The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 03-09-2018, 03:17 PM
Long Jon Long Jon is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: London UK
Posts: 9,012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Earl will be burnt at the stake at sunrise !
No chance, Earl ain’t out o’ bed much before noon !

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Wanna turn that full gloss Shorty NS neck to a satin finish without breaking the bank? See below.....
[IMG][/IMG]
You say it’s an economical method, but what you gonna do with the other 5 pads they force you to buy ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Scotchbrite can also make a stainless steel sink look brand again new too.
OK, Earl’s got the answer !
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 03-10-2018, 04:59 AM
Fixedgear60 Fixedgear60 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 213
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Hey MiG50. You have good taste in guitars....and....necks.

Well since you are already a fellow Shorty owner, there is a work around to your situation. Like you, I prefer a satin neck and I'm not worried about modifications to my guitar- this Shorty isn't going anywhere. Wanna turn that full gloss Shorty NS neck to a satin finish without breaking the bank? See below.....

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
This looks great.... do you tape off the areas you do not want to ruff up? Also is the trick to the the direction you rub? Did you go north/south or east/west? Did you tape off the areas of the frett markers? Just curious as you did a great job.

Thanks!!!

Chris
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 03-10-2018, 08:12 AM
steelvibe steelvibe is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: A mile over sea level, CO
Posts: 2,308
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixedgear60 View Post
This looks great.... do you tape off the areas you do not want to ruff up? Also is the trick to the the direction you rub? Did you go north/south or east/west? Did you tape off the areas of the frett markers? Just curious as you did a great job.

Thanks!!!

Chris
Thanks Chris! Gotta love the forum as I learned the tip here. Yep, you mask off if you want a sharp line- I used blue painter’s tape. On the heel end I used progressively less pressure to “feather” into the gloss finish for a more transitional effect. I initially went with the length of the neck and then crossways- it doesn’t take much effort at all. However, if you do it be careful! I unintentionally grazed the top with the pad and had to buff out some minor scratches. I then finished with 0000 steel wool (which I’ve used for some time on wood necks). Very happy with the results.
__________________
Sean

-I would rather one book that leads to truth and life than tens of thousands that bring mere confusion-

____________________________________________
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 03-10-2018, 09:35 PM
mot mot is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Northern Hemisphere
Posts: 720
Default

Back to the topic at hand. I have a Lucky 13 and an X20. Both are very different animals. If I had to have a third I'd either go 12 string (think X20 again) or travel guitar. I use both of the ones I have for traveling right now, but I think I might like something that is smaller without sacrificing scale length too much.

If I were in your shoes, I would be looking at something like what I already have, so I can only offer the same comments on the X20 that you have gotten from others.
__________________
Cheers,
Tom

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 03-11-2018, 08:39 AM
Rmsstrider01 Rmsstrider01 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 117
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
Back to the topic at hand. I have a Lucky 13 and an X20. Both are very different animals. If I had to have a third I'd either go 12 string (think X20 again) or travel guitar. I use both of the ones I have for traveling right now, but I think I might like something that is smaller without sacrificing scale length too much.

If I were in your shoes, I would be looking at something like what I already have, so I can only offer the same comments on the X20 that you have gotten from others.
You know, I hadn't even thought about a 12 string. I have a dread. size and now a travel size and I was thinking more of a middle size like an OM. A 12 string though, that's a good suggestion. Kramster was right.3rd FINAL, CF guitar, ha ,who am I kidding. The CA Legacy, a Rainsong CH-OM, a Rainsong or Emerald 12 string and my Journey OF660. That should round it out, right? Back to 4 guitars. I need a bigger boat.
__________________
1991 Martin D16H
2016 Martin 000-18
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 03-11-2018, 08:56 AM
Earl49 Earl49 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Idaho
Posts: 5,495
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmsstrider01 View Post
Back to 4 guitars. I need a bigger boat.
There's your solution! Just when I thought we were settled on four CF guitars between us, the opportunity arose to buy a used matching green X20. Alice tried an X7 in Phoenix at the Carbonfest, and now one is on the way. So much for downsizing..... I really have to start selling off the wood guitars now - all the closets are full and they never get played. At least the carbon guitars can live out on wall hangers, and their cases can live in the shop, rather than be handy for humidifcation.

Note: At a local jam yesterday I brought both the X20 and X20-12 to join two Rainsongs (WS-1000 and DR-1000). We only had one wood guitar there. I had to pry my X20 out of the hands of one fellow to leave, and now his wife is mad at me. "Not yet another guitar!!"
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 03-11-2018, 05:08 PM
MiG50 MiG50 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 169
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Hey MiG50. You have good taste in guitars....and....necks.

Well since you are already a fellow Shorty owner, there is a work around to your situation. Like you, I prefer a satin neck and I'm not worried about modifications to my guitar- this Shorty isn't going anywhere. Wanna turn that full gloss Shorty NS neck to a satin finish without breaking the bank? See below.....
I've been tempted to try this sort of method, especially based on how much I prefer the satin neck on the CH versus the gloss on the Shorty. Just a little smoother and easier to slide around on. I'll put this idea in my back pocket, just in case I decide to go that route. The old trick was to use fingerless gloves with a piece of fine-grit sandpaper glued in the palm, and then just play the guitar a ton. But the CF might be less appropriate for that method!
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=