The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-09-2018, 10:18 AM

Default Hammett plays 1959 "Greeny" Les Paul on stage Every Night

I watched a video of Kirk Hammett (Metallica) talking about how he plays his 1959 Gibson Les Paul every night while on tour with Metallica. It gets played for one or two songs and I just found some Youtube videos of those concerts.

This isn't just any '59 Les Paul, it's known as "Greeny" because it was once owned by Peter Green (Fleetwood Mac) and then Gary Moore before Kirk bought it in 2014. Lots of provenance on that guitar. It is rumored that Kirk payed about $2M.

How cool is it that a vintage guitar like that is gigged rather than staying home in a locked case.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:48 AM

Yet he gets a lot of hate from the "blooz" dads because his "tone" doesn't match their preference or because he doesn't play dad rock.

I, too appreciate that he actually plays the guitar instead of letting it gather dust in a vault.

I think Kirk is just a guitar geek like you and me, just with the necessary cash to actually buy an original burst.

And about a dozen electrics

New/Old Gibby owners here UNITE! Let's see em!
Old 09-09-2018, 11:01 AM

Summer of 1968 at the Fillmore West is where I first laid my eyes on that guitar. Peter Green immediately changed everything for me on how I looked at guitar players. He was simply untouchable. Nice to see that it is still being played live. Greeny would be happy I'm sure.
Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]
Old 09-09-2018, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Becker View Post
Yet he gets a lot of hate from the "blooz" dads because his "tone" doesn't match their preference or because he doesn't play dad rock.

I, too appreciate that he actually plays the guitar instead of letting it gather dust in a vault.

I think Kirk is just a guitar geek like you and me, just with the necessary cash to actually buy an original burst.
Kirk has lots of cash. I think he mentioned that he has another '58 or '59 Les Paul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidd View Post
Summer of 1968 at the Fillmore West is where I first laid my eyes on that guitar. Peter Green immediately changed everything for me on how I looked at guitar players. He was simply untouchable. Nice to see that it is still being played live. Greeny would be happy I'm sure.
Greeny would be happy as would Gary Moore (RIP). Moore had to sell it after playing it for years due to financial reasons.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I watched a video of Kirk Hammett (Metallica) talking about how he plays his 1959 Gibson Les Paul every night while on tour with Metallica. It gets played for one or two songs and I just found some Youtube videos of those concerts.

This isn't just any '59 Les Paul, it's known as "Greeny" because it was once owned by Peter Green (Fleetwood Mac) and then Gary Moore before Kirk bought it in 2014. Lots of provenance on that guitar. It is rumored that Kirk payed about $2M.

How cool is it that a vintage guitar like that is gigged rather than staying home in a locked case.
That's cool, didn't know that about Kirk H. Try a Joe Bonamassa show some time if you want to see vintage stuff being played instead of sitting in a vault.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Becker View Post

Metallica has reached “dad rock” status by now. [emoji23]
Old 09-10-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
That's cool, didn't know that about Kirk H. Try a Joe Bonamassa show some time if you want to see vintage stuff being played instead of sitting in a vault.
I watched a Guitar Rig video on Joe Bonamassa a couple weeks ago and he takes a few vintage guitars on the road for every show. Strats and Les Pauls. So cool.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:12 PM

i'm a blues/rock guy and i applaud his use of the guitar. only a couple of years and most turned out to be great. play those puppies!

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 09-10-2018, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I watched a Guitar Rig video on Joe Bonamassa a couple weeks ago and he takes a few vintage guitars on the road for every show. Strats and Les Pauls. So cool.
dru: i saw that and enjoyed it too. joe has done his homework. the premier guy was a little over the top but a great video anyway.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 09-11-2018, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidd View Post
Greeny would be happy I'm sure.

Presumably he knows. Somebody could ask him.

Though I seem to recall reading somewhere that he thought the guitar was dangerous or malevolent or something like that. It might be he was not fully recovered from his mental illnesses. Or it might be he was tired of questions about the guitar. I just recall that whatever he said, it was a bit odd.

To my mind, that guitar is truly legendary.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:00 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I'm glad it is out on the road. These things weren't meant to end up in a vault in New Jersey.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 09-12-2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
dru: i saw that and enjoyed it too. joe has done his homework. the premier guy was a little over the top but a great video anyway.

play music!
lol, yea the host was over the top but his smile and gestures did seem genuine.
Old 10-02-2018, 04:08 PM

Nice to see that old stuff being used. A couple of months ago, I saw a solo Neil Young show, and he brought everything with him - all the historic old instruments that he played on all those records that we loved. He had "Hank" - the Hank Williams Martin, and one of four D45s that Steve Stills brought into a Buffalo Springfield session one day and handed out to the band. And another D45 that Stills gave him later that had a very funny story attached to it. He brought his White Falcon and 2 tweed Deluxes to play it through. And, most amazing to me - he brought FOUR keyboards: his 1870 grand piano, a baby grand, an upright piano, and his pump organ. These are the instruments that he played on all his records over the decades; and he played them all that night. As he picked up each instrument, he told a story about it before he played the song. It was surreal, and cool beyond words.
I now feel a little ridiculous for leaving my Martins at home when I have a gig, and playing the Yamaha.
Old 10-02-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostnote View Post
Nice to see that old stuff being used. A couple of months ago, I saw a solo Neil Young show, and he brought everything with him - all the historic old instruments that he played on all those records that we loved. He had "Hank" - the Hank Williams Martin, and one of four D45s that Steve Stills brought into a Buffalo Springfield session one day and handed out to the band. And another D45 that Stills gave him later that had a very funny story attached to it. He brought his White Falcon and 2 tweed Deluxes to play it through. And, most amazing to me - he brought FOUR keyboards: his 1870 grand piano, a baby grand, an upright piano, and his pump organ. These are the instruments that he played on all his records over the decades; and he played them all that night. As he picked up each instrument, he told a story about it before he played the song. It was surreal, and cool beyond words.
I now feel a little ridiculous for leaving my Martins at home when I have a gig, and playing the Yamaha.
Great that Neil brings his guitars with him.

What Martins do you have that you leave at home?
Old 10-02-2018, 04:44 PM

Hey Dru. My Martins are nothing really expensive, nor fabulous, except to me. And I'm not sure why I leave 'em home, either. Just habit, I guess - which is why it's ridiculous to not play them live. I have a custom 0000-28H, and a 000-15M, and a D16R-LSH. That last is the one I play the most, and is actually perfect for gigging: big but not boomy tone, easy to play, and can hang with just about anything.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars