The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-18-2021, 10:30 PM

Default Open Tunings

I imagine this would be some sort of blasphemy here (I hope not! ) but I was wondering if anyone could point me to materials - if any exist at all - that would help me learn classical guitar pieces that have been arranged in open tunings?

Thanks so much. Cheers.
Old 07-18-2021, 11:13 PM

See this thread

https://www.classicalguitardelcamp.c...b07840#p322669
Old 07-19-2021, 09:23 AM

Much appreciated, thanks so very much.
Old 07-19-2021, 12:19 PM
J Barry

Stephen Wake has a CD on Bandcamp (where he also sells the notation) of Scottish Lochs that he plays on nylon and I think all of the tunes are in Orkney tuning (CGDGCD)

https://stephenwake.bandcamp.com/alb...ab-pdf-booklet

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-19-2021, 01:55 PM

Not blasphemy at all, known as scordatura in the classical world and common for stringed instruments. Dropped D is common (Barrios, Llobet...), and of course the third string tuned tuned to F# for lute pieces.

Both books by Bridget Mermikides have classical arrangements in open tunings, if I remember rightly.

Andrew York's suite: 'Equations of Beauty' is also in a range of open tunings.

A lot of Gary Ryan stuff also, 'Out of Clonmel' springs to mind.

David Russell arranged a lot of Celtic pieces in open tunings for classical guitar.

Reading one or two strings tuned differently is pretty straightforward to read in standard notation, but three or four, most refer to TAB.

Hope that helps.

Jonny

Last edited by jonnymosco; 07-20-2021 at 02:31 AM.
Old 07-19-2021, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingingSparrow View Post
I imagine this would be some sort of blasphemy here (I hope not! ) but I was wondering if anyone could point me to materials - if any exist at all - that would help me learn classical guitar pieces that have been arranged in open tunings?

Thanks so much. Cheers.
You are speaking my language!

I just found this a few weeks ago.

https://www.amazon.com/Classical-Gui...JS3J/ref=nodl_

A variety of pieces. Some would sound better capoed up a bit.

I am starting to transcribe pieces from Fernando Sor’s Opus 60 for open D.

If you like I can share them when I get each one ready.

In addition to open D I use D minor and Dmaj7 ( D Wahine ) tunings.

Enjoy the adventure!

Ps I can share some chord sheets too.

Last edited by engravertom; 07-19-2021 at 08:55 PM.
Old 07-20-2021, 01:35 PM

Wow, you are all great! Thanks, very helpful! I am deep in the middle of work but will follow up on each of these leads soon! Much appreciated!!

Tom, that's very generous of you, thank you; I would love to have access to any transcriptions (and yes, chord sheets) that you are willing to make available. I will send you a PM. I have one of Brent's books (blues in open D) and am enjoying the little I have gone through. I will purchase his classical pieces book now!
Old 07-21-2021, 08:32 AM

As others have mentioned, single-string retunings are pretty common, like drop D and 3=f#. If I had to guess, the third most common retuning for classical pieces might be 6=d, 5=G (almost open G). In the 19th century, Zani de Ferranti was writing for guitar in open E. Aside from composers/pieces already mentioned here, Domeniconi's "Koyunbaba" is a well-known concert work written in open C# minor.

If you really want to go all-in, you should look at the 7-string Russian classical guitar, which is tuned in open G (DGBDGBD). Of course, you really need a 7-string to make it work with pieces written for this instrument, but there is a lot of quality repertoire.
Old 07-21-2021, 11:47 AM

I use a Drop-D and lute tunings on a few pieces but is that considered to be an 'open tuning.' I think open tuned means that the open strings make a chord. Of course I guess any combination of 3 or more notes is a chord, just a really weird one in the case of the open notes of standard tuning or Drop-D and F#.
Old 07-22-2021, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I use a Drop-D and lute tunings on a few pieces but is that considered to be an 'open tuning.' I think open tuned means that the open strings make a chord. Of course I guess any combination of 3 or more notes is a chord, just a really weird one in the case of the open notes of standard tuning or Drop-D and F#.
Yes, that is correct. I would not consider drop D an open tuning, but a fun tuning nonetheless!

I appreciate all the feedback here so far. Thanks so very much.

smwink - very interesting stuff with the 7 string Russian classical pieces- a whole new world to explore! Much appreciated!!
Old 08-07-2021, 12:43 PM

I spent many years when young studying and playing classical piano, and recently playing an acoustic then switching to classical.

My tuning on my Greg Byers spruce is.....A E A db E A with gut strings, no nails.

Consider it D A D f# a d, but five half steps lower.

I like it.....
Old 08-07-2021, 08:10 PM

Hawaiian slack key is all about various open tunings. It's also some of the most beautiful music in the world.

Check out Keola Beamer, Moses Kahumoku and Dennis Kamakahi.
Old 08-08-2021, 02:21 AM

I bought the book by Brent Robitaille recommended in this thread - really well laid out and good arrangements from easy to intermediate.

It does highlight one issue with open tunings though... the beauty of playing in an open tuning is that open strings ring sympathetically and the plucked open strings ring on, this means, for the purist, that clarity is lost, particularly in the Baroque pieces where the separate lines shouldn't be muddied (you would have to do a lot of string dampening to avoid this, defeating the point of playing in an open tuning).

I would recommend this book though, as lots of the arrangements give new life to familiar works.

Jonny

Last edited by jonnymosco; 08-09-2021 at 02:59 AM.
Old 08-15-2021, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
Hawaiian slack key is all about various open tunings. It's also some of the most beautiful music in the world.

Check out Keola Beamer, Moses Kahumoku and Dennis Kamakahi.
Thanks for the recommendation. I do love slack key, and am learning some pieces from a book by Ozzie Kotani.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnymosco View Post
I bought the book by Brent Robitaille recommended in this thread - really well laid out and good arrangements from easy to intermediate.

It does highlight one issue with open tunings though... the beauty of playing in an open tuning is that open strings ring sympathetically and the plucked open strings ring on, this means, for the purist, that clarity is lost, particularly in the Baroque pieces where the separate lines shouldn't be muddied (you would have to do a lot of string dampening to avoid this, defeating the point of playing in an open tuning).

I would recommend this book though, as lots of the arrangements give new life to familiar works.

Jonny
Thanks. I did buy that book just a few days ago. I look forward to learning from it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical