The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-18-2014, 07:49 AM

Default Neophyte looper hiccup

Picked up a Ditto X2 recently, in part just to toy with, and (so far as the wife knows) as a practice aid for exercising steady tempo and building arrangements. With no looping experience (other than having attended concerts of Howie Day and Kaki King), I didn't really know what to expect.

What I absolutely didn't expect, though, and what's completely screwing me up, is the delay of about a full second between loop cycles. Is this just for the Ditto, or pretty standard with digital loopers? Never noticed it in any online demos, so may I just need (a lot) more practice, but it's driving my (I'd like to think fairly competent) sense of timing berzerk!

https://soundcloud.com/mcshepherd

Axe (acoustic): 2013 Gibson J-45 Standard (w/hardware mods)
Pickup: BGM Elevation SBT
Preamp/DI: Archangel x7 (generation 7)
Tube Amp: Peavey Delta Blues 115
Old 10-21-2014, 11:56 AM

My Boss looper has an autostart feature which really does help. As soon as I start playing the recording begins. When I get to the end I actually play the original opening note of the phrase I began with, and then press the pedal to play back the loop. Works every time.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:28 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What pf400 said.

It takes a little practice to get the seamless transition, but you will get there!

Some loopers do have an autostart feature.... However, some users like a little more control.
2007 GA8e Taylor
2005 ESM-10e Fender Ensenada
2005 850t Carvin Cobalt
Lots and Lots and Lots of Solid body Electrics
Old 10-21-2014, 10:06 PM

I doubt there's any actual delay coming from the unit. It's a matter of practicing to get real crisp with hitting the switch. In my experience, the lack of precision in my looping has always been human error. You'll get it down!

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 10-21-2014, 11:12 PM

How do you have this set up? If running through an effect loop that may account for the delay. Either that or something is set wrong, when in doubt read the instructions.

Kris
Old 10-22-2014, 10:18 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis View Post
I doubt there's any actual delay coming from the unit. It's a matter of practicing to get real crisp with hitting the switch. In my experience, the lack of precision in my looping has always been human error. You'll get it down!
Sounds like the culprit! That darn human element may be the least satisfactory pedal on my board.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisls View Post
How do you have this set up? If running through an effect loop that may account for the delay. Either that or something is set wrong, when in doubt read the instructions.

Kris
Pretty sure Sean nailed it - the delayed start has been consistent, even with just the looper in my chain. I'm about as "by-the-book" as they come, so I went through the Ditto's guide a couple times before even asking on here.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:00 PM

Oh, okay. After I posted I thought maybe that ..When in doubt.. comment might come across a little condescending, weren't meant that way. I'm a newbie with loopers meself. Bought a Ditto 2 a few months back and found it very easy to work. Use it live regularly now, almost couldn't be without it.

I guess I use it a little differently though as I can't really imagine a delay like you mention but I guess a 'slow' foot could do it. If that's what we're talking about. It is a bit like the old pat the head while rubbing the belly while standing on one foot thing.

Kris
Old 10-23-2014, 05:06 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisls View Post
I can't really imagine a delay like you mention but I guess a 'slow' foot could do it.
Yup, had it out this afternoon and (surprise, surprise, surprise) playing as soon as I hit the footswitch got rid of that pesky delay. It fixed itself! This modren technology is amazing like that.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification