The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-21-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
Well of course it's your choice, and as you're "dancing about architecture"--as we all do when trying to describe sound and feel, so we probably can't help you all that much.

I doubt the finish is causing any discernable difference in the sound, even unplugged. Yes, there are people who feel differently about that.

You've already mentioned different string sets at least in age and usage. That'd be one prime suspect, and one that two fresh sets of the same strings put on them both would help answer.

Minor setup things could change the sound a bit. Things like the height of the bridge vs tailpiece, but I see the 390 is has a trapeze tailpiece. Pickup height and magnet strength could also impact sound with their field, even when the guitar is unplugged. P90s aren't as problematic as some Fender single coils, but it's another thing to consider. Nut slots also could be better cut on one over another, though you don't mention any of the symptoms of a one that surely needs a setup fix (like buzzes, bad action, or sticky tuning).

The individual pieces of wood (even with a laminated body) could lend some inherent differences in sound. That's something you can't change. If it was a set of Fender bolt-on necks, you could do something about that, but it's not. If they are same model and year (are they?) it's unlikely that other small, changeable things (bridge material, tuners, nut) are different.

Since you seem to like the black one for looks, and wanted black (and might want a black one again if you sell it), I'd encourage you to make sure that those little things are "right" or "the same" on the sunburst. Certainly start with strings.
All good points I hadn't considered. I should have mentioned both guitars are 2013s with minihumbuckers ('14 and '15 had the P90s), both actions are the basically the same at 12 and nut. The more muted black is about 1/2mm higher at 12 than the burst, and the black's pickups are lower, which should reduce magnet pull on the strings, relative to the burst, which differences should favor the black, tonewise.

I think the difference I'm hearing is down to string age difference and/or construction differences. The consensus view here and elsewhere seems to be that finish pigment doesn't impact volume/tone, even when it's thick enough to obscure the woodgrain. I'll change the strings and re-test, then decide.

Thanks to all for the useful input.
Old 12-21-2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
wasn't it billy corgan who said blue guitars sound best?

play music!
actually I think it was Bill Dance who said I use any color plastic worm, as long as it’s blue One Love
Old 12-27-2018, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
I think the difference I'm hearing is down to string age difference and/or construction differences
I've now changed the strings, re-done the comparo, and the guitars now sound just about the same. Lesson learned - strings matter, even on an electric (semi-acoustic/electric, at least).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars