The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-06-2020, 07:33 AM

Default Early Vienese Guitar: What do you think is going on here?

I'm stumped on this one. At first I thought perhaps this was done intentionally for tonal reasons like for example scalloping those 1970's Martin Dreds. Then after taking pics and looking close I see that the cut is in line with the crack that was repaired some time in the past. I've never seen a brace crack like this before so perfectly across the grain so it *must have been cut?

And you can see where the missing part of the brace was pealed away.

The guitar sounds great. I'd have to remove the back to fix it properly since the sound hole is so small. So I don't plan on doing anything. Structurally it appears sound enough too.

Just thought I'd show off a little and see if anyone else has any ideas on the detective work.

EDIT: I just thought of something. The crack is not splinted. So it doesn't appear that someone ran a saw through the crack to open it up and accidentally sawed through the brace. Thought I suppose the is possible. It could be that they cut through half the brace which later broke. But it just doesn't look like that from the top. But that is a plausible answer.

Last edited by redir; 12-14-2020 at 09:57 AM.
Old 11-06-2020, 08:18 AM

That's a head scratcher.

Brace probably was scalloped on the end like the other brace. Brace may have spilt away from the remaining portion. Loose end was cut off to stop the buzzing. But, if a saw could be put in to cut it, why not glue it to repair it.

Maybe if the fretboard (and neck) is removed, a skinny arm could get inside to work to cut it off. Replacing it, as you said, is a different story without better access.

Split brace could have been the stress riser causing the crack due to differential expansion/contraction.

Amazing that there is so little damage/wear to the top due to the lack of a bridge plate.
Old 11-06-2020, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonWint View Post
That's a head scratcher.

Brace probably was scalloped on the end like the other brace. Brace may have spilt away from the remaining portion. Loose end was cut off to stop the buzzing. But, if a saw could be put in to cut it, why not glue it to repair it.

Maybe if the fretboard (and neck) is removed, a skinny arm could get inside to work to cut it off. Replacing it, as you said, is a different story without better access.

Split brace could have been the stress riser causing the crack due to differential expansion/contraction.

Amazing that there is so little damage/wear to the top due to the lack of a bridge plate.
Yeah it's always fun to do detective work on stuff like this. I just got one in today, a guitar made in 1840's, a Schmidt & Maul, which is signed by the maker in pencil on the soundboard inside and then another signature and date of 1896 from a guy who repaired it..
Old 11-10-2020, 01:27 PM

I would guess the brace was cut, possibly for tonal reasons and then the top cracked.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair