The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-10-2020, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi Ron et al, I may be wrong (I was once before) but that body and the fretboard looks like Harmony Sovereign shape to me.
Thoughts?

Maybe it could be sent to Mr Baxendale? http://baxendaleguitar.com/index.html
My thought too. That looks like a dead ringer for a Harmony Sovereign 1260. Those things are wonderful....
Old 11-10-2020, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Hayden View Post
My thought too. That looks like a dead ringer for a Harmony Sovereign 1260. Those things are wonderful....
It's definitely a Regal, but I think that Harmony, Kay, and Regal might be made in the same factory with similar if not exact plans and styles.

It doesn't mention that in what I have been able to find out about Regal guitars though.

And yes, it has ladder bracing and it gives such a rich and tone quality sound that I have yet to find another guitar, including brand names, that sound as good to me. Of course, I might be sentimentally influenced too.

I have just put the bridge on and worked on the sound board to shine it up and I'm going to string it up tomorrow and check the neck angle. If the action is not too bad I might just leave it alone.

If it's a little bad, I might do a steam neck reset.

Ron
Old 11-12-2020, 02:02 AM

Completely worth the time you’re putting into it. I’ve had a few over the years - buy, repair, play, and often pass them on to people who need them more. They’re better than they get credit for.

Subway Guitars has a few of them at any given time and they’re mostly ladder braced like yours, though I did score an x braced one from them that I was a fool to have sold, no matter the amount.
Old 11-12-2020, 06:02 AM

Default Here's the latest progress on the Regal

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Hayden View Post
Completely worth the time you’re putting into it. I’ve had a few over the years - buy, repair, play, and often pass them on to people who need them more. They’re better than they get credit for.

Subway Guitars has a few of them at any given time and they’re mostly ladder braced like yours, though I did score an x braced one from them that I was a fool to have sold, no matter the amount.

I spent yesterday morning sanding, polishing and then waxing the soundboard and she don't look half bad now.

[IMG][/IMG]

It's time to put some strings on her and see how the neck looks.
I'm going to use some very light gauge strings called "silk and steel" they don't put a lot of pull stress on the neck or bridge.
These are 10 gauge. Most likely I will most likely switch to 11s after it's all said and done, for these strings will sound very thin.... well because they are thin. big_smile

First I had to put in the saddle and I sanded it down until it was a light press fit into the saddle slot.

I used a drill and a winder made for drills and power screwdrivers. One of the reason's is that the low E (6th string) tuning head is geared to 39 to 1, if I remember right and that means that I have to turn the key 39 times for the string post to go around once.
There's a lot of turning when you are first stringing up a guitar.

I tuned her up and The Regal is now alive and singing for the first time in a little over 20 yrs.

Here' what she sounds like. The camera really doesn't capture the rich sound she makes.
It was an emotional moment when I played that first chord off camera.

Plus light gauge strings always sound thinner than heavier gauge strings, but they are easy on the fingers and that's what I wanted until I get some calluses on my finger tips.

The neck is going to need a reset, but today, I'm a very happy man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mIDQGpnG2w

Ron
Old 11-13-2020, 09:57 PM

Beautiful work.
Old 11-13-2020, 10:04 PM

Default first time

Thank you M Hayden.

Since it didn't have a lacquer finish any more so I used some sand paper starting at 400 grit up to 1200(?) grit and then some Semi-Chrome polish and followed up with some Renaissance Wax.

I have never fixed a guitar before but after watching Jerry Rosa's videos and his work at Rosa String Works, I felt confident to be able to bring this old girl back to life. It's turning out ok.

Thanks,
Ron

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair