The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-12-2020, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

Default 17th fret issue driving me crazy

Built an OM recently, everything was great except I was getting a dead note on the 17th fret, high e string only. Yes, t's a 14 fret guitar and I know using the 17th is unlikely, but more of a piece of mind that all frets ring out properly. After a couple days to settle in, no more dead plunk, but I now specifically get a note that is several steps higher in pitch than what it should be. The note rings out fine, plays fine, just at an improper pitch on this particular fret only (and this particular string only). No other note on the guitar is off, everything is perfect.. except for one fret (17th), on the high E string only. If there were other notes off I could see it being an intonation issue, but there are not. What could this be?

I've checked over for fret issues, looked for high spots, also went over the fret really well to make sure it is seated properly, etc. It appears fine. Any thoughts? It's driving me crazy. Guitar is perfect other than this. Plays great, nice action, no problems during set up. Just this one fret on the high E string only.
Old 11-12-2020, 08:13 AM

Likely when you fret it at that fret it is bottoming out on a fret several frets higher. Identify the pitch of the note that is sounding, and that is the fret at which the string is actually bottoming out. You can then determine what about the geometry is causing that and how to remedy it.
Old 11-12-2020, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
Likely when you fret it at that fret it is bottoming out on a fret several frets higher. Identify the pitch of the note that is sounding, and that is the fret at which the string is actually bottoming out. You can then determine what about the geometry is causing that and how to remedy it.
Yes, it is matching the pitch of one of the higher frets exactly. That makes sense! I'll look into it.
Old 11-12-2020, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

Question I had just answer above.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 11-12-2020, 11:42 AM

Make sure that fret is not loose on the treble end.
Old 11-12-2020, 08:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
Thank you!! This worked great..I found the pitch of the fret (19th) that it was sounding at, hit it with the file for a few... smoothed everything out, and all frets are playing proper!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair