The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-13-2013, 10:49 PM

Default I need an Acoustic Pickup!

I have 2010 Martin DSR-GC Custom (the guitar center special edition) and have been looking into putting a pickup system in it. I am still nervous about whether or not to put in a permanent pick up or get one that is none invasive. My budget is between $100-$150 and just want to get some opinions on pickups that people have been using, I am looking for something really nature sounding because I love the sound my martin the way it is, however I hesitate to just mic it or get a microphone pickup because of the feedback issues and when I record I like to play along with the other guitarist. Any opinions of pickups to buy or pickups to avoid would really help.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:52 PM
Charter Member

I highly recommend the JJB Prestige 330 pickup. It sounds like it will give you just what you're looking for. I have one in my Taylor DN3 and love it. It is also VERY reasonably priced. Check it out!

http://www.jjb-electronics.com
Old 01-14-2013, 12:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRoatche View Post
I have 2010 Martin DSR-GC Custom (the guitar center special edition) and have been looking into putting a pickup system in it. I am still nervous about whether or not to put in a permanent pick up or get one that is none invasive. My budget is between $100-$150 and just want to get some opinions on pickups that people have been using, I am looking for something really nature sounding because I love the sound my martin the way it is, however I hesitate to just mic it or get a microphone pickup because of the feedback issues and when I record I like to play along with the other guitarist. Any opinions of pickups to buy or pickups to avoid would really help.
Hi JRoatche...

First of all, Hello and Welcome to the Forum! I realize you joined last year, but this is your first post.

For recording, you probably should have a decent condenser mic.

But for PA or amp work (live play) with that quality of guitar, I recommend the K&K Pure Western Mini which is normally $125-150 installed.

I'd have it installed with the thought that down the line you might want to add an internal mic and external blender/preamp to have both a pickup and internal microphone on separate channels of an amp or external preamp. Those really are natural sounding systems.

I have K&K Dual source rigs in all four of my acoustic guitars, and it's a very natural sounding system.

I don't find it feedback prone, even in moderately aggressive stage situations.

Hope you find the pickup that satisfies you and your needs.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-14-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRoatche View Post
I have 2010 Martin DSR-GC Custom (the guitar center special edition) and have been looking into putting a pickup system in it. I am still nervous about whether or not to put in a permanent pick up or get one that is none invasive. My budget is between $100-$150
Get a used Baggs M1A on Ebay for about $120. If you like it, then you can mount the jack permanently. If you don't like it, you can probably resell it at the same price and your only cost will have been the shipping.

Then you can try a soundboard transducer (SBT) like the JJB or K&K. These will require the endpin to be drilled out to a 1/2" dia hole and are more permanent. They also sound much better with a preamp so now you have probably exceeded your $150 budget. The Schatten HFN active is another SBT option that has a built-in preamp and is also easier to remove if you decide you don't like the sound.

Good luck.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:35 PM

For recording - use a mic.

For live play when a mic isn't the best option situationally - use a K&K.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:47 PM

Thanks for the help, I'm going to look into both the JJB and the K&K mini. I have some handy man skills and was wondering if you think that these are fairly easy to install by myself. Also another question I was wondering about was I see the dual setup with the k&k mini with the mic, where can you find the mic part separately if i decided to purchase it at a later time?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
martin acoustic guitar, pickups