my ultra light Sexauer build but continues to open up every time I play it. I wasn't sure how I would like the 12" radius neck but it is awesome! I'm nowhere near as proficient as most on this post but I can tell you for me the neck is faster than my Tippen 000 or Ryan MGC.

I've done the string changing thing looking for "that sound" and have settled somewhere between light and slightly light PB John Pearse. I don't care about longevity and the Pearse PB's enhance the "sparkle" already present in Drew's awesome build -- at least to my ear. I've only played an Olson SJ once for a few minutes years ago but it has always been stuck in my mind -- this Heinonen absolutely checks that off my personal "bucket list"-- its one of those few guitars that have drawn me in and make me want to become one with the instrument.

This is my first "new" custom built guitar and Drew was wonderful at every step of the way -- advising on last minute options and even buying a couple of different pick up end pins to see "which one looked better" at his cost.

Just wanted to reinforce all the good things folks are saying about Drew and his SJ's. For me this was a dream come true -- I hope at some point Drew can get access to some CNC equipment to take away some of the time consuming roughing work allowing his production volume to increase and let more folks have the same experience I've had.

Best to all and play on!

I couldn’t agree more. I’m using the new D’addario coated strings and they are great.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop