The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-17-2019, 11:43 PM

Default Pedalboard order - ToneDexter

Hi all,

I'm an early adopter of the ToneDexter, and I'm a huge fan. I've gigged with it in every kind of situation with several different instruments, and it's great every time.

I'm new to pedalboards, however, and I want to make sure that I have the TD in the proper place. It's super basic: Tuner ---->TD--->delay --->reverb --->to house or amp/PA. Sound right, putting the TD before the effects? (and yes, I obviously know that the TD has a tuner. I'm just accustomed to using the Peterson Stobo-flip, so I stay with it.)

Thanks!

Jenn
Old 06-18-2019, 03:42 AM

Why not use the effects loop? I use a Korg Pitchblack+ combo strobe tuner and selector switch (allows me to tune and use two instruments) before the TD and have TC mini HOF reverb and Corona chorus pedals in the loop.

FYI, I also feed the 1/4" output of the TD to a Baggs Session DI which gives me two options for the XLR to the house PA...at a quiet venue I used the TD out, at noisier ones a bit of compression from the Session DI Comp EQ helps.

All of this fits quite nicely on a Pedaltrain Mini (or Metro 20) board...and gets powered by a Power-All 2A 9B power supply.

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 06-18-2019, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennconducts View Post
Hi all,

I'm an early adopter of the ToneDexter, and I'm a huge fan. I've gigged with it in every kind of situation with several different instruments, and it's great every time.

I'm new to pedalboards, however, and I want to make sure that I have the TD in the proper place. It's super basic: Tuner ---->TD--->delay --->reverb --->to house or amp/PA. Sound right, putting the TD before the effects? (and yes, I obviously know that the TD has a tuner. I'm just accustomed to using the Peterson Stobo-flip, so I stay with it.)

Thanks!

Jenn
Jenn,

That's the order I've used, only difference is a compressor which is 1st in line and I also use a looper which is last.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:33 AM

I’m curious why you’ve chosen to not use the effects loop.
Old 06-18-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_t View Post
I’m curious why you’ve chosen to not use the effects loop.
Hi,
I haven't really chosen, I'm just ignorant!
So instrument------>TD----->reverb and delay chained into the effects loop---->TD to house. Is that the idea?

Thanks
Old 06-18-2019, 06:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennconducts View Post
Hi,
I haven't really chosen, I'm just ignorant!
So instrument------>TD----->reverb and delay chained into the effects loop---->TD to house. Is that the idea?

Thanks
That's what I would do, Jenn. Here's the diagram from AudioSprocket's site:

I'm not sure about the tuner - I don't know if the effects loop is live while TD is muted offhand. You don't like TD's built-in tuner?
Old 06-18-2019, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
That's what I would do, Jenn. Here's the diagram from AudioSprocket's site:

I'm not sure about the tuner - I don't know if the effects loop is live while TD is muted offhand. You don't like TD's built-in tuner?
Thanks, friend. I don't really DISLIKE the TD's tuner, but I'm so used to reading stobe tuners, both in guitar life and, for decades, in the other part of my musical life.

Cheers. Haven't seen you in too long! BTW, I have a new Baranik coming in, and in that one, I'm trying the basic under saddle by David Enke, for a simple path for TD.

Jenn
Old 06-18-2019, 07:25 PM
Charter Member

I saw your Baranik photo on facebook, looks great! I'm not sure I've heard of anyone using the OS UST with TD yet, I sure haven't tried it. Will look forward to hearing how it works for you.

You could certainly just put your tuner ahead of TD if necessary, especially if it's true bypass.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:51 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hey Jenn,
ToneDexter keeps the effects send alive even when it is muting the other outputs, so that you can keep a tuner in the effects loop if you so choose. If your tuner can be set to pass through mode (some can), it will then always be on, whether TD is muting or not. That can be a useful option.

Even if your tuner is not capable of pass through mode, and you don't need anything else in the effects loop, it is possible to push a 1/4" mono plug into the effects jack half way so that it can grab the send signal (from TIP) and feed it to the tuner. With this method the effects return (on RING) will still be normalled through to TD's outputs. Same end results as the above paragraph.
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup
Old 06-21-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
Hey Jenn,
ToneDexter keeps the effects send alive even when it is muting the other outputs, so that you can keep a tuner in the effects loop if you so choose. If your tuner can be set to pass through mode (some can), it will then always be on, whether TD is muting or not. That can be a useful option.

Even if your tuner is not capable of pass through mode, and you don't need anything else in the effects loop, it is possible to push a 1/4" mono plug into the effects jack half way so that it can grab the send signal (from TIP) and feed it to the tuner. With this method the effects return (on RING) will still be normalled through to TD's outputs. Same end results as the above paragraph.
Thanks, James. Hoping that all is well with you and yours. I continue to be a cheerleader for your marvelous company, and I always get compliments on my sound.
Cheers!
Jenn

Last edited by jennconducts; 06-22-2019 at 12:53 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification