The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-01-2018, 10:00 PM

That is pretty pricey. I've been happy with Elixir 80/20 Nano Lights - the strings that Yamaha puts on all of their medium end guitars.

Guess what they put on their Japanese made L series guitars? YAMAHA / FS50BT Yamaha Acoustic Guitar Strings Custom Light strings, also $18! Are they worth it? I'll skip.

One thing's for sure. New strings and pretty new strings really make a guitar shine.
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.
Old 07-02-2018, 01:31 AM

I’ve used low and medium tension. I found the low tension didn’t drive the tops of my OM’s when in lowered tunings but the end tensions I like. They are a warm sounding string and sometimes I feel they lack a bit of bite..but I do like them.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 07-02-2018, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Anyone use them? $18. Really?
Yes, really. Seriously, in fact! They are amazing and will last you at least 3 months due to whatever magic coating they use. I'm saving money in the long run with these strings, but I highly suggest the Mid Tension.

Tone for days, they feel amazing, and they last. You can't even tell they are coated. I will not use anything else from here on out.

But let's do the math. I was using John Pearse New mediums at a cost of $7 per pack. I was changing them every 2 weeks on my main player. So that is essentially 2 packs per month. I can make a set of SC Strings last 3 months comfortably.

So, I was spending $42 on JP strings over 3 months vs $18 for SC strings. But let's be conservative and say I can make a set of JP last a month (which I can't). Now it is $21 vs $18.

Santa Cruz for the win!
Old 07-02-2018, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Anyone use them? $18. Really?
I've had the exact same thought. I spent the vast majority of my adult life saving for retirement and not buying all the things on my wish list - like most people.

I have not tried these strings yet, but like SUS on my Lowden.

I Like Martin Retro's on my Martin at $6 for easily 3 months. These strings would be three times as much. Ouch. But is it really a big ouch? $4 a month more means virtually nothing to my wallet.

If I told you a better sounding guitar was available for $4 a month more would you jump on that deal? Would I be crazy to consider spending an additional $4 a month on a guitar that cost me many thousands of dollars?

Now if you like the cheaper strings just as much that's a no-brainer. But I think sometimes we tend to lose some perspective for not much money.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 07-02-2018, 06:59 AM
Charter Member

I have the Med. tension on four dreadnoughts and I think they're great. They have the med. gauge tone, but are a little easier to handle. And they are less loud in the bass, so my Martin D-28 Marquis and my Collings D1-T sound well balanced for use with fingers or a pick. The lights were too soft for me on my SCGC OM--they just didn't drive the top enough. I may try the med on it one day. And yes, they last forever--cost is really not a big deal.
Old 07-02-2018, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
Yes, really. Seriously, in fact! They are amazing and will last you at least 3 months due to whatever magic coating they use. I'm saving money in the long run with these strings, but I highly suggest the Mid Tension.

Tone for days, they feel amazing, and they last. You can't even tell they are coated. I will not use anything else from here on out.

But let's do the math. I was using John Pearse New mediums at a cost of $7 per pack. I was changing them every 2 weeks on my main player. So that is essentially 2 packs per month. I can make a set of SC Strings last 3 months comfortably.

So, I was spending $42 on JP strings over 3 months vs $18 for SC strings. But let's be conservative and say I can make a set of JP last a month (which I can't). Now it is $21 vs $18.

Santa Cruz for the win!
Hold the phone now... SUS strings can last up to 6 weeks at $8.30/pk. You get a new fresh sound every 6 weeks as opposed to strings that might not still be in their prime at that time. Cost is $16.60 (including shipping- 6 set bundle... which isn't accounted for in the SC comparison). So $16.60 vs $18+shipping however they charge.

I used to use John Pearse on one of my Alvarez Yairis and my experience has been the same- They expire quickly and need changing every two weeks. . The only string that goes deader quicker are the D'Addario EJ16's.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 07-02-2018, 07:04 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:

Santa Cruz for the win!
Yep...what Blue said. I put Mids on both my guitars and WOW. The playability of lights with the crisp tone and volume of mediums. Had then on for about two months and they are still going strong.

FOR SALE: 2023 Martin 000-15SM 12 fret w/ K&K mini

Old 07-02-2018, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
Hold the phone now... SUS strings can last up to 6 weeks at $8.30/pk. You get a new fresh sound every 6 weeks as opposed to strings that might not still be in their prime at that time. Cost is $16.60 (including shipping- 6 set bundle... which isn't accounted for in the SC comparison). So $16.60 vs $18+shipping however they charge.

I used to use John Pearse on one of my Alvarez Yairis and my experience has been the same- They expire quickly and need changing every two weeks. . The only string that goes deader quicker are the D'Addario EJ16's.
I guess I just need to try the SUS brand. I'll get a set next time I order strings. I've heard people say that they are similar to SC, but honestly, SC strings are worth $18 a set to me. However, if SUS are just as good, it's a no brainer as you suggest!
Old 07-02-2018, 07:17 AM

Quote:
I guess I just need to try the SUS brand. I'll get a set next time I order strings. I've heard people say that they are similar to SC, but honestly, SC strings are worth $18 a set to me. However, if SUS are just as good, it's a no brainer as you suggest!
They are similar, but for your convenience I have constructed a gauge comparison chart so you can compare gauge, tension and set designation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Santa_Cruz_SUS_data_v2.jpg (43.1 KB, 160 views)
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 07-02-2018, 07:29 AM

Quote:
They are similar, but for your convenience I have constructed a gauge comparison chart so you can compare gauge, tension and set designation.
NOW I remember....it's the lower tension that keeps me away from SUS strings. Both of my main players are short scale, so I need the extra tension when playing in DADGAD.

Hmmm...however, I don't remember ever seeing the heavy tension as you outline....could look into those.
Old 07-02-2018, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

What am I missing? I just checked the tension spec for Exlixers Light(12) and found total tension to be 158 lbs. So how is Santa Cruz Strings Low tension again? The difference is only 2 lbs since it looks like Santa Cruz is at 156 lbs.
Old 07-02-2018, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYHIGH View Post
What am I missing? I just checked the tension spec for Exlixers Light(12) and found total tension to be 158 lbs. So how is Santa Cruz Strings Low tension again? The difference is only 2 lbs since it looks like Santa Cruz is at 156 lbs.
SC strings aren't necessarily that much less in tension, but rather "evenly" tensioned. It's more about having evenly dispersed tension from string to string rather than being slinky in feel. The "Low" vs "Mid" tension designation is due to distinguish between the two tensions SC offers...

Hope that helps...
Old 07-02-2018, 07:44 AM

As I sit here studying the comparison chart I recognize that there is a pretty distinct difference in the parabola between the different sets, particularly when comparing SC low and medium tension strings. The parabola of the SC medium tension, ignoring gauge and actual tension for the moment fairly well matches the SUS medium tension strings. The SC low tension does not have the same graduated increase and decrease in tension!

If you look at the SC chart the 6th string in both the light and medium tension sets are the same gauge and tension- and are 0.56, which are a little thick for "light" gauge strings.

Here is the question that is now haunting me... I've discovered that the low E is the most important string in the set because it is responsible for much of the sympathetic vibrations of the overtone series, causing resultant harmonics which are what we hear when we think of warm, lush and shimmery. I've tended to prefer .053-.054 gauge low E strings, even on sets that are more or less billed as medium gauge (i.e. GHS Signature Bronze True Medium). I recally installing the GHS SB/LJ True Mediums after trying their Light gauge and experiencing loss of volume with the TM's. But I scrapped the .056 low E replacing it with a .054 low E, maintaining the rest of the True Medium set and the overall volume returned. The .013 and .017 of the TM's controlled excess highs while the low E produced volume and shimmer. Ok... I didn't state the question. So here it is...

If you accept the above to be true (about the low E) then is it gauge, or tension that is more important to produce those overtones to get resultant harmonics and the shimmer?

What I gained from the GHS experiment is recognizing that thinner strings provide more overtones (highs) and less fundamental projection while thicker strings produce more fundamental, but less overtones. And if you think about it, this is the premise of Elixir HD Lights which were designed specifically for Taylor guitars (and if you can read between the lines now you can understand why Taylor thought they were needed).
Old 07-02-2018, 08:38 AM

Quote:
NOW I remember....it's the lower tension that keeps me away from SUS strings. Both of my main players are short scale, so I need the extra tension when playing in DADGAD.

Hmmm...however, I don't remember ever seeing the heavy tension as you outline....could look into those.
The same person engineered both SUS and SC strings. Also, they're designed for standard tuning. They're not meant for other tunings.

They sound ok in DADGAD?
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 07-02-2018, 08:42 AM

Quote:
As I sit here studying the comparison chart I recognize that there is a pretty distinct difference in the parabola between the different sets, particularly when comparing SC low and medium tension strings. The parabola of the SC medium tension, ignoring gauge and actual tension for the moment fairly well matches the SUS medium tension strings. The SC low tension does not have the same graduated increase and decrease in tension!

If you look at the SC chart the 6th string in both the light and medium tension sets are the same gauge and tension- and are 0.56, which are a little thick for "light" gauge strings.

Here is the question that is now haunting me... I've discovered that the low E is the most important string in the set because it is responsible for much of the sympathetic vibrations of the overtone series, causing resultant harmonics which are what we hear when we think of warm, lush and shimmery. I've tended to prefer .053-.054 gauge low E strings, even on sets that are more or less billed as medium gauge (i.e. GHS Signature Bronze True Medium). I recally installing the GHS SB/LJ True Mediums after trying their Light gauge and experiencing loss of volume with the TM's. But I scrapped the .056 low E replacing it with a .054 low E, maintaining the rest of the True Medium set and the overall volume returned. The .013 and .017 of the TM's controlled excess highs while the low E produced volume and shimmer. Ok... I didn't state the question. So here it is...

If you accept the above to be true (about the low E) then is it gauge, or tension that is more important to produce those overtones to get resultant harmonics and the shimmer?

What I gained from the GHS experiment is recognizing that thinner strings provide more overtones (highs) and less fundamental projection while thicker strings produce more fundamental, but less overtones. And if you think about it, this is the premise of Elixir HD Lights which were designed specifically for Taylor guitars (and if you can read between the lines now you can understand why Taylor thought they were needed).
Theoretically, where the string is plucked dictates the harmonic series and strength of the harmonics and that's basically it. The strength of the harmonics you hear on the guitar is a function of the string coupling to the guitar... so it's more the guitar than the string.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion