The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-17-2020, 10:20 AM

Default Help me decide

Hello, I am new to this forum and this is my first post. So I am looking for a D-18 style guitar that's more affordable. The only real criteria is that it has to be all solid wood. I have it sort of narrowed down:

-Blueridge BR-140 or BR-160
-Eastman E1D, E2D or AC-320
-Recording King RD-310, RD-318 or RD-127
-Fender PM-1

All of these are $500-$650 new/used on Reverb, which is about my budget. I'm going to try to go to a high end music shop near me tomorrow, to play a few. Any suggestions are welcome.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:28 AM

If you get an opportunity to check out an Alvarez Masterworks, add that one on your list. I wasn’t looking when I stumbled upon them/it, nor do I play bluegrass, but the MD60BG model I have does a credible D18 impersonation.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:28 AM

I haven't played all the guitars your list, but I've found the BR-140 to sound a lot like a D-18. The BR-160 differs in that it has rosewood back and sides.

You might keep your eyes open for a BR-140A, since it and the BR-140 differ in nut width and aesthetics. The BR-140A also has a Adirondack top, but I don't think that makes much of a difference between the two.

IMO, Eastmans have a more modern tone than Martins, but your ears may say different.

Have fun checking them out.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

Are you familiar with the Farida guitars being imported by Elderly Instruments in Michigan? If you search the AGF you will find many complimentary threads about them.

This one would seem to fit your bill, and only a touch more than your budget.

https://www.elderly.com/collections/...tic-guitar-171

But note the one review, the poster felt it lacked bottom end, but praised its fit and finish.

I have one of their smaller models, and I love it (btw mine is not all solid).
Old 01-17-2020, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

Blueridge would be the way to go of the guitars on your list, the BR-140 and BR-140A are both very nice guitars and would definitely give you the closest to a D-18 sound. Also agree with another poster that Alvarez might be worth checking out.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Hello, I am new to this forum and this is my first post. So I am looking for a D-18 style guitar that's more affordable. The only real criteria is that it has to be all solid wood. I have it sort of narrowed down:

-Fender PM-1

All of these are $500-$650 new/used on Reverb, which is about my budget. I'm going to try to go to a high end music shop near me tomorrow, to play a few. Any suggestions are welcome.
Welcome to Acoustic Guitar Forum. As you try out various guitars, you'll find that they may play and sound different from each other. Take someone with you who knows guitars because there may be other criteria besides solid wood that may enter into your choice. You identified a D-18-like guitar as your target, but older D18s had 1 11/16" nuts while the newer ones have 1 3/4". I didn't use to think that 1/16" should make much difference but it can. Other considerations might be depth of the box, scale length and 12 vs 14 frets above the body. All dreadnoughts are not necessarily the same size. However, all things being equal, I'd opt for an Eastman E6D. Eastman makes really nice dreadnoughts IMO. Before you dismiss this because it would be over your budget, keep in mind that it's common to get decent discounts from dealers on new guitars just by asking. Don't be embarrassed to put some feelers out and just ask, "What's your best price on this guitar?" You might be surprised that a new guitar with a warranty ends up costing less than a used one. Good luck....

Last edited by RP; 01-17-2020 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Are you familiar with the Farida guitars being imported by Elderly Instruments in Michigan? If you search the AGF you will find many complimentary threads about them.
I saw these on their website, when I looked. I live in the Detroit area, so Elderly was one of the stores I was going to go to. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
You might keep your eyes open for a BR-140A, since it and the BR-140 differ in nut width and aesthetics. The BR-140A also has a Adirondack top, but I don't think that makes much of a difference between the two.
Yeah, I've heard nothing but good things about Blueridges. The narrow necks on them are the only thing making me consider something else. I'm a big guy with big hands so I already have issues with regular sized guitar necks being to small.
Old 01-17-2020, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I saw these on their website, when I looked. I live in the Detroit area, so Elderly was one of the stores I was going to go to. Thanks for the suggestion.

Yeah, I've heard nothing but good things about Blueridges. The narrow necks on them are the only thing making me consider something else. I'm a big guy with big hands so I already have issues with regular sized guitar necks being to small.
That is great you can try out a Farida, I had to buy based only on reviews. And btw the "W" in Farida model numbers stands for wide, so look for that, they make necks in both of the most popular widths.

I am also a fan of Blueridges, but the ones I have played do have narrower necks.
Old 01-17-2020, 11:53 AM

I have the Eastman E2D and also the Alvarez MD60BG that others mentioned, and they both are incredible guitars with tons of volume. I also have recently played a D18 and the Alvarez is really close to it and some would even say it sounds as good. Below is a good link to a review of the Alvarez and a Martin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tY0...=emb_rel_pause

You can't go wrong with the Eastman E2D either. I have only had it for a few weeks and every time I strum it I am amazed by it's beautiful tone.

Last edited by Ncbandit; 01-17-2020 at 12:09 PM.
Old 01-17-2020, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

First off, Welcome!

there are many good options

the Eastman E6D would have the same woods as a D18

this model is my favorite Eastman, and I've had many

Old 01-17-2020, 12:01 PM

Quote:

-Fender PM-1

I suggest you go play a ton of guitars locally and then pick from what you play and like.

I just saw a video about a recording studio selecting a Steinway piano model D. They went to the Steinway factory to select one of 5 pianos, that I assume cost in the area of $100k (each). They found all to be different, though made by the same hands, with the same wood, frame, etc. If the world's most renowned piano maker cannot produce instruments that sound the same from unit to unit, you can imagine it is impossible to know what you will get from brand/model alone with a $500 guitar.

So, my advice would be use the models you listed as starting points, but there is no substitute for demoing your own specific guitar. The chances of buyer's remorse will go down significantly if you forget brand/model and just go buy a guitar that you yourself can choose and love. JMO
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 01-17-2020, 12:10 PM

If you are lucky enough to find an e2d to try on see if they have the Cedar ac122. I cant find any e2d, e2om or cedar ac122s on the east coast..
Old 01-17-2020, 12:32 PM

My suggestion would be that you play them all. Factory production guitars (by whatever maker) follow kind of a "bell curve" of quality - a few dogs, many mediocre, and a few really good ones. The really good ones cost the same as the "dogs" and the "run of the mill" so you may as well play them all and have the pick of the litter.
Old 01-17-2020, 12:51 PM

Eastman.

Not "the same" as a Martin, but every bit as good.
Old 01-17-2020, 01:23 PM

Welcome to the forum.

Check out the Martin Custom D on either the Guitar Center or Musician's Friend websites. It's an all-solid wood, sitka/mahogany dreadnought that is 90% the same guitar as a D-18, with a few minor exceptions:
* simple dovetail neck joint
* satin finish
* 1 11/16" nut width
* non-scalloped braces.

It still has the great tone and playability as the D-18, but costs just under $1,000. I own one and love it. For me, it's preferable to a D-18 because of the narrower nut width.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion