The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-26-2020, 05:59 AM

Default First ever recording

Greetings

I have recording a backing track on my phone, sent an email, then played it through the laptop and recorded the lead over the top simultaneously on my phone again. Will soon find an app or software that actually enables recording and playing for acoustic at the same time for enhanced quality.

Any feedback welcome, the chords are Gmaj Emin Bmin Cmaj with a G major scale.

Cheerio

I can't work out how to delete the original post that does not contain the sound file, with 80 views wanted to create another thread.
Old 05-26-2020, 06:15 AM

Lead is catchy. Had me bouncing along. Take the time to consider what you want to get out of recording. It’s a hobby (rabbit hole) that can take you on quite the journey.
‘20 Gibson 1960 Hummingbird reissue
‘16 Gibson Hummingbird Avant Guard (gigging guitar)

Note to self: Never play a guitar you aren’t willing to buy.
Old 05-26-2020, 06:30 AM

Thanks for the reply, yes certainly a new experience. Recording the backing tracks realised how similar they sounded also, but would like to see the benefits of recording and trying to get different sounds for sure.

Last edited by Raining Notes; 05-26-2020 at 06:17 PM.
Old 05-29-2020, 06:51 AM

Hi, nice attempt especially as you were using a phone.

If you bought something like a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface, you get a free digital audio Workstation free with it. So for very little money, you can begin recording with much greater flexibility. Obviously, you'll need a mic if your guitar is not an electro. The 2i2 will work with Mac, windows and iPad too. I have a 2i2 and for the money you can't go wrong.

One thing I would say, record some more and notice what happens when you begin to leave some more spaces. Imagine talking and how there are natural pauses as you breathe in. I guess that's why it's called phrasing.

Keep going.
Old 05-29-2020, 07:44 AM
Charter Member

If Your going down the rabbit hole of recording the first piece of advise is consider two things

First consider what is your actual budget range ( in dollars not vague terms like "wont't break the bank" etc?

What are you current and anticipated logistical needs. Number of simultaneous audio inputs and anticipated track total numbers.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 05-30-2020, 11:57 AM

Cool. What's the background instrument?
Old 05-31-2020, 05:08 AM

Hello

Yes thanks I thought the same thing actually, the recording picks up more sustain in the notes than what was hearing so will attempt more recordings trying to hit the right notes more than numbers.

Will check out all the recording recommendations I basically have no idea what is good, and would like to have some songs/chord progressions to eventually team up with other guitarists/bassists so don't really have visions at the moment for recording but it's recommended by allot of guitar teachers on Youtube.

The background instrument is the same just using a Yamaha C40, might also upload some chord progressions here or on sound cloud for others to improvise over, and need to experiment with where the microphone picks up the sound best.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD