The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-16-2020, 09:52 PM

Default Which Bushings Do I Need.....

.....to replace the Schaller Grand Tune open tuners on my 2017 Martin HD-28 with Waverly's from Stew-Mac?

I emailed this question to their support and they replied "likely we have something that will work for your guitar. Unfortunately we are unable to cross-reference that information."

So one of the best known and biggest luthier suppliers has absolutely no idea which of the bushings they make and sell will fit on one of the most common bluegrass guitars in the world?

Maybe someone here on the AGF would know? Thanks.
Old 11-16-2020, 10:13 PM

Looking at the Schaller dimensions online, the bushings have an OD of 8.8 mm (0.346"). I then looked at the Stew Mac catalog online, where it shows the #3456 hex tapered bushing measurement of 0.348" under the collar.
Old 11-17-2020, 05:08 AM

Thanks John!
Old 11-17-2020, 07:40 AM

https://www.stewmac.com/video-and-id...ur-martin.html

Saw this on the stewmac website, might be helpful.
Old 11-19-2020, 03:37 PM

Default I’d be interested to hear why you want to swap out the tuners...

In my experience the Schaller Grand Tunes feel much nicer than Waverleys which always fee relatively stiff to turn.
Old 11-25-2020, 01:46 PM

Background:
I really don't like metal or pearloid tuner buttons. I've replaced tuners and or buttons on several instruments to have ebony.

I've ordered a lot from Stew-Mac over the years. They are very good about accepting returns if things don't fit or don't work.

Update:
I went ahead and ordered nickel Waverly tuners with ebony buttons. Their tech support was not helpful, but their website indicates the problem with some tuners (including Schaller) is that the outside diameter of the bushings is so much greater than the Waverly bushings that they don't fully fill or cover the old Schaller hole.

So with their adapter bushings being $10 a set I bought a couple in different sizes along with the new tuners. Everything arrived yesterday.

It turns out the Waverly roller shafts measure .229" and the Schaller's are .218". The Waverly rollers will NOT fit in the Schaller bushings (as expected). The new Waverly bushing OD is .342" and will NOT fit into the existing holes for the Schaller bushings. Also the distance across the hex flats is the same for each, about .380".

Bottom line - it looks like the standard Waverly bushings will work just fine after I pull the old Schaller's, press out the bushings, ream for the new bushings and polish up my headstock while I have everything off. Still waiting for the Virtuoso polish to arrive.
Old 12-04-2020, 08:04 PM
Charter Member

Someone who has done this told me these were required. Conversion bushings to go from Schaller to Waverly. I have not tried them personally.

https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-ha...r-bushing.html

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair