The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-11-2020, 08:57 AM

Default Removing back off of old Gibson Archtop

Has anyone used this method before? I've only ever done this once on an archtop guitar and couple mandolins and in those cases I removed the binding and found that to be very difficult. So I find this method attractive and it seems like it should work well. The only thing I wish Dan did was describe how he deals with the head and tail block in a bit more detail.

https://www.stewmac.com/video-and-id...bson-l-5-.html
Old 11-11-2020, 06:37 PM

Last one I did, I left the binding attached to the sides instead of the back. The binding was partially missing so I had a good place to start.
Old 11-12-2020, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnjp View Post
Last one I did, I left the binding attached to the sides instead of the back. The binding was partially missing so I had a good place to start.
It popped off surprisingly well. That old casein glue they used just turns to dust.

Old 11-12-2020, 05:29 PM

Boy I wish I knew the guy who is going to get that so I could play it . . . Oh wait, I do. Are you going to post pictures of those two OOOs you finished, or are you afraid you’re going to be besieged with requests to make more? Don’t mind raising the issue; I’ve got mine, everyone else can fend for themselves.
Old 11-12-2020, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsepicker View Post
Boy I wish I knew the guy who is going to get that so I could play it . . . Oh wait, I do. Are you going to post pictures of those two OOOs you finished, or are you afraid you’re going to be besieged with requests to make more? Don’t mind raising the issue; I’ve got mine, everyone else can fend for themselves.
Ha! If I was a paying member I might consider it but I do have more work then I can handle these days. I've put this one off for too long I hope it makes P's day.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair