The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-24-2020, 06:13 AM
Charter Member

The fact that you’re still thinking about the one that got away tells me that you should take the leap. But, you gotta play it first.
Old 01-24-2020, 06:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
You should play it first.
This or make sure there is a suitable return policy.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 01-24-2020, 06:20 AM
Charter Member

To buy,
Or not to buy.
That is the question.
H
Old 01-24-2020, 06:28 AM

I've thought if I was young and wanted a guitar I would be playing for the rest of my life of 40-70 years, it would not matter much, assuming no large financial screw up, whether it cost $600 or $6000. Fortunately for me, my all in acoustic guitar was only $825.

1984 Carvin LB-40 bass
1986 Carvin DC-125 two humbucker
1996 Taylor 412
La Patrie Concert
2012 American Standard Telecaster
1981 Carvin DC 100
Harley Benton LP JR DC
Bushman Delta Frost & Suzuki harmonicas
Artley flute
Six-plus decade old vocal apparatus

Last edited by alnico5; 01-24-2020 at 03:58 PM.
Old 01-24-2020, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliberate1 View Post
To buy,
Or not to buy.
That is the question.
H
Whether ‘tis nobler in the mind to purchase
A guitar that costs a fortune
Or to take arms against a sea of GASsers
And by opposing, make do

Old 01-24-2020, 06:50 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by garthjmoore View Post
About 15 years ago, I was at Rudy’s in NYC and played a Lowden S35c in cocobolo. It was the most comfortable, perfectly intonated, well appointed, just sensational guitar I have ever played. When I finally got the gumption to purchase it, it was gone.

I’ve bought and sold a million guitars since then. I’m 49, don’t play out anymore, full-time career, two kids in college, and usually just play for myself, sometimes record some pieces. I have a full-time job, but not a ton of money. However, I’ve seen a new s35c 12 fret online that looks perfect. However, it’s $6k. I’m not the most careful person in the world when taking care of things, so worry about an investment where it would get damaged. And I wouldn’t probably ever play it out with it, unless really inspired.

I can sell all my instruments and a few other things to get it. I haven’t played it, just have this feeling when I see it. Is this a Holy Grail chase? Making too much of this? Worth pursuing? I just bought a Farida from Elderly Music and it’s fine. But should I go after this? What would you do?
Garth M,

If you look at the guitars in my signature, it reveals what i would do. But I'm not you, so these are my suggestions/ideas on the matter.

I have no doubt that the Lowden you picked up 1.5 decades ago was special.
It may have been so special, that it has built up to a mythical level in your mind by now. Things have a way fro doing this with all of us - the infamous "one that got away".

It does sound to me like you may be ready to find the ones (I also suggest keeping a good, affordable instrument that need not be babied much - they won't bring enough money to do considerable damge towards a 6K guita, so why sell everything?).

There is no Grail without a Quest. That's what you should go on now. Find some high end guitar store near you and start making road trips in your search. Try anything & everything that tickles your fancy. Once you hit the 2-2.5k realm, there isn't just one grail, but thousands to be found.

Take your time. Enjoy the hunt. If it takes you back to that 6k Lowden, then do it. You may find something that speaks to you just as strongly for quite a bit less.

Remember, even the Knights needed enough leftover money for armor.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 01-24-2020, 07:05 AM
Charter Member

It is a journey to find the guitar that ticks your boxes, but when you do, it is special.

Two things stick out for me in the OP; not being too careful and the last purchase was just fine...(obviously, I paraphrased). With that, a couple questions:

1. Would the “guitar of your dreams” ask you to be me careful? If so, is that something you want to do? Would being extra careful frustrate you, and feel burdensome?

2. If the last purchase you made is “fine”, does it give you satisfaction, or are you “looking for love in all the wrong places?”

No right or wrong answer and only the OP can answer it. But, if you have the resources to make it happen, maybe take the chance on getting the one you have been lusting after? My guess is whatever decision you make, the OP will learn more about what matters most to him/her....and that is always a good thing.

Good luck!
Old 01-24-2020, 07:34 AM

Think: you have not played it yet. Most likely the seller will give you a short period to audition it, so you have an out if you decide against it. What's to lose?

This is what you can lose: you said you have to sell your guitars and other musical equipment to get it. Suppose you decide you do not like it and now all that stuff is gone? Secondly, you said you are not the most careful about your instruments - suppose you dinged it and then wanted to return it?

That said, I am not discouraging you from buying it; I just want you to think of these things. You are no kid and have been playing long enough to understand what you want from an instrument and what your needs are. If you were wealthier, you would not need to have all your eggs in one basket and I'd tell you to just follow your heart, regardless.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 01-24-2020, 07:52 AM

There are different kinds of investments. Instruments are not usually great financial investments, but are often wonderful life-affirming, joyful investments.

I was almost 20 years older than you when I purchased my African Blackwood Lowden for a considerable sum. While I am good at taking care of my instruments, it's no longer worth $10,000 and can't be considered a good financial investment.

But I have not had a single moment of regret over that purchase. I only traded one guitar, but for all practical purposes I could have traded a few more - I play the Lowden almost every day, and the 2% of the time I play one of the others it's just so I don't feel silly still owning them.

But that would drive some players crazy. You have to know if you're a favorites guy like me, or if you'd rather enjoy a great variety.

So I would obviously buy the guitar. But you'll have to decide which decision will bring you the most joy.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 01-24-2020, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphH View Post
Singers don't have this trouble; they just make do with the one voice they have and don't complain it's as bad as eating only cornflakes every day for the rest of their life.

I think having to play the same one song forever might be like having Corn Flakes everyday. But needing lots of different guitars? Nah, sorry, not buying it!
Well thats pretty insulting...really. Think about what you said. By reading my post you come to the conclusion I cant sing ( your quote: "singers dont have this trouble" like I'm not a real singer), I'm a complainer, and its wrong that I like to have a variety of guitars to play. The OP asked for opinions so I gave him mine. Thats because I can formulate a response to the question, not take a poke at someones elses post. The last bit about the movie was allegorical. So instead of addressing the subject and supporting your decision as to why you dont like multiple instruments, you bash me for my opinion. I know guys who fish who have lots of rod and reels, each for its own application. Or sportsmen with different gauge shotguns. This is no different. Nice...this place s getting like facebook, dont why I even bother posting here.

Last edited by GHS; 01-24-2020 at 08:36 AM. Reason: info more info
Old 01-24-2020, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

Do what tbman sez: play it first. I've had an all-in guitar
that I've been happy with for almost 20 years... I recently
got another very different good guitar and now I realize
I like the kind (width) of neck on the one I just got
a lot more. There's a lot of good guitars, but they don't
all fit you.

-Mike "duh <- I'm referring to me "
Old 01-24-2020, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHS View Post
Well thats pretty insulting...really. Think about what you said. By reading my post you come to the conclusion I cant sing ( your quote: "singers dont have this trouble" like I'm not a real singer), I'm a complainer, and its wrong that I like to have a variety of guitars to play. The last bit about the movie was allegorical. So instead of addressing the subject and supporting your decision as to why you dont like multiple instruments, you bash me for my opinion. Nice...this place s getting like facebook, dont why I bother even posting here.
I think you took that the wrong way. He didn’t say anything about your singing, he just said there are certain instruments (i.e. the voice) you can’t just change on a whim, doesn’t make it any less enjoyable though working on your technique.

Maybe another comparison would be the grand piano - most likely a pianist will only be able to afford and have space for one. We’re lucky with guitar that there are so many options out there, often for a modest cost, but owning multiple guitars is by no means for everyone. I can only justify owning two for my own needs - one for gigging that I don’t care if it gets dinged or could live with it getting stolen, and a better one for my own pleasure at home.

Old 01-24-2020, 08:25 AM
Guest 33123

I did that once in the late 90s. I sold absolutely everything (guitars, bass, amp, pedals, recording and pro audio gear) and went down to one electric guitar (cherry red Gibson ES-335 dot) and one amp (Mesa Boogie DC-2). Simple, right? 8 guitars and one amp later, the 335 and the Boogie are long, long gone. So yeah that didn't work so well... YMMV.

Last edited by Guest 33123; 01-24-2020 at 08:44 AM.
Old 01-24-2020, 08:26 AM

I am a Lowden fan, but I will say, if we are talking about Rudy's on 48th and the little room on the second floor - that room imo just sounds good. Every guitar I have tried in there sounded very good to great.

It's one of those situations where I strongly suspect the experience will be different once you get the guitar home. Not to say it won't still be great, but different.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 01-24-2020, 08:33 AM

As one poster already said, either play it first or make sure there is a return policy. And don't sell your current guitars until you are sure. I have been toying with doing the same thing and getting a Froggy Bottom.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
gas, lowden