The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-06-2016, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandpaD View Post
I also own an Alvarez ABT-60.
The string spacing has never been a issue for me.
Like any guitar, try to can play one before you buy it.

Correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't Taylor recommend tuning C to C at the lowest?
I like the B to B tuning that I get with my Alvarez.
This allows you to play with other standard tuned guitars more than C to C tuning does.
My Taylor is B to B.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 07-06-2016, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

Still liking my Larrivee BT03 and the price was right.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:16 AM

When I was initially looking, the Larrivee BT03 was a great option at a good price, but it was a limited run not a regular production model. They were all gone by the time I discovered them. I would still like to try one someday.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by telewired View Post
Those Avian Falcon Baritone look really good and right up my lane---but they seem impossible to find-----
Dream Guitars is a dealer.

http://www.dreamguitars.com/instruments.php?sname=avian

If they don't have one in stock, they'll likely be able to order one.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:10 PM

There are Furch baritones, right?
http://www.furch.cz/en/baritone-guitars/
Old 07-06-2016, 06:23 PM
Charter Member

Lark Street has two Larivee baritones in stock now, right at your price point

http://larkstreetmusic.com/list/pict/LarriBAri.jpg
Old 07-08-2016, 06:21 AM

I've been thinking lately I make like to get a steel body resonator. I dropped into my favorite store today to play some and can't say I enjoyed it nearly as much as I thought I would. They had an Alvarez baritone there so I gave that a burl and wow, what a great guitar. It does have a 1 3/4 nut though.

I had a look and Ibanez may have what you're after but I've never seen one.

The only other baritone I've played is a Walden. Great build quality but 1 13/16 nut, and a shorter "Taylor" scale.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:01 AM

Default Avoid Alvarez

I strongly disagree with these recommendations to try the Alvarez Artist series baritone. I'm currently looking to replace mine (and is why I'm on here). I got an artist series parlor years back and it was the worst guitar I ever bought. This one sounds similar... a very plastic-y sound. And I'm not some snob, yes I own Martin's, Gibson's, Taylor's but also cheaper line Yamaha's and Breedlove's... and my first guitar was a 90 buck Epiphone which I still have (DR-90? or similar) and that guitar I'm just blown away with for the price and sound compared to each to these artist series Alvarez's. I've always wanted to try the Yairi or Masterworks series (in general... don't think they have a baritone), as I've heard good things about those.... If I wasn't looking for a baritone I never would have purchased one of the artists series models again, as again, this one sounds the same as the crappy parlor I got, just with a little more projection because of the size difference.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgim43 View Post
I strongly disagree with these recommendations to try the Alvarez Artist series baritone. I'm currently looking to replace mine (and is why I'm on here). I got an artist series parlor years back and it was the worst guitar I ever bought. This one sounds similar... a very plastic-y sound. And I'm not some snob, yes I own Martin's, Gibson's, Taylor's but also cheaper line Yamaha's and Breedlove's... and my first guitar was a 90 buck Epiphone which I still have (DR-90? or similar) and that guitar I'm just blown away with for the price and sound compared to each to these artist series Alvarez's. I've always wanted to try the Yairi or Masterworks series (in general... don't think they have a baritone), as I've heard good things about those.... If I wasn't looking for a baritone I never would have purchased one of the artists series models again, as again, this one sounds the same as the crappy parlor I got, just with a little more projection because of the size difference.
Maybe you got a bad one; the ABT60E sounds pretty good in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g33NBgljpk
Old 01-16-2019, 07:54 AM
Charter Member

Although these comments aren't likely to help the original poster who was asking about baritones back in 2016 and has probably made a decision by now, I have to say that the Alvarez Artist baritone is a pretty darn nice guitar for the money. I own a number of relatively expensive guitars, like a Goodall, a Martin Authentic, a couple of Collingeses, an individual luthier-built guitar or two and, yes, an Alvarez baritone. Is the Alvarez as good as a luthier-built guitar? No, not by a long shot. But it's a darn nice guitar for the modest price and an eminently serviceable instrument that plays well and sounds good. I can't say that this would be true for every single one you might encounter but mine, ordered from a big-box store, arrived with a decent setup and has the tone I was looking for in a modestly-priced baritone. I'm sure that closer to the OP's $1500 price point there are more capable offerings but for what it cost, the Alvarez delivers more than I expected.

Guitars differ from example to example and players differ in what suits their hands and ears. My experience may not be the same as anyone else's and both opinions can be perfectly legitimate. But I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised by the Alvarez Artist baritone.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:12 PM

Default And cheap too!

Fender RK Tele
Godin ACS SA, 5th Ave
Gretsch G7593, G9240
Martin JC-16ME Aura, J12-16GT, 000C Nylon
Ovation:
Adamas U681T, Elite 5868, Elite DS778TX, Elite Collectors '98
Custom Legend, Legend LX 12 string, Balladeer, Classical
Parker MIDIfly, P10E
Steinberger Synapse
Taylor 320, NS34
Yamaha SA503

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion