The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-28-2020, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalton View Post
I’m pretty sure that because I’m using an AppleTV box, getting at those settings is difficult or (last I read) not possible. Nothing I’ve seen in the Zwift UI that let’s me change it either. Their obnoxious HUD and associated never-ending gamified, faux-competitive interface does bug me. But there is a lot of good with the setup too.
Are you using it in race or group ride mode? I find the workouts to be much quieter. I just focus on my wattage and cadence and crank tunes on my AirPods. I think it’s brilliant for that, I’ve never been able to sit on a trainer for an hour or more at a stretch until Zwift, now I do it a few times a week in the winter when the days are short. Of course we’re lucky here that we can still ride outside all “winter”, so I do get my actual bike time, it’s not all on the trainer. Probably makes a big difference.
Old 12-28-2020, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalton View Post
I’m pretty sure that because I’m using an AppleTV box, getting at those settings is difficult or (last I read) not possible. Nothing I’ve seen in the Zwift UI that let’s me change it either. Their obnoxious HUD and associated never-ending gamified, faux-competitive interface does bug me. But there is a lot of good with the setup too.
I don't think I'll like that part of it either, but I'll try it and see. I think Wahoo offers a free trial of their app that is similar to Zwift, but from everything I've read, Zwift is the biggest and the best. I appreciate the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
I just focus on my wattage and cadence and crank tunes on my AirPods. I think it’s brilliant for that...
That may very well end up how I prefer to use it too, Dirk. Thanks.
Old 12-28-2020, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

Zwift UI redesign concept done by an independent designer, not in the plans for Zwift: https://www.behance.net/gallery/6340...FT-App-Concept

Last edited by Dirk Hofman; 12-28-2020 at 01:18 PM.
Old 01-19-2021, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

Default Just an update...

Thought I'd update this thread. I received a Wahoo Kickr Bike over a month ago... and I haven't even had the opportunity to ride it yet. It looks like a gorgeous, space-age machine. But I had two significant problems... the handlebars wouldn't hold in a raised position and neither would the seat post. Both just slid back down into the frame.

They wanted me to try a silicone solution... that failed. Then they shipped me a new quick release mechanism... that didn't work either. Then they shipped me a binder bolt to to use in lieu of the QR mechanism... that failed.

So, now we're contemplating and discussing a return. The customer service has been superb... they've gone above and beyond to help me. But it looks like I might eventually have to think about a new bike and a smart trainer instead. The Kickr does look like a work of art, but if anybody considers one, be sure to talk with them about whether they have solved the issues with the handlebars and seat post.
Old 11-13-2021, 03:30 PM

Have any of you done any updates? I looked at our beloved old Fat Chance on the ancient noisy trainer and realized my laptop return and buy scenario leaves enough to maybe go modern with trainers.

My new bike is through axle is one thing. Saris comes to mind first because I know their engineers and company owner - all super quality people. So far the gamify/app stuff is not appealing but all I've done in the past was 15-30 minute sessions on the crude old school setup.

The stuff looks expensive and even if much better I don't know if I'd have patience to bike indoors. When I see people on treadmills and stationary bikes it is totally foreign to my decades of marching or biking or skiing or hiking year round.

I have an invitation for a 420 mi spring tour at altitude from childhood friends, and that 142 off road ride (the B.A.L.L.S. ride) will probably return to early April so I'll need spring fitness. An age 17-21 attitude in a sexagenarian's body is getting complicated and expensive.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic