The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-16-2020, 09:03 PM
Charter Member

Default Another silly BoneDigger question: performance stands?

I have seen a number of Youtube performances or guitar tests where the guitar is placed in a performance stand and played that way. What is the benefit of this?

https://youtu.be/BWDA-04M9xc
Old 07-17-2020, 06:29 AM

One way to use it would be to put an acoustic guitar on the stand, with your electric guitar still on your shoulder step up and play the acoustic parts as needed, step back and you're back on your electric. Good for performing, not much use for just kicking around practicing.

One guy that used this a lot was Alex Lifeson from RUSH before the technology for acoustic simulators and also piezo bridge pickup systems for electrics, got good enough to allow guys like him to just use a foot switch to kick on the simulators or use the piezo pickup instead of an actual acoustic.
(fishman makes such a pickup/bridge combo)

Not something guys like us would really find useful, and depending on the environment, that could be a recipe for disaster for us mere mortals.

I'd hate to live thru that moment when something makes that stand, loaded with a nice guitar strapped to it, head to the floor... Oy.... No thanks!
Old 07-17-2020, 09:37 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-17-2020, 10:33 AM

And listen to the different tone each one gets with no settings being changed.

Old 07-17-2020, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
I have seen a number of Youtube performances or guitar tests where the guitar is placed in a performance stand and played that way. What is the benefit of this?

https://youtu.be/BWDA-04M9xc
I used the Mbrace for 3-4 years just as RMP described. It worked great, and is a fraction of cost of the ones many people will tell you you need because the Mbrace "isn't sturdy enough." Bull. On a regular mic stand it has as much (or as little) abiity to withstand dancers and drunks as the ones costing $350+. For performing, walk right up to it and rest a foot on one of the mic stand legs; completely bombproof, not at all uncomfortable for a song or two.
Old 07-17-2020, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
One way to use it would be to put an acoustic guitar on the stand, with your electric guitar still on your shoulder step up and play the acoustic parts as needed, step back and you're back on your electric. Good for performing, not much use for just kicking around practicing.

One guy that used this a lot was Alex Lifeson from RUSH before the technology for acoustic simulators and also piezo bridge pickup systems for electrics, got good enough to allow guys like him to just use a foot switch to kick on the simulators or use the piezo pickup instead of an actual acoustic.
(fishman makes such a pickup/bridge combo)

Not something guys like us would really find useful, and depending on the environment, that could be a recipe for disaster for us mere mortals.

I'd hate to live thru that moment when something makes that stand, loaded with a nice guitar strapped to it, head to the floor... Oy.... No thanks!
+1. Iron Maiden and Metallica have used this for acoustic intros. I'm sure there are lots of other bands that use it for the same reason.
Old 07-17-2020, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
I used the Mbrace for 3-4 years just as RMP described. It worked great, and is a fraction of cost of the ones many people will tell you you need because the Mbrace "isn't sturdy enough." Bull. On a regular mic stand it has as much (or as little) abiity to withstand dancers and drunks as the ones costing $350+. For performing, walk right up to it and rest a foot on one of the mic stand legs; completely bombproof, not at all uncomfortable for a song or two.
In fact, here I am (good side to the camera) using it at a bar gig. When I did a whole song or a really long passage on the acoustic, I'd drop the electric like this, which made things a bit more comfortable. Eventually, I mostly stopped even doing this and just left the electric in the normal position. Both ways worked great.

Old 07-18-2020, 09:05 AM

Steve Howe was a regular user for Yes concerts.....
Old 07-18-2020, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for enlightening me! On an electric would it effect the tone at all? I was mentioning I saw some"tone tests" with them using one of these.
Old 07-18-2020, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Thanks for enlightening me! On an electric would it effect the tone at all? I was mentioning I saw some"tone tests" with them using one of these.
No. No. No. No. No.

Last edited by Kerbie; 01-30-2021 at 03:20 PM.
Old 07-20-2020, 05:12 PM

Quote:
I cannot imagine how it would.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars