The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 07-25-2021, 09:49 PM
Charter Member

Default Father & Son -- Wanted, Dead or Alive

This is an acoustic version of Jon Bon Jovi's and Richie Sambora's song, "Wanted Dead or Alive" first released in 1986. I am playing my Guild model F512 12-string and my son, Ian, is playing a Fender Precision Bass.

We are splitting up the singing duties as well as singing harmony with each other. What a treat and honor it is to sing with Ian! And I love the depth his bass brings to the song!

I hope you like this! Thanks for watching!

- Glenn
Old 07-25-2021, 10:19 PM
Charter Member

That was amazing Glenn. I keep thinking the last one is your best yet and you just keep raising the bar!

So cool to share your son with us too.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 07-25-2021, 11:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
That was amazing Glenn. I keep thinking the last one is your best yet and you just keep raising the bar!

So cool to share your son with us too.
Thank you Bob!

I'm so very pleased that you like this! I have been waiting for Ian to have a break in his schedule for a couple of months so he could do this with me, and he finally had a window we could squeeze into.

Compared to Ian's voice, I definitely sound like the weak sister in this video, but that's okay. As I noted, it's a huge treat and an honor to be able to do this kind of thing with him.

I hope all is well for you Bob! Be well!

- Glenn
Old 07-25-2021, 11:59 PM

Never liked this song until now, great job!
Old 07-26-2021, 03:49 AM

Fantastic Glenn (and Ian) - one of my favourites from the 80's and you just nailed this.

Great guitar choice with the Guild, and the bass just adds weight and substance. Great vocals from both of you and a really tidy production.

Made my day - thanks :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 07-26-2021, 05:41 AM

Glenn,
I've always liked this song, so I pressed the play button with great anticipation.
Sounded great!

Tom
Old 07-26-2021, 05:56 AM

I've never heard the song but WOW did y'all do a great job on it - love the harmony! And it's cool to do it with your son on bass, that really adds to the mix.

My Woodworking YouTube channel - David Falkner Woodworking --------------------------------------------
Martin, Gallagher, Guild, Takamine, Falkner
Old 07-26-2021, 06:07 AM

Dadgum! I've never heard that song, but it's a good thing it's already been released by "name" celebrity- y'all knocked it out of the park and the original would have a hard time being as good. It's hard to beat a good ballad for showing off skills and y'all did it in spades!
Old 07-26-2021, 06:35 AM

Glenn,
Wonderful rendition of a personal favorite of mine!

I see the apple did not fall far from the tree, as your son is very talented as well!

What a great feeling it must be, to perform as a duo with one’s offspring!

Thank you for sharing, and hope all is well with you, and yours!

Bill
Old 07-26-2021, 07:38 AM

Glenn and Ian! Just awesome. What can be better than playing music with your son...wait...I know...playing music with your son and sounding incredible. Bravo!
Encore!
Old 07-26-2021, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesa View Post
Never liked this song until now, great job!
Hi Mesa!

Thank you for the compliment! I never liked this song, either, until I heard Jon Bon Jovi and Richie Sambora do it accoustically. Once I heard this (below), I thought, "Man, I wonder if I could talk Ian (my son) into doing this with me." He liked the idea, but I had to wait a couple of months before his schedule thinned out so he'd finally have time.

I'm so pleased that you thought this came out well. Thanks for taking time to watch and comment!

- Glenn
Old 07-26-2021, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
Fantastic Glenn (and Ian) - one of my favourites from the 80's and you just nailed this.

Great guitar choice with the Guild, and the bass just adds weight and substance. Great vocals from both of you and a really tidy production.

Made my day - thanks :-)
Thank you Peter!

I'm delighted that you thought this came out well! Thanks so much for watching and taking time to comment!

I'm glad you had the same reaction about the addition of the bass that I did. "...adds weight.." is just the right description.

Ian has my old 1972 Guild F212 12-string and my first thought was to play two 12-strings for accompaniment on this song. But that instrumental intro takes some time and work to learn and he just didn't have the time for that. At some point I suggested, why don't you play bass? Ian thought, yeah, that would be easier, and it would do more than just duplicate the accompaniment on two 12-strings.

In the end I think having Ian play bass was even better than two 12-strings.

Thanks so much for your thoughts and comments Peter!

I hope all is well for you and your family!

- Glenn
Old 07-26-2021, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJN View Post
Glenn,
I've always liked this song, so I pressed the play button with great anticipation.
Sounded great!

Tom
Thank you Tom!

I am so glad you like this cover! It does help, I'm sure, when you already know and like the song!

I'm glad you were not disappointed! Thanks so much for taking time to watch and comment here! Much appreciated!

- Glenn
Old 07-26-2021, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by difalkner View Post
I've never heard the song but WOW did y'all do a great job on it - love the harmony! And it's cool to do it with your son on bass, that really adds to the mix.
Hi David!

As far as giving you some reference to the original artists, you might check out the Bon Jovi/Sambora duo in the video below:

I am so very gratified, David, that you enjoyed this even when you don't know the song. And as you note, it was a lot of fun to do this with Ian. He has so many musical and intellectual skills and such a generous spirit that he is a real joy to do a project like this with. And after all these years, even I found it interesting to listen to the contrast and comparisons in our voices.

I'm also glad you found the bass to be a positive addition. I did, too!

Thanks so much for your thoughts and comments, David! Greatly appreciated!

- Glenn
Old 07-26-2021, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdjjr View Post
Dadgum! I've never heard that song, but it's a good thing it's already been released by "name" celebrity- y'all knocked it out of the park and the original would have a hard time being as good. It's hard to beat a good ballad for showing off skills and y'all did it in spades!
Hi GDJ!

How nice of you to take time to watch this and provide such generous comments! I appreciate the enthusiastic feedback!

It's interesting that you didn't know this song. If I knew it, I had forgotten about it. However, I was reminded of this song by AGF member RP who a few months ago suggested in one of the threads here that this was a great song to do on a 12-string. So, I went and looked the song up on YouTube and thought, I don't care all that much for the rock version, but I really like their acoustic version. So, that started me on this quest to do the song with my son, who I knew had the tenor voice to hit all those high notes with ease.

Thanks so much for your kind words GDJ! I hope all is well for you!

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell