The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-12-2013, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

Default Justonwo Healdsburg Journal 2013

Healdsburg 2013 was an absolute blast! The luthier community and all the fans were great fun to hang around with for 3 days. I had a chance to meet many forumites like Jason Choi (jasonechoi), Colin Stucley (colins), Bill Douglas (Billy Boy), Becky (BellaD4), Phil (riorider), Trevor Moyle, Dave (Diamond Dave), and Al Dacosta (albertdacosta). Everyone was so warm and enthusiastic, it really made the show all the enjoyable. Jason Choi, it was awesome hanging out with you and swapping guitars!

And of course, I got a chance to hang out with luthiers and play some great guitars. My special thanks to Mike Baranik, Michael Bashkin, John Osthoff, Laurent Brondel, Bruce Sexauer, Jason Kostal, James from Schoenberg, Jeff Traugott, and Michi Matsuda.

Got a chance to over-drink and eat pizza with Baranik, Bashkin, and Harry Fleishman on Friday night. Had a very enjoyable dinner with Trevor Moyle, Al Dacosta, Mike Baranik, Mike Bashkin, and Colin Stucley on Saturday night, and then beer and dinner with Colin again on Sunday night.

One of the many highlights of the show for me was the guitars by Laurent Brondel. I ultimately decided to commission an A-2. His guitars are incredibly light, responsive, clear, and powerful. His A-2 was, for me, the best guitar of the show (for the types I was really looking for, which were smaller, lighter guitars with perhaps more of a vintage bent). Bruce Sexauer’s 3 main show pieces were extraordinary as well.

It goes without saying that I loved the Baraniks and Kostals. Here is a photo journey for those of you who weren’t able to make it to the show. Somehow I forgot to snap photos of the Osthoff guitars. John Osthoff was extremely generous and lent me a mahogany/Italian spruce 00-12 he brought to the show. This is one light weight guitar! I really liked the tone when I played it outside in the open air, but I was absolutely stunned after playing it indoors with a little acoustic reflection. Probably my favorite 00-12 of the show. Extraordinary touch responsiveness, volume, and clarity. I will snap some photos soon. John was incredibly generous with his time and guitars.

Here are some shot’s from Jason’s table. It was great to get a chance to play two excellent modified dreads and compare to my own, and to play an OM and his new 00-12. All fantastic guitars. Of course, it was a delight to hang out with Jason (who was drawn in 15,000 directions by all his superfans).

Very creative guitars by Mervyn Davis

Stehr’s display.

Lovely work by Summit Guitars.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

It was a thrill to play a few Schoenbergs. Bruce Sexauer’s koa 00-12 was amazing, as were the OM by John Slobod and a particularly gorgeous mahogany 0000 by Randall Kramer.

Some fantastic work by Bill Tippin

Old 08-12-2013, 12:45 PM
Charter Member

A killer slide guitar by Scott Walker.

Some Somogyi-inspired inlay work by Hiroshi Ogino (NOT Fujii Guitars, as previously listed).

I played this very enjoyable 12 string by Hoffman Guitars. The fiddleback mahogany is incredible.

Last edited by justonwo; 08-15-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

As usual, Mike Bashkin continues to produce some of my show favorites. I was particularly taken by his new 12 fret design. Talk about a warm guitar! That thing practically plays itself. Very rich and expressive. I think Diamond Dave was really taken by this one as well.

Last edited by justonwo; 08-12-2013 at 10:34 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

Bruce Sexauer builds incredibly light and responsive guitars. Some of my favorites at the show. I put a lot of time on the Pernambuco 15.5” guitar. The catalpa and magnolia (i.e. green) guitar was absolutely incredible. I’m sure it was overlooked by many because of the unusual woods, but it was a top contender at the show for sure.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

Kathy Wingert brought some stunning inlay work. Awesome eye candy!

I played my first Traugott. Not only is Jeff an incredibly nice guy (and I got a t-shirt!), but I think I speak for everyone when I say, holy crap.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

Laurent Brodel’s work is as stunning to play and hear as it is to look at. Laurent was gracious about my 15 trips back and forth test driving his A-2 and ultimately I couldn’t resist. Visually, his black and white beauty was perhaps the single most attractive guitar at the show.

Some incredible work by Tom Doerr. I played his 100th guitar, and it had a huge, rumbling bass and really sweet trebles. Great guitar.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

Some beautiful rosettes by Melo and Esparza.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

Great pieces by Ken Franklin and Michael Lewis.

There was this guy . . .

Exotic woods from Jeffrey Yong.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

As per usual, Michi Matsuda leaves everyone speechless.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Cool sculpted rosettes by Keystone.

Mike and the Baraniks.

Some amazing Claxtons. I played the mahogany-backed Claxton headed for Trevor’s shop. Someone is in for a treat! Absolutely thrilling. Definitely one of the best of the show.

And last a gaggle of Goodalls.

Enthusiasts.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:26 PM

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your wonderful review! For those of us who could not make it to the show, seeing all the photographs of incredible instruments is great. Thanks again!
Old 08-12-2013, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

Juston,
I have been eagerly awaiting your Healdsburg thread. It did not disapoint. Thanks for your time and enthusiasm.

Steve

P.S. Any other shots of Laurent's guitars?
Old 08-12-2013, 02:09 PM

Oh, oh, oh! I'm booking my flight for the next one now! Guitar heaven. Thanks so much for documenting and sharing - it must have been a fabulous time!
Old 08-12-2013, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

Default Regarding your HGF documentation....

. . I think I speak for everyone when I say, holy crap.

Ok, let's hear'em: Your personal top 5 favs of the show?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop