The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-09-2020, 08:39 AM

Default Search Function

Cannot get it to work effectively. Searches don't work. I know it was recently changed and moved to the top of the page.
Old 08-09-2020, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dryfly View Post
Cannot get it to work effectively. Searches don't work. I know it was recently changed and moved to the top of the page.
Seems normal to me. What topic are you looking for?

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 08-09-2020, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

Both search functions work for me. What isn't working?
Old 08-09-2020, 09:08 PM
Charter Member

I've long felt the Google search function on the forum to be hit or miss, with it seldom landing the results I'm looking for (which is usually specific for-sale posts in the classifieds forum). I've had better success using the legacy forum search feature.

To do a little test of the Google search, I found Marcury's post titled "Die-Cast Stickers" here in Open Mic just before posting this. I figured there probably weren't too many threads with such a specific topic. The Google search for that exact thread title returned 16 results, none of which included his post. The legacy forum search had it as the first result.

If I really want to find something on the forum, I usually abandon the forum's options all together and do a "site:www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums" search proceeded by my search terms directly on the Google homepage. It's strange that an external Google search works better for me than the forum's own Google custom search.

Austin
Iris DF Smeck | Lakewood M-32 | Gibson J-35 | Lakewood M-14 | Martin 000-15M | Lowden F-25 | Huss & Dalton Singletree Banjo | Brunner Outdoor Guitar | Composite Acoustics Cargo | Taylor GS Cocobolo Limited | Cole Clark UL-1 Uke | Godin Exit-22
Old 08-09-2020, 09:30 PM
AGF Administrator

Google's site-specific custom Programmable Search Engine (PSE) isn't as robust as their full web search, one limitation in particular being real-time results - the "Die-Cast Stickers" thread was posted 90 minutes ago (as of this post), so PSE won't see it until the site is re-indexed.
Old 08-09-2020, 11:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
Google's site-specific custom Programmable Search Engine (PSE) isn't as robust as their full web search, one limitation in particular being real-time results - the "Die-Cast Stickers" thread was posted 90 minutes ago (as of this post), so PSE won't see it until the site is re-indexed.
I love learning something new. Thanks for dropping the re-indexing knowledge, Jeremy!

Austin
Iris DF Smeck | Lakewood M-32 | Gibson J-35 | Lakewood M-14 | Martin 000-15M | Lowden F-25 | Huss & Dalton Singletree Banjo | Brunner Outdoor Guitar | Composite Acoustics Cargo | Taylor GS Cocobolo Limited | Cole Clark UL-1 Uke | Godin Exit-22

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic