The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-26-2016, 11:05 AM

Default Help me pick cheap backup guitar

First off I'm money-challenged so I'm looking for something $200 to $300 tops. Used is OK.

I've been wanting to get back into the acoustic world. First off I'm money-challenged so I'm looking for something $200 to $300 tops.

I own an Alvarez AD710 (solid spruce top, rosewood laminated back and sides) and a cheap Esteban acoustic-electric dred. The Alvarez sounds good but has a top surface crack.

Alvarez is having some good sales. What guitar would you folks recommend among the three? I am looking also for a different sound if possible.

1. AD 60 (solid spruce with laminated mahogany back and sides)
2. AD 66 (solid mahogany with laminated mahogany b/s)
3. AJ 80 jumbo (solid spruce with maple b/s)

I'm familiar with the dread design of the AD 60 and AD 66. I've only had one mahogany-topped guitar before, an old Guild D-25, all solid and it was TERRIBLE, all bass and no treble and no volume. However, I understand it could have been a dud.

The jumbo I am not very familiar with. The AJ 80 is more of a "mini-jumbo" with the widest part being about 16.14 inches or so.

I think the AD 60 would be a good choice but it would be very similar to my AD 710 except for the wood on the back and sides. Maybe too similar?

I've played one jumbo with maple sides years and years ago and I didn't like it because it sounded too brittle, or just had too much treble. But I don't remember the brand or anything else about the guitar.

I know some will recommend other brands in this price range but I really like Alvarez. I've owned three Yamahas, one Seagull and still haven't found an Epiphone I like all that much.

So any help would be appreciated, folks.
Old 03-26-2016, 11:23 AM

Hi Ralph, you mentioned you used to own a Seagull. Any reason why you're not considering one now? Simon & Patrick, Seagull's sibling (both are produced by Godin in Quebec) is also a great option at that price.
Old 03-26-2016, 11:34 AM

In your price range you need to give Yamaha a good look.
They are hard to beat.
Old 03-26-2016, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Hi Ralph, you mentioned you used to own a Seagull. Any reason why you're not considering one now? Simon & Patrick, Seagull's sibling (both are produced by Godin in Quebec) is also a great option at that price.
I liked the guitar but it was the original S6 and that 1.8-inch wide nut was too wide for me. I play mainly electric guitars. Even the 1.75-inch on my Alvarez is a little too wide for me but it's acceptable.

I can't find any Seagulls in my price range. I haven't looked all that hard at the other members of the Godin family, S&P, Art and Lutherie, Norman, etc. Also to be honest I prefer spruce to cedar. Cedar, I think, is great for fingerstyle (which I don't play) and for singers/players (which I am not.)
Old 03-26-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandpaD View Post
In your price range you need to give Yamaha a good look.
They are hard to beat.
In my post I said I've owned three Yamahas. To me, they are OK ... but nothing special. I've tested the ones in my price range against my Alvarez and I much prefer the Alvarez.
Old 03-26-2016, 01:12 PM

Ralph - not trying to be a downer but if you want a different sound in a guitar with laminate b&S's you will need to go to a different size like the jumbo you listed or something with solid B&S.

Different laminates don't change the tone very much but the different size and shape will. Personally, I would discourage you from buying a solid top/lam B&S Alvarez right now. Why, you ask? because - MF has had sales on ALL SOLID Alvarez's lately in the $350 range. Spend the extra $50, wait a while and see if you can get in on one of these sales. If you are going to move up -REALLY move up. Just my .02

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 03-26-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
Ralph - not trying to be a downer but if you want a different sound in a guitar with laminate b&S's you will need to go to a different size like the jumbo you listed or something with solid B&S.

Different laminates don't change the tone very much but the different size and shape will. Personally, I would discourage you from buying a solid top/lam B&S Alvarez right now. Why, you ask? because - MF has had sales on ALL SOLID Alvarez's lately in the $350 range. Spend the extra $50, wait a while and see if you can get in on one of these sales. If you are going to move up -REALLY move up. Just my .02
I have not seen any Alvarez all-solid at MF or GC at those prices and I've been looking. If they did, I missed them.

I should say I have had solid back and sides in guitars before, notably a Guild D-25 and even the Guild D-55, one of their top models. The Guild D-25 was HORRIBLE and the D-55 had a nice sound but was built like a tank and had little volume; I had the bracing reshaved, had a Martin transducer pickup removed, new saddle bone nut installed, etc., all to no avail.

Besides as I said in my first sentence I don't have the money.

I do thank you for the suggestion about the jumbo because that would provide me a different sound. So too would the mahogany-model but I think I'd prefer the jumbo more.
Old 03-26-2016, 02:18 PM

Default Guitar choices

You're definitely talking used to start with. You might want to look at Washburn as well.
Old 03-26-2016, 02:32 PM

Used Seagulls sell for $200-250 all day on Craigslist in my area. I picked one up last year for $180 with a hard case.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 03-26-2016, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC Bernie View Post
You're definitely talking used to start with. You might want to look at Washburn as well.

All of those three Alvarez models I mentioned I can get today new for under $200. (Plus $16 or so in state taxes, free shipping) I was asking you folks for your advice on which one of the three would be best possibly for me.

Yes, Washburn would be an option. I drove an hour last week to look at a used one at a Guitar Center. Sold.
Old 03-26-2016, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph124C41 View Post
I have not seen any Alvarez all-solid at MF or GC at those prices and I've been looking. If they did, I missed them.

I should say I have had solid back and sides in guitars before, notably a Guild D-25 and even the Guild D-55, one of their top models. The Guild D-25 was HORRIBLE and the D-55 had a nice sound but was built like a tank and had little volume; I had the bracing reshaved, had a Martin transducer pickup removed, new saddle bone nut installed, etc., all to no avail.

Besides as I said in my first sentence I don't have the money.

I do thank you for the suggestion about the jumbo because that would provide me a different sound. So too would the mahogany-model but I think I'd prefer the jumbo more.
Yeah - 4 weeks ago they had the MD60 for $359 - a bunch of AFG members bought them. I had no interest since I don't play dreads. As an owner of an Alvarez Masterworks I have to say, they are stellar and much better than the Artist series (which are pretty darn good for the price too).

It seems as if Alvarez has been discontinuing some models and they get "blown out" at very low prices.

I have played the AJ80 and it was a powerful guitar with great tone. I doubt you could go wrong with one - especially if you are comfortable w/large guitars.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 03-26-2016, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
Yeah - 4 weeks ago they had the MD60 for $359 - a bunch of AFG members bought them. ...

It seems as if Alvarez has been discontinuing some models and they get "blown out" at very low prices.

I have played the AJ80 and it was a powerful guitar with great tone. I doubt you could go wrong with one - especially if you are comfortable w/large guitars.
Wow. I wished I had known about the MD sale. GC does have the MDCE on sale for $450 .. but I don't need the pickup or cutaway .. and I have to pay another $35 or so in tax.

I am leaning towards the AJ80. I can get an open box level one (near mint) AD60 for $190 (with tax) or a second-level open box AD60CE for about $200 total, but as others have said I wonder if there is much of a sound difference from my AD710...

Yes, Alvarez is discontinuing some models. The AJ60 (Englemann spruce top) is gone. The AD90 and that AJ80 are both conspicuously absent from Alvarez's website, so that makes me think retailers are selling off their existing stock. The AJ80CE remains on the website.

The MD60 is also A.W.O.L. from the Alvarez website.
Old 03-26-2016, 04:26 PM

Fix the crack in your Alvarez. You said it sounds good right?
Old 03-26-2016, 04:30 PM

Seagull and Yamaha, and Epiphone are all good choices at that price point. Try to play one or two of each and see which one you favor before buying.
Old 03-26-2016, 06:00 PM

The AJ80 (non CE) is being discontinued by the look of it - thus the sale price: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Alvarez/...umbo-Guitar.gc

I think it's steal for $200.
Martin OMC-18E
Taylor 512ce 12-fret

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion