The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-27-2020, 12:52 PM

Default non-wood fretboard: HPL vs. "Proprietary Reinforced Polymer"

Looking for a budget CF to ride in my car and resist the Florida heat. I need a nut smaller than 1 3/4", and prefer short scale. So I'm looking at the Lava Me 2 with HPL fretboard, or the Composite Acoustics (Peavey) Cargo with a "Proprietary Reinforced Polymer" fretboard. Any opinions on the difference? Would one stand up to the heat better? Lava Me would save me about $450, so if they're nearly equal, I'm going with Lava Me.
Old 02-27-2020, 01:34 PM

Have you considered the all-HPL Little Martin LXK2? I picked mine up used for $200. Didn't have a scratch on it, and was set up perfectly.
Old 02-27-2020, 01:36 PM

I think the tone of the Lava is pretty good but the CA I really like their tones.
Old 02-27-2020, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfox View Post
I think the tone of the Lava is pretty good but the CA I really like their tones.
Right, but I'm not concerned with tone. Looking for which will hold up better to heat in car.
Old 02-27-2020, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflehead View Post
Have you considered the all-HPL Little Martin LXK2? I picked mine up used for $200. Didn't have a scratch on it, and was set up perfectly.
It does look nice, but I don't think HPL neck and body will hold up like carbon in heat.
Old 02-27-2020, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanosecond View Post
Right, but I'm not concerned with tone. Looking for which will hold up better to heat in car.
I mean I think they are going to be similar. I do think the CA is going to be built a little better with the price tag you are paying for, but if you just want a cheap beater, then go for the cheapest option.

I'm also not sure what your main guitar is, but what if you sold your 'nicer' guitar to get a very nice carbon one like a McPherson or a CA GX?
Old 02-27-2020, 11:30 PM

My daughters 000XM separated at the bottom front to side edge. The luthier thought it was from heat. He got it back together fine, but I would not think Martin X guitars would do as well as CF in a hot car.
I would not keep any guitar in a hot car though.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion