The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 06-26-2021, 08:23 PM
Charter Member

Default Godin Multiac nylon, thoughts?

I posted this to the electric guitar sub, but haven't had many responses.

I am looking for a nylon string electric to use on some of my recordings. Right now, the Multiac seems like a good choice, though there are other options. Have any of you owned or played one? What are you general thoughts? Also, would you recommend the grand concert chambered body version or the slim version which I think is solid?

I think the slim would be easier to play since I'm not used to the wide nut of a nylon string classical, but I think I could adapt. From YouTube videos, it seems like the grand concert SA might be a little more natural sounding? Since I don't gig, feedback isn't likely an issue.

So, thoughts on these guitars? I would be mostly playing direct input into a DAW but occasionally through an amp. Looking for Latin sounds, often with lots of reverb.

Lastly, anyone know if the more recent Multiacs have upgraded components/pickups over one that's a few years old?
Old 06-26-2021, 08:45 PM
Guest 928

I owned the slim, purchased from a professional musician who played Las Vegas. The guitar is a professional tool, plays easy and sounds marvelous. My only problem was that even though it was slim I thought it was heavy.
Old 06-26-2021, 11:15 PM

I bought a Godin Multiac Series-ACS Black Slim Guitar a couple of years ago from Amazon. I like it ok. The playability is very good. The sound you get from it will depend largely on your preamp/effects processor; I plug mine into a Zoom AC-3. The guitar is heavy. I kind of wish I hadn't gotten the Slim though, the big nylon strings are just a little too close together. I play finger style with a thumb pick. If I played with a flat pick, the Slim would probably be ok. For the most part, I don't regret my purchase.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I paid about $100 less that what the price is listed at now.
Taylor GA3
Old 06-27-2021, 02:21 AM

I haven't owned a multiac, but I've done a lot of research about them. I believe the most natural sounding option would be the Duet Ambiance models. They have a traditional saddle (one piece), which will allow energy transfer from string to string to be more natural, so you'll get that...oh I don't know what you call it, but that natural resonance? The Duet Ambiance also has some internal modeling electronics, and it outputs a more realistic tone than a straight piezo would.

The SA models have individual saddles for each string, so you won't get that same energy transfer from string to string. Also, it doesn't have internal modeling, so you'll get a more piezo sound straight out of the box. But it does have a midi output, so if that's what you're looking for, go for it!

There's the Deluxe which came out not that long ago too. It's somewhat similar to the SA models, in that it has individual saddles for each string. However in lieu of having a midi output, it has an internal mic that you can blend with the piezos. The microphone will pick up taps and slaps and whatnot, so if that's meaningful to you, I think it's the only Godin Multiac option that will do that for you.

I hope you find something that suits your needs!
Old 06-27-2021, 07:08 AM
Guest 928

You might want to also look into a Turner or a Kirt Sand.
Old 06-27-2021, 07:25 AM

I owned one briefly. Just couldn't get accustomed to the longer scale and I wasn't happy with the unplugged sound.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 06-27-2021, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the replies. Honestly, this would only be used plugged in. I am thinking if going with the SA Slim at this point since I almost always use a flat pick.
Old 06-27-2021, 10:42 PM

I own the Multiac Nylon String SA - the one with the spruce top, chambered body and hex saddles. I own more expensive guitars but it may be my favorite and I've written a lot of songs on it.

I often use a Fishman Aura for recordings. But, unlike most piezo guitars it just sounds great plugged straight into a PA or acoustic amp. I really think it would be good fit for you. Also, I tried a "slim" solid body model and didn't like it.

Here is a link to a cover song from my YouTube music channel so you can hear it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYxeEiRXtn0

Last edited by dropt; 06-28-2021 at 03:03 PM.
Old 06-28-2021, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the replies. I'm now wondering if the slim is the best option.
Old 06-28-2021, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
Thanks for the replies. I'm now wondering if the slim is the best option.
I would choose the SA definitely. I owned a Multiac Jazz for a while, Godin make great guitars for reasonable money.
Old 07-08-2021, 11:31 PM
Charter Member

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I ended up purchasing the SA nylon and it arrived today. It's a fabulous guitar and I'm glad I decided not to go with the narrow nut width. I'm still playing around with settings, but so far I'm really happy!
Old 07-09-2021, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
Thanks to everyone for your replies. I ended up purchasing the SA nylon and it arrived today. It's a fabulous guitar and I'm glad I decided not to go with the narrow nut width. I'm still playing around with settings, but so far I'm really happy!
Congratulations! I hope my post helped in your decision. They are very inspiring instruments. I have more expensive guitars but my Multiac will probably be the one I'll be playing until my final days.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical