The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
You have to be careful what you say. A few years ago, I did a song-writing class for our daughter's middle school kids... turned out we had 45 minutes to write a song and get it on video. It was a fun class project.

Our daughter said that some of her current students want to learn to play guitar. She teaches math and science, btw. I said, "It is good to know that young people still want to learn how to play guitar. I guess if this whole being retired thing doesn't work out for me, I can busk on a street corner or give lessons like I did back in college for 25¢ per student, per class. (Yeah, that was a long time ago.)

She said, "You gave guitar lessons? Would you do that for my class?"

I said, "You know we are only here for 2 months, right?"

Apparently, she took that as "Yes." I got a call from her yesterday while Joan and I were grocery shopping... "You weren't joking about guitar lessons, were you? I mentioned that to my kids, and have permission from my principal for after school lessons..."

We already "volunteer" in her class for special projects (not sure it is volunteering when you are asked to do it) - today we will be working with the kids on building Gravity Cruisers (a science project sponsored by GM)... and apparently next week I'll be doing guitar lessons two days a week. Another "volunteer" project.

I will have to brush up on teaching techniques and come up with "age and situation appropriate" song choices. We'll see how much guitar interest there is. She sent permission slips home yesterday (she doesn't put things off).

While visiting with her last night, there was the obligatory "these are kids, not boat crew, so you have to watch your language and sarcasm..." discussion. Contrary to popular belief, I can behave in public when necessary. I do kinda enjoy making her sweat, though.

Does this mean I have to learn some Taylor Swift songs?? I really need to watch what I say around my kid, not just her students. I did lay down some ground rules: let's put a cap on it, say the first 5 that sign up; they have to have a guitar that they can use at home to practice; and most importantly: she will be there with me. I would need a chair and a whip to face these kids on my own. Yes, kidding. We haven't met this class yet - today is our first day with them. We've been doing this work in her classes for a decade now, and the kids have been good. She drives home the point to them that we are volunteering for this - treat them good so they'll want to come back.

No, this post isn't "carbon fiber related" other than the fact that I'll be using my X10 for this class. I feel like this CF sub-forum is a tight enough group that we can share... anyone know any 2-chord songs that 13 year olds might recognize?
Jim...

If you DM me your address I will send you a song book that I have created. You may find some worthwhile stuff there.

Cheers...

Todd
Old 02-07-2019, 12:56 PM
Guest 928

Jim;

Eatwodo and Todd offer help in a nice way--they've nudged me in to doing a bit more than advice. If you'd like, I'll put up a $100 for the student who makes the most advancement. Or divvy it up to different prizes for different levels, or whatever. If interested, PM your address and I'll forward the dinero.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

You folks make my heart happy - I love this sub-forum! Please know that I appreciate your very generous offers. I met some of the guitar students today, but we were quite busy with the Gravity Cruisers project. The first guitar class is Monday after school - I’ll know better about their needs at that point.

Our daughter said, “Since you’re going to be here on Monday, do you want to come a couple hours early and help my math-intervention kids with long division?”

“Sure...”. I was a math major in college... and I cannot tell my sweet daughter “No.”

Todd (Eastwood), a songbook could be very helpful, since the audiences I play for are grown ups, I could definitely use some help with easy song selections for that age. I will PM you when we get home. And I will be happy to pay for it.

At this point, I have no idea if any of these kids know anything about guitars, but they seem enthusiastic.

Thank you again for your kindness, folks.

Best wishes,
Jim
Old 02-07-2019, 06:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Todd (Eastwood), a songbook could be very helpful, since the audiences I play for are grown ups, I could definitely use some help with easy song selections for that age. I will PM you when we get home. And I will be happy to pay for it.
Todd's the Chicago guy offering songbooks. I (David Eastwood, aka 'eatswodo', the well-known typing error) am offering strings

Keep us posted - if any other particular need come up, I'm sure that many of us could rise to the challenge. 'tis a good thing that you are doing.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 02-07-2019, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

This deal would be ideal - it runs out pretty soon, though.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...0rd-80&index=2
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 02-07-2019, 07:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
Todd's the Chicago guy offering songbooks. I (David Eastwood, aka 'eatswodo', the well-known typing error) am offering strings

Keep us posted - if any other particular need come up, I'm sure that many of us could rise to the challenge. 'tis a good thing that you are doing.
Oops! My mistake - I was on my phone and it's a bit small to scroll back and forth. My apologies. Could have been my eyes welling up at the kindness here.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:22 PM

Jim, ask your daughter if there's a poor kid that can't afford even a cheap guitar but has initiative and deserves a break. I'll paypal you funds to cover a cheap guitar and give a kid a hand up.
Breedlove Blond Jumbo
Yamaha Silent Steel String
Old 02-07-2019, 09:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
Jim, ask your daughter if there's a poor kid that can't afford even a cheap guitar but has initiative and deserves a break. I'll paypal you funds to cover a cheap guitar and give a kid a hand up.
Again, my sincere thanks - I am overwhelmed by the kindness and generosity here. I need to see what the situation is, and that won't happen until Monday after school. I already told my daughter that I'd spring for a couple guitars if the situation calls for it. Dealing with this age, she let me know that there is always initial interest in any extracurricular activity, but that may fall off quickly when the reality sets in.

We have enjoyed volunteering in her class when we're here. I re-discover what a great, caring kid we have. She expects the best from her kids, and gives a bunch in return.

Thanks, again!

Jim
Old 02-07-2019, 09:51 PM
Charter Member

Good luck with the project, keep us posted (of course) .
Old 02-07-2019, 10:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChicagoTodd View Post
Nice job!

Hey....how do you do the drums? Are you actually playing the drums or are using some software to get that part of the track?

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago
Hi Todd,

I use a Yamaha DD65 electronic drum pad. It is me playing the drums. I made pedals for the bass drum and hi-hat that work a lot better than the footswitch type button they include. There are a lot of different drum sounds to select from, including some nice hand drum options.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Good luck with the project, keep us posted (of course) .
Thanks - will do.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi Todd,

I use a Yamaha DD65 electronic drum pad. It is me playing the drums. I made pedals for the bass drum and hi-hat that work a lot better than the footswitch type button they include. There are a lot of different drum sounds to select from, including some nice hand drum options.
Very cool!

Songbook sent!

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago
Old 02-07-2019, 11:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChicagoTodd View Post
Very cool!

Songbook sent!

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago
Thanks, Todd!
Old 02-08-2019, 04:17 AM

Default Guitar Class

Hi Jim,

I’m a newly retired middle school music teacher and have taught countless guitar classes at the middle/high school level. There are so many directions to go here.

Is there a music program at this school? You might want to contact them to see if they have guitars somewhere in the district you can use. I know you’re only there for a short while but you might be able to start a “guitar club” that can continue. If there are no guitars I would look into a “go fund me” to get guitars kids can sign out.

Don’t buy cheap student guitars if you can avoid it. I taught classes with cheap guitars and all I did most classes was walk around and tune them. I ended up buying Martin backpackers (I know-not good) but they stayed relatively in tune and were quiet. Also, a good setup will really help.

Guitar classes are popular with music teachers so there is a lot of material online.

BTW, I am also an avid sailor and bought owned a Suncat awhile ago based on your recommendation on the trailer sailors forum.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:05 AM

Captain,

If memory serves (and that is questionable these days) . . . "Puff the Magic Dragon" can be approximated using just D, G and C.

I assume that 13 year olds would recognize it, . . . even if they may think they are too old for the song

Good luck,
Jim K
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber