The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-21-2017, 03:50 PM

Default Merry Christmas to me: Neumann TLM49 & UA Solo 610 Tube Preamp combo----thoughts?

Spur of the moment purchase. I am an impulse buyer, & made the decision in less than 24 hours. Budget was $2700....Merry Christmas to me

Mainly for VOX, but I also have a couple of Acoustic Guitars I record....The amazing thing is I am a vocalist first, & I have been using a $299 mic for 6 years.....Moving up from an Audio Technica 4040 with no preamp.......

Thoughts anyone?

Neumann TLM49 https://www.zzounds.com/item--NEUTLM... Mic | zZounds

Universal Audio Solo 610 Tube Preamp https://www.zzounds.com/item--UADSOL...eamp | zZounds

Breedlove American C25 SME--Neumann KMS 105---Fishman Loudbox Performer---KORG PA 4X--Tascam DP 24
God, My Guitar, & Me

Last edited by SteveA; 12-21-2017 at 07:02 PM.
Old 12-21-2017, 04:10 PM

fine as it goes. I would look at other mic options — at that price range have a loo at the new Mojave 1000 mic and others. The are new designs, made for the digital world and I think better value for money. Other brands in that price range might make sense as well. Spend some time on Gearslutz!

The interface? No idea really but they are clearly good enough as would be Focusrite and many others.

My only advice would be to look any the budget. A good mic and interface? YEs. But a good preamp for vocals is a big asset — look at Golden Age or Warm Audoi for amazing value for money.
Martin J40
Old 12-21-2017, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

I have not owned or demoed either.... BUT While there are lots of options in the price range, that fact alone does not make either of the two items any less desirable . I suspect you will be thrilled

The mic is considered to be a good vocal mic able to handle a fairly wide range of vocals, particularly male vocals (with the slight boost it has in the upper mids) and while it is true that any mic no matter how good may not be the best option for a specific voice, that is often the exception and not the norm .

The mic gets good reviews over on GearSlutz And the K47 capsule is indeed after all, considered an Industry standard

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/revi...-tlm-49-a.html

The 610 being a UAD product is likely a good workhorse tube pre, the only possible drawback I can think of is only 1 channel, but it is not like you cannot get another one if you really like it and decide you want two channels of pre's .........or even eventually get a good SS two channel pre, and have three channels with two different flavors-- Tube and SS.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 12-21-2017 at 04:46 PM.
Old 12-21-2017, 04:31 PM

Did you already buy it? If so, congrats, it sounds like a good pairing. But when it comes down to microphones, for an individual voice, it all comes down to is this mic right for this voice. If it doesn't suit your voice hopefully they will have a liberal return policy. Although many people rag on the TLM series microphones, I'm a fan. I own a pair of TLM103s along with many more costly Neumann mics. And I have used the TLM49 and I like it! If it doesn't suit your voice there are many good options in that price range and some below, but if you go that route remember that Neumann has more experience, and consistency when it comes to building capsules than all of the budget microphones out there. That's their forte'!

I also like UA mics preamps, but I think you mean the 610? I have two LA610s, which I think are the same pre coupled with a tube compressor, and I like them very much. One thing to remember with these preamps is that the gain control also affects the amount of negative feedback in the signal which most people would describe as the warmth (musical distortion). Keeping that gain control lower will give you a nice clean signal for when you need that. I good way to learn what that pre is doing is to record a very clean vocal without it then run that recording through it and play with the Gain and Output knobs. I find that much easier to do than rotating the gain while singing. And remember there are no absolutes when using the impedance switch, try both settings with each microphone you throw at it. And another big advantage to the 610 is that it is a great DI for guitars, bass, and keyboard.

Have fun!!!

Last edited by rockabilly69; 12-21-2017 at 04:41 PM.
Old 12-21-2017, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA View Post
Spur of the moment purchase. I am an impulse buyer, & made the decision in less than 24 hours. Budget was $2700....Merry Christmas to me

Mainly for VOX, but I also have a couple of Acoustic Guitars I record....The amazing thing is I am a vocalist first, & I have been using a $299 mic for 6 years.....Moving up from an Audio Technica 4040 with no preamp.......

Thoughts anyone?

Neumann TLM49 https://www.zzounds.com/item--NEUTLM... Mic | zZounds

Universal Audio Solo 610 Tube Preamp https://www.zzounds.com/item--UADSOL...eamp | zZounds
You're going to be very happy with that combo. Both of those are exceptional items. I've used both of those over the years in different recording sessions.

Be warned - you're going to want a second of each for stereo guitar recordings.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 12-21-2017, 08:11 PM
Guitar Gourmet

I worked with a pair of the old M49s at one point. Wonder how the TLM version compares?

One question: What will be under the tree?

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 12-22-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
I worked with a pair of the old M49s at one point. Wonder how the TLM version compares?

One question: What will be under the tree?

Bob

If memory serves, the M49 was a bit "chunkier" in the mids. The TLM49 was a little more articulate.

I do love a couple or 3 M49s in front of an orchestra or choir. I've not had the opportunity to try the TLM49s that way.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 12-22-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Howell View Post
fine as it goes. I would look at other mic options — at that price range have a loo at the new Mojave 1000 mic and others. The are new designs, made for the digital world and I think better value for money.
I get it about trying other mics, but in the Studio Neumann U87 (original) has always served me well, & I use the Neumann KMS105 "live"...The Neumann sound fits my voice, so no need to look elsewhere....

It just so happened there was an 18 month offer at 0% interest on both items which made this a no brainer for me....Neumann was the only Microphone brand partaking other than the AKG 414 (which I have used and doesn't do much for my particular vocals)....The promo deal got me going and I pulled the trigger

I messed with it a little last night and cannot believe I was using the AT4040 for years and never "thought" to upgrade in the past 6 years. $4000 keyboards, $4000 guitars & a $300 microphone for a Singer/Songwriter....Not sure why I never even considered upgrading at all in 6 years, but that problem is now solved...

Got 11 days off of work starting today....Ho Ho Ho....

Breedlove American C25 SME--Neumann KMS 105---Fishman Loudbox Performer---KORG PA 4X--Tascam DP 24
God, My Guitar, & Me

Last edited by SteveA; 12-22-2017 at 09:42 AM.
Old 12-23-2017, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
...[snip]....

I messed with it a little last night and cannot believe I was using the AT4040 for years and never "thought" to upgrade in the past 6 years. $4000 keyboards, $4000 guitars & a $300 microphone for a Singer/Songwriter....Not sure why I never even considered upgrading at all in 6 years, but that problem is now solved...

..[snip]........
I've also noticed, myself included, that a lot of folks with expensive guitars go into recording with expectations of spending minimal on equipment. I've also noticed on gearslutz, that a lot of folks with expensive recording gear are using quite inexpensive guitars. I guess it's sometimes priorities of one over the other, and sometimes balancing between the two.

Glad to hear your purchase is working out well for you.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 12-24-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
I've also noticed on gearslutz, that a lot of folks with expensive recording gear are using quite inexpensive guitars.
One of those folks would be me, I guess. In my case, that's really about "casting" the instrument for the role. If the singer of a song is broke or down and out or cryin' the blues, in my mind it's a bad fit to put a 50-year-old Martin in his lap.

Couch Standards
Old 12-24-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Spur of the moment purchase. <> Merry Christmas to me.
Those are both really nice and very pro. Merry Christmas to you!

Couch Standards

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD