The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-03-2020, 10:57 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default 2020 commemorative build - 'new horizons'(restored photos)

First, I just want to take a quick moment to thank all those involved in the leadership and monitoring of the AGF. I greatly appreciate all aspects of this forum and how it is run. It was recently pointed out to me that my sponsorship status had expired. I remedied the situation immediately. I felt rather embarrassed that I had somehow missed the renewal notice. (am I getting old and forgetful? YIKES. no, I am sure this was a freak moment....) I am more than interested in helping to keep this forum alive and available. It is a wonderful community to be a part of, particularly the custom shop section.

I have met a number of wonderful luthiers who contribute to this forum, while exhibiting at shows together like LaConner, Vancouver, Wintergrass, Portland, etc. (remember the good ole days?) It has been without exception, a privilege and honor to become friends with many them.

2020 has been a most difficult year for many of us. The loss, pain, fear of the future, and on it goes. But I just want to say how much I cherish my friendships with all of my luthier friends, all my clients I have built guitars for, all my relationships with folks in the music community. Because I just want to affirm that we are involved in some of the most important and meaningful work in the world. The therapy of music is unmatched. It is one of the most effective healing agents mankind has ever known and it is a profound privilege to be a part of it. Perhaps it is as important now in our history as it has ever been. So please press on, hold those you love very close, and lean into the music that will help us and keep hope alive.

That said I wanted to post a recent build I did that was inspired by what 2020 has brought. I will include a link to a youTube video to help describe the story of it along with some photos. If you do take the time to view the video, you'll get a better feel for the idea behind the build. I also was intentional about choosing french polish as the finish for this guitar as it is in keeping with the theme. As you know, french polish is a wonderful finish but a very fragile one. One that will mark and scare rather easily which in some ways represents
a more real life experience, that of, at times we find ourselves holding visible pain and agony with love and even joy all at the same time. Thanks for looking.
The guitar is my parlor model.
12-fret
24.9 scale.
Bastogne walnut back and sides (5-piece)
Sitka spruce top
bolivian rosewood finger board and bridge
padauk bindings
1 3/4 at the nut, 2 1/4 at the saddle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctlm-H2bu8U&t=26s

my current guitars;
2014 personal build eir/cedar 25.4
2020 Irvin SJ eir/tunnel 13 redwood top 25.5

guitars I have owned;
1977 Martin D-28
2006 Tom Doerr Legacy Select
1956 Gretsch White Falcon
2011 Taylor GA3e
1967 Silvertone
1969 Stella Harmony

Last edited by WayneJohnson; 11-17-2020 at 09:29 AM. Reason: restored photos
Old 11-03-2020, 08:36 PM
Charter Member

Smile WELL PUT, SIR!

"2020 has been a most difficult year for many of us. The loss, pain, fear of the future, and on it goes. But I just want to say how much I cherish my friendships with all of my luthier friends, all my clients I have built guitars for, all my relationships with folks in the music community. Because I just want to affirm that we are involved in some of the most important and meaningful work in the world. The therapy of music is unmatched. It is one of the most effective healing agents mankind has ever known and it is a profound privilege to be a part of it. Perhaps it is as important now in our history as it has ever been. So please press on, hold those you love very close, and lean into the music that will help us and keep hope alive."

I couldn't agree more
Having had the wonderful privilege of playing solo acoustic for healthcare and senior facilities 15-25 or more times a month for the last 9 years, I sure agree about the healing aspects of live music. It was impossible to miss!
I hope to get to continue when this mess is under control.

Everyone hang in there and stay healthy!

Beautiful instrument!

Salud

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More

Last edited by TomB'sox; 11-16-2020 at 09:07 AM. Reason: amended quote
Old 11-04-2020, 03:49 PM
AGF Sponsor

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
"2020 has been a most difficult year for many of us. The loss, pain, fear of the future, and on it goes. But I just want to say how much I cherish my friendships with all of my luthier friends, all my clients I have built guitars for, all my relationships with folks in the music community. Because I just want to affirm that we are involved in some of the most important and meaningful work in the world. The therapy of music is unmatched. It is one of the most effective healing agents mankind has ever known and it is a profound privilege to be a part of it. Perhaps it is as important now in our history as it has ever been. So please press on, hold those you love very close, and lean into the music that will help us and keep hope alive."

I couldn't agree more
Having had the wonderful privilege of playing solo acoustic for healthcare and senior facilities 15-25 or more times a month for the last 9 years, I sure agree about the healing aspects of live music. It was impossible to miss!
I hope to get to continue when this mess is under control.

Everyone hang in there and stay healthy!

Beautiful instrument!

Salud

Paul
Thank you so much Paul. I hope you get back out there playing again soon too!!

my current guitars;

guitars I have owned;
1977 Martin D-28
2011 Taylor GA3e
1967 Silvertone
1969 Stella Harmony

Last edited by TomB'sox; 11-16-2020 at 09:07 AM. Reason: amended quote
Old 11-05-2020, 01:12 AM
Charter Member

Nice thread and thoughts Wayne. It is good to remember just how much music (and guitars) mean to us and others, particularly this year.

And great that you used walnut, one of my favourite woods. I might go and play my walnut guitar now!
Old 11-05-2020, 08:56 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
Nice thread and thoughts Wayne. It is good to remember just how much music (and guitars) mean to us and others, particularly this year.

And great that you used walnut, one of my favourite woods. I might go and play my walnut guitar now!
Hi Collins,
thanks for the kind words. I have loved working with walnut it has proved to be a wonderful tonewood.

my current guitars;

guitars I have owned;
1977 Martin D-28
2011 Taylor GA3e
1967 Silvertone
1969 Stella Harmony
Old 11-16-2020, 09:00 AM
AGF Sponsor

Hi Wayne, glad I caught this thread, and thanks for posting!
The guitar sounds great, by the way.
But "Burned Walnut"? Did you flame-treat the wood? It's quite attractive.

Steve K

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 11-16-2020, 09:08 AM

Congrats on a great looking guitar and the sentiment behind its building! And thank you for your support of the AGF.
Old 11-16-2020, 09:46 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
Hi Wayne, glad I caught this thread, and thanks for posting!
The guitar sounds great, by the way.
But "Burned Walnut"? Did you flame-treat the wood? It's quite attractive.

Steve K
Thanks Steve for the kind words. Yes, that is how I did it. A little more back story is, while bending the walnut sides in my bending machine, I accidentally burned one side. I have never had this happen before as I take great care and caution during all my bending operations. The burn was too deep, I was quite embarrassed (but also glad no one saw me do this, I put that set of sides aside, thinking I have ruined the wood. Fortunately I had another matching set for the guitar I was working on and completed it. But, as you likely relate, I did not toss the sides for some reason. I hate to throw out any good wood, so I just left them in a spot in my shop as a reminder to myself, etc. Later, when all the COVID hit, along with the many other very sad and difficult things occurring across our country, racial injustices etc. I got the idea to build this guitar. I began to feel excited about the concept of "redeeming" these otherwise thought of as useless sides and the whole idea of this guitar came about. I tested torching some scrap piece and thought, hey this might be a meaningful way of giving hope to this difficult season. So I built it the way I did.

Little did I know that several weeks after I built the guitar, my wife's brother was found dead in his Brooklyn apartment. He had taken his own life, he was just 53. In our 35 years of marriage I had never experienced such grief and agony of the heart that I watch my wife go through. She is beginning to heal now, and we have drawn even deeper and closer together through it, but this type of death brings very unique challenges. It did make the guitar even more meaningful as the family requested my son, daughter and myself perform some of her brother's favorite songs during his memorial service, affirming again to me the profound importance and impact music has in our healing process. It gave me a greater appreciation for what all of us luthiers are privileged to do.

It is far more than a passion for wood and steel, it goes way beyond that.

my current guitars;

guitars I have owned;
1977 Martin D-28
2011 Taylor GA3e
1967 Silvertone
1969 Stella Harmony
Old 11-16-2020, 09:47 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Congrats on a great looking guitar and the sentiment behind its building! And thank you for your support of the AGF.
Thanks Tom, really appreciate it.

my current guitars;

guitars I have owned;
1977 Martin D-28
2011 Taylor GA3e
1967 Silvertone
1969 Stella Harmony

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop