The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-11-2020, 09:13 AM

$1,400 sounds a lot to me for a few scratches.

The Blue Book value on my car is less than $1,400. If I had my bumper scratched, what would the insurance company do then?
Old 08-11-2020, 09:59 AM

I think it came up somewhere in this thread that an option was to take the insurance money and forego the repair.

Do insurance companies still do that? As far as I can recall, every repair I’ve had done over th past 20 years the payment went directly to the repair shop.
Old 08-11-2020, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof S. View Post

The Blue Book value on my car is less than $1,400. If I had my bumper scratched, what would the insurance company do then?
If the book value of your car is less than $1,400 and it's in mint condition and you're still carrying comprehensive insurance (not just liability) then I'm fairly certain the insurance company is going to deny your claim and you're going to have to pay out of pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
I think it came up somewhere in this thread that an option was to take the insurance money and forego the repair.

Do insurance companies still do that? As far as I can recall, every repair I’ve had done over th past 20 years the payment went directly to the repair shop.
I'm pretty sure that's called fraud.
Old 08-11-2020, 04:29 PM

Quote:

They would total your car, and give you a check for it's value.

I'd recently rented a house, and a friend came to visit. No room to park in the driveway so he parked in the street. In the morning, we saw his driver's side rear quarter had been backed into. It was pretty clear what must have happened was the neighbor across the street backed out of her driveway and into buddy's car.

She hadn't left a note, so buddy waited all day for her to return, lo and behold her white car had black scuffs on rear bumper, where buddy had white scuffs on his black car... He confronted her VERY RESPECTFULLY but argument ensued. Police called, report filed. Her insurance info provided to buddy.

Well, he had a very rare but not very valuable 1993 Mercury Cougar XR7 (supercharged) with the extremely rare manual transmission. KBB was $2500, damage estimate was $3600. Insurance was going to pay him $2500, but he convinced them to give him $3600 based on extreme rarity of the car.

He pounded out the dent, sprayed some krylon on it, pocketed the $3600 and continued driving the car. This is not illegal or fraudulent...

Incident fomented extreme resentment towards me from neighbor, which included police being called on me a number of times, a heated sidewalk argument, her moving away and stealing the pink flamingo I used to as a marker to indicate 15 feet from the fire hydrant mark... (So she wouldn't call police on me about illegally parking too close to hydrant - which I did to provide her more room to back out of her driveway without hitting a car)
Old 08-12-2020, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post

Insurance companies never did that. Instead of the plaintiff filing a claim with their insurance, they simply tell the person whose car is damaged to provide them with an estimate in writing and they will pay the amount out of their own pocket.
That can be risky business because the person who accepts such an approach has no further recourse. In our case we are getting a rental car at no charge to us to use while ours is being fixed... courtesy of their insurance.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 08-12-2020, 05:38 AM

Quote:

You may feel that way, but that’s the way it is today. I spoke with someone just yesterday who has a similar scenario with their Kia Sportage SUV. In her case, the scratches were on the rear bumper cover. Only one other trim piece was to be replaced as opposed to the two pieces on mine.
Total Cost of repairs: $1100.00
Anyway, go to a body shop, any body shop and ask them what they would charge to sand and repaint a bumper cover on a mid-sized SUV.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 08-12-2020 at 05:43 AM.
Old 08-12-2020, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
You may feel that way, but that’s the way it is today. I spoke with someone just yesterday who has a similar scenario with their Kia Sportage SUV. In her case, the scratches were on the rear bumper cover. Only one other trim piece was to be replaced as opposed to the two pieces on mine.
Total Cost of repairs: $1100.00
Anyway, go to a body shop, any body shop and ask them what they would charge to sand and repaint a bumper cover on a mid-sized SUV.
I guess it's been a while since I had any bodywork done. I've had my present car for over 20 years and haven't had any bodywork done on it. So my ideas about prices are probably a little out of date.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:56 PM

Had a deer run in front of my 91 F150 and the hit took out the grille and left headlight, put a dent in the left fender and the door. Insurance wrote me a check for $1500. I went to the salvage yard and paid $100 for a grille and headlight assembly, used a plunger to pull the dents and spent most of the rest on Christmas. (Truck was paid off, no lien holder to appease)
Old 08-12-2020, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnawing View Post
Had a deer run in front of my 91 F150 and the hit took out the grille and left headlight, put a dent in the left fender and the door. Insurance wrote me a check for $1500. I went to the salvage yard and paid $100 for a grille and headlight assembly, used a plunger to pull the dents and spent most of the rest on Christmas. (Truck was paid off, no lien holder to appease)
Yes and that’s because it was your claim and your insurance
I would have done the same on a 29 year old vehicle.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 08-12-2020, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Yes and that’s because it was your claim and your insurance
I would have done the same on a 29 year old vehicle.

At the time, it was only 12 years old. But, the thought is the same.
Old 08-12-2020, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Insurance companies never did that. Instead of the plaintiff filing a claim with their insurance, they simply tell the person whose car is damaged to provide them with an estimate in writing and they will pay the amount out of their own pocket.
That can be risky business because the person who accepts such an approach has no further recourse. In our case we are getting a rental car at no charge to us to use while ours is being fixed... courtesy of their insurance.

If the car is financed and there is still a lien against the title, the insurance company is required to pay the shop doing the repair. If there is no lien holder, the payment can be made directly to the policy holder or to the shop, if that is the insuree’s request.
Old 08-12-2020, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnawing View Post
If the car is financed and there is still a lien against the title, the insurance company is required to pay the shop doing the repair. If there is no lien holder, the payment can be made directly to the policy holder or to the shop, if that is the insuree’s request.
True for her cars damages, but they are paying for my car’s repairs. Their insurance would not pay me directly.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic