The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-09-2023, 05:52 PM

Default Martin Luxe Kovar Strings

I just put on my 2nd set of the Luxe Kovar strings. As I mentioned in an earlier thread, my first and almost overwhelming impression was that these strings are really different. With the 2nd set on, I'm gonna stick with that initial impression. They are indeed very different, but it's tough to describe "different" appropriately. I felt the mid and high-end were really forward with the first set. I'm going to amend. Everything is really forward. They're just plain loud, and in a good way. They are even across the board. They ring for an uncannily long time. Maybe I'd say compressed but somehow really loud. They have a tension I like, similar to the Martin MA 140/150's. They are chimey and sound more akin to 80/20s than PB, but I will say I like the hi-end better than either. The only thing I don't know for sure is the longevity. If they can't hold up to an Elixir or D'Addario XS regarding life span, I couldn't justify the cost of entry. However, I can say I like the Luxe Kovar's tone better than the Elixir's or XS. I'll see how much life I can coax out of these things and report.
Old 10-09-2023, 06:57 PM
Charter Member

Martin's description of these sound very interesting.
I am a sucker for good marketing.

From the website:

"ULTRA COMFORTABLE TO PLAY | Kovar strings are easier to fret due to their lower tension, which allows you to play longer and faster and with more precision.
THEY LAST | Kovar strings are naturally corrosion resistant due to the composition of the metal which doesn’t react to the oils in your skin like other string materials. You can play them longer and still sound amazing without any coatings or treatments.

UNIQUE TONE | Kovar strings offer a unique tone that is brighter than Monel and warmer than Phosphor Bronze. If you’re looking for a unique tone that will set your music apart from the crowd, give Kovar a try.

SUPER RESPONSIVE & FREQUENCY-BALANCED | Kovar strings accentuate the natural tone of any instrument, and pairs exceptionally well with guitars featuring magnetic pickups. "

"Kovar strings deliver Superior Performance core with the unique benefits of Kovar wrap wire, a nickel-cobalt alloy. Featuring natural corrosion resistance, clear and balanced tone, and voicing for enhanced attack and response."
Old 10-09-2023, 07:01 PM
Charter Member

Sigh… has anyone tried these against Santa Cruz strings? Care to compare? I’m now interested and also a sucker for good marketing. The Santa Cruz parabolic stuff replaced all other strings for me, but maybe I should give these a try.
Fender Mocha Burst Ultra Strat
Fender CS '61 Strat NOS
Old 10-09-2023, 07:22 PM

I love these
Old 10-09-2023, 07:25 PM

Anybody tried these on an Emerald?
Old 10-09-2023, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticDreams View Post
Martin's description of these sound very interesting.
I am a sucker for good marketing.

From the website:

"...UNIQUE TONE | Kovar strings offer a unique tone that is brighter than Monel and warmer than Phosphor Bronze. If you’re looking for a unique tone that will set your music apart from the crowd, give Kovar a try.

SUPER RESPONSIVE & FREQUENCY-BALANCED | Kovar strings accentuate the natural tone of any instrument, and pairs exceptionally well with guitars featuring magnetic pickups."
How can a set of strings be both brighter and warmer, yet accentuate the natural tone of any musical instrument?
Old 10-09-2023, 08:18 PM

I'm a fan.
Old 10-09-2023, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
How can a set of strings be both brighter and warmer, yet accentuate the natural tone of any musical instrument?
With ease. The description says "brighter" than Monels, which (at least for me) they undoubtedly are, as Monels often sound a tad muted. Then "warmer" than Phosphor Bronze, which for me they undoubtedly are as Phosphor Bronze often have an unnatural high-end sizzle I really don't like. I don't see an eye-roller here?
Old 10-09-2023, 09:53 PM
Charter Member

Martin is offering your money back if you don't like them!

Try a set of Luxe by Martin Kovar Strings today! We’re so confident you’ll love these strings we’ll give you your money back if you’re not completely happy with your purchase.

https://www.martinguitar.com/kovar-strings.html
Old 10-10-2023, 01:00 AM

I'll be claiming that offer then! Absolutely loathe them... Nasty brash tone, horrible feel. Ruined the sound of my OM21.

Huss and Dalton 00-SP
Martin OM21
Martin 000-17SM
Sigma SDM-18S
Naylor 'Spered Evel' custom made
Old 10-10-2023, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMunkee View Post
I'll be claiming that offer then! Absolutely loathe them... Nasty brash tone, horrible feel. Ruined the sound of my OM21.
As I mentioned in the first thread, these are strings people will undoubtedly either love or adamantly dislike. They are indeed very different and a complete departure from the norm. They do not represent what we've come to identify as the comfort zone strings. If you're looking for PB or 80/20s, these aren't it.
Old 10-10-2023, 02:04 PM

It's interesting though, as from the description I should like them - I find Monel slightly too muted, so brighter than that would be good. I like a lovely warm tone, so warmer than PB should be perfect...

That's not my experience of them though - to me they sound VERY metallic, there's no woody acoustic warmth, just the sound of a very different set of strings, almost as though they've detached their sound from that of the guitar entirely.

Oh well, to each their own, just my opinion, doesn't mean I'm right, but I am disappointed!

Huss and Dalton 00-SP
Martin OM21
Martin 000-17SM
Sigma SDM-18S
Old 10-10-2023, 02:07 PM

Also, I've just looked up their 'refund guarantee'

"Returns must include a copy of the original receipt, all original packaging, and all contents of packaging including Kovar strings."

Yeah, because we all keep the packet once we've finished stringing our guitar... Not only that, but it's US only and screw the rest of us. Hmmmmm...

Huss and Dalton 00-SP
Martin OM21
Martin 000-17SM
Sigma SDM-18S
Old 10-10-2023, 03:27 PM

the fine print on their website says "under license from Ernie Ball". Does Ernie Ball make them, or are they using the formula and having them made somewhere else?
Old 10-10-2023, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

Smile Marketing

I once got dragged in by similar marketing for aluminum bronze Strings, by Ernie Ball, I think, maybe?

According to them, they were the best things ever. However, they sounded like poo on my Guitar, and they turned my fingertips black as well.

And yet a bunch of folks loved them….

Such is marketing!

Haha

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion