The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-28-2018, 03:23 PM

Default Seymour Duncan SH-5 + Pearly Gates Neck

All or most of my electric guitar career I used Seymour Duncan JB bridge paired with a jazz neck. I love that pickup combo as it's a pretty diverse combo. Last year I installed the Duncan SH-5 paired with the Pearly Gates neck in a Godin Montreal guitar as I thought the JB would've been a little to hot for a semi. The more I play that guitar the more I like that pickup combo. It's also very diverse and they go so well together that they should be sold as a set IMO. I just felt like sharing this info with anyone interested. It's kinda nice when experimentation works out well. I still love the JB/Jazz combo, but I think I prefer the SH-5/Pearly Gates combo more these days.
Old 12-28-2018, 04:52 PM

It sounds like a great set. For those who don't know, the SH-5 is the "Custom". I have the SH-11 "Custom Custom" bridge and the Pearly Gates in my frankenstrat build. I really want to try that in a Les Paul.

I think the only difference between the SH-5 and SH-11 is the magnet; ceramic vs A2.
Old 12-28-2018, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
It sounds like a great set. For those who don't know, the SH-5 is the "Custom". I have the SH-11 "Custom Custom" bridge and the Pearly Gates in my frankenstrat build. I really want to try that in a Les Paul.

I think the only difference between the SH-5 and SH-11 is the magnet; ceramic vs A2.
Yeah and I believe the only difference between the SH-5 and the '59 is also the magent, ceramic vs alnico v. I'm still yet to hear a Duncan pickup that I didn't like.
Old 12-29-2018, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
Yeah and I believe the only difference between the SH-5 and the '59 is also the magent, ceramic vs alnico v. I'm still yet to hear a Duncan pickup that I didn't like.
The '59 is a great pickup. Can handle overdrive really well.
Old 12-29-2018, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
The '59 is a great pickup. Can handle overdrive really well.
Absolutely. There's so many good pickups out there to choose from that you can almost go insane trying to decide.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:38 AM

I have a 1971 Univox Les Paul copy that I had the electronics gutted about 20 years ago.
It has a Duncan Pearly Gates bridge and Duncan Jazz Neck in it now. An absolute killer combination. The Pearly Gates is a medium gain beauty and the Jazz Neck is smooth and clean. I still get a kick out of how good this old beater sounds. Seymour Duncan makes great pick ups that truly stand the test of time.

Last edited by Chickee; 01-05-2019 at 10:48 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-05-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
I have a 1971 Univox Les Paul copy that I had the electronics gutted about 20 years ago.
It has a Duncan Pearly Gates bridge and Duncan Jazz Neck in it now. An absolute killer combination. The Pearly Gates is a medium gain beauty and the Jazz Neck is smooth and clean. I still get a kick out of how good this old beater sounds. Seymour Duncan makes great pick ups that truly stand the test of time.
That's an interesting combo for sure. You're the first person I heard of with that combo. I'm sure it works great though. I'll be trying a Duncan full shred bridge paired with a '59 neck here soon. Not sure how that's going to go but it'll probably be fine. How I ended up with these 2 pickups left over from my projects I'm really not sure.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:24 PM

Quote:
That's an interesting combo for sure. You're the first person I heard of with that combo. I'm sure it works great though. I'll be trying a Duncan full shred bridge paired with a '59 neck here soon. Not sure how that's going to go but it'll probably be fine. How I ended up with these 2 pickups left over from my projects I'm really not sure.
I did a thread on that guitar a while back. Here are some poorly posted pix of that baby. She’s 48 years old now and is still a killer!
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=511913
Old 01-05-2019, 07:53 PM

Quote:
I did a thread on that guitar a while back. Here are some poorly posted pix of that baby. She’s 48 years old now and is still a killer!
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=511913
Just checked it out...very nice indeed!
Old 01-05-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Just checked it out...very nice indeed!
You’re only saying that cause you’re a guitarluva just like me
Old 01-05-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
You’re only saying that cause you’re a guitarluva just like me
I am guilty as charged!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars