The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-07-2020, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Seems no-one wants money at present.
Is there a parallel in the USA? Canada? Australia?
Yeah, money's cheap. Interest rates are at historic lows. I wish someone would take that into account and buy my house that's on the market.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 08-08-2020, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCougar View Post
Yeah, money's cheap. Interest rates are at historic lows. I wish someone would take that into account and buy my house that's on the market.
Here, houses are going so fast (at all prices)you would think we lived in paradise. We live in a nice neighborhood with prices in the $225 to $275K range. Nothing offered for sale has remained on the market for more than a week and some sold in a day or two. Where I live is a small midwestern town with nothing extraordinary going on. Maybe that’s why.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 08-08-2020, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Here, houses are going so fast (at all prices)you would think we lived in paradise. We live in a nice neighborhood with prices in the $225 to $275K range. Nothing offered for sale has remained on the market for more than a week and some sold in a day or two. Where I live is a small midwestern town with nothing extraordinary going on. Maybe that’s why.
Suburban DC...same deal here, even houses with ridiculous price tags. I get the feeling people are taking advantage of low rates to exit the city.
Old 08-08-2020, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
Suburban DC...same deal here, even houses with ridiculous price tags. I get the feeling people are taking advantage of low rates to exit the city.
I get the feeling you are correct. City living has become unbearable in many instances and for a wealth of reasons we cannot discuss on the forum. Personally, I wouldn’t live in any large city but then I’m old and cynical.
‘Nuff said.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 08-08-2020, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I get the feeling you are correct. City living has become unbearable in many instances and for a wealth of reasons we cannot discuss on the forum. Personally, I wouldn’t live in any large city but then I’m old and cynical.
‘Nuff said.
Where we are people are moving to the city and I don't think there's anything controversial about discussing it. I know overall people move to or towards cities but same here where we are un upper Midwest. There are two clear patterns in my area. Work opportunity is a major factor but so is many realizing how bad sprawl is. Realizing the quality of life and even health issues with commute time.

More scary than any crime is all the recent listings within a few blocks of us have been just under $500,000 - near $600,000 and that's a lot of money for upper Midwest USA. There's a clear trend where some know crime is similar in the region and commuting is horrible. What you get for a $8000+ property tax bill is way more luxurious, good for the soul or first class than what the airlines or car dealers offer. Way old fashioned neighborly is part of why people move here instead of out.

The only down side that really stands out for being inside the ring that defines our metro area is we have two stall garage where the McMansions in Sprawlsville would have 3. The houses with real wood and stone plus mature yards need more care.
Old 08-08-2020, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Wow... 13.75%. That was a 30-year treasury bond. The bills have shorter durations. That's excellent timing... they topped out in that era around 14.5%, so you were sitting pretty for years and smiling all the way to the bank.
My girlfriend at the time (1985) convinced me to buy Canada Savings Bonds. The interest rate was 17%. Years later when I cashed it in at maturity the tellers jaw dropped at what I was getting.

But there is a down side to high interest rates. I went to New Zealand in 1986 to photograph Comet Halley. Talking to people there the interest rate of 22% (!!!!) had different effects. Older people who thought of investments were happy, but business people were bad hurt. Most businesses need some borrowing to function. That 22% was killing them.

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)
Old 08-08-2020, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumei View Post
But there is a down side to high interest rates. I went to New Zealand in 1986 to photograph Comet Halley. Talking to people there the interest rate of 22% (!!!!) had different effects. Older people who thought of investments were happy, but business people were bad hurt. Most businesses need some borrowing to function. That 22% was killing them.
Absolutely. There is an undeniable relationship between interest rates and inflation. There is a little good and a little bad in both.
Old 08-08-2020, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
Where we are people are moving to the city and I don't think there's anything controversial about discussing it. I know overall people move to or towards cities but same here where we are un upper Midwest. There are two clear patterns in my area. Work opportunity is a major factor but so is many realizing how bad sprawl is. Realizing the quality of life and even health issues with commute time.

More scary than any crime is all the recent listings within a few blocks of us have been just under $500,000 - near $600,000 and that's a lot of money for upper Midwest USA. There's a clear trend where some know crime is similar in the region and commuting is horrible. What you get for a $8000+ property tax bill is way more luxurious, good for the soul or first class than what the airlines or car dealers offer. Way old fashioned neighborly is part of why people move here instead of out.

The only down side that really stands out for being inside the ring that defines our metro area is we have two stall garage where the McMansions in Sprawlsville would have 3. The houses with real wood and stone plus mature yards need more care.
It would be interesting to know what city you are referring to.
I don’t think too many people are moving to Detroit...could be wrong.
Where we are, we can partake of five good-sized cities benefits and get there in an hour or less. We don’t live in a sprawl.
Some of those folks can’t get into their city jobs from the sprawl any faster than we can from the hinterland because of traffic.
We are minutes from the Interstate and once you’re on that ...zoom,zoom!

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 08-08-2020, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumei View Post
But there is a down side to high interest rates.
Very true. In the late seventies and early eighties it helped me allot. I was working under a contract that was created when no one imagined inflation. So raises where connected to inflation and they kept going up and up. My house payment and my car payment didn't, so we got ahead on things. I had a FHA loan on my house at a fair interest rate and made a deal with a realter where he took over the loan so that he could sell the house on contract and charge higher interest. I got his services of buying and selling house free. There are opportunities in the cracks. I can't find any in todays circumstances though.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic