The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-22-2020, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Neil, what do you think about the Pittsburgh Blue Jays? Looks like the Jays will play their home games at PNC park ... pending government approval.
It would have been nice to have a baseball team in Pittsburgh to root for since I am no longer a Pirates fan. Now the only time I'll get to root against the cardinals is by watching real blue jays bully them away from the bird feeder in my back yard.

Quote:
The state of Pennsylvania has rejected this. So, Blue Jays still looking for a home. There was also talk of Baltimore, Buffalo (AAA affiliate) and Dunedan FL (spring training facility).
IIRC they rejected Buffalo because the facility was not up to standards. Wasn't the Florida facility where the COVID outbreak was?

Anyway, to me this is but the first shoe to drop on the MLB season. If a stadium can't have two home teams then doesn't that pretty much preclude the idea of other teams traveling to Pittsburgh to play the Pirates too? If so, then by that logic there can be no games in Philadelphia either.
Old 07-23-2020, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
It would have been nice to have a baseball team in Pittsburgh to root for since I am no longer a Pirates fan. Now the only time I'll get to root against the cardinals is by watching real blue jays bully them away from the bird feeder in my back yard.

IIRC they rejected Buffalo because the facility was not up to standards. Wasn't the Florida facility where the COVID outbreak was?

Anyway, to me this is but the first shoe to drop on the MLB season. If a stadium can't have two home teams then doesn't that pretty much preclude the idea of other teams traveling to Pittsburgh to play the Pirates too? If so, then by that logic there can be no games in Philadelphia either.
Hey Neil, Toronto doesn't want to play in Buffalo because the stadium isn't up to MLB standards (locker rooms / weight rooms / etc). They don't want to play in FL due to covid is rampant there. There was speak of Baltimore a few days ago ... we'll see where that goes.

Opening Day Today!
Old 07-23-2020, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

I'm a die-hard Cardinal fan. Doesn't matter if they win a hundred or lose a hundred... I'm still a fan. But I was really glad to see Mike Matheny land on his feet down I-70 in Kansas City. I can't say I'll be a Royals fan... I still remember the 1985 Denkinger Series... but I'll watch with interest and wish them well. I always thought Matheny was a class act as a catcher and he did a good job for 6 seasons as a manager. I think he's the kind of guy who helps an organization in a lot of ways and I hate that he's no longer in St. Louis. I don't know if there are any Royals fans here, but I think you've got a good man at the helm.
Old 07-23-2020, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Hey Neil, Toronto doesn't want to play in Buffalo because the stadium isn't up to MLB standards (locker rooms / weight rooms / etc). They don't want to play in FL due to covid is rampant there. There was speak of Baltimore a few days ago ... we'll see where that goes.

Opening Day Today!
It all depends on Maryland’s governor.

Btw, it’s ironic that the Penguins are going to Toronto yet the Blue Jays can’t come here.
Old 07-23-2020, 07:08 PM

Well its baseball and its something to watch on TV. But its not a real season and any "championship" will be an asterisked hollow achievement. Just entertainment.
Old 07-23-2020, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
I'm a die-hard Cardinal fan. Doesn't matter if they win a hundred or lose a hundred... I'm still a fan. But I was really glad to see Mike Matheny land on his feet down I-70 in Kansas City. I can't say I'll be a Royals fan... I still remember the 1985 Denkinger Series... but I'll watch with interest and wish them well. I always thought Matheny was a class act as a catcher and he did a good job for 6 seasons as a manager. I think he's the kind of guy who helps an organization in a lot of ways and I hate that he's no longer in St. Louis. I don't know if there are any Royals fans here, but I think you've got a good man at the helm.
Cards fan here too, down in Atlanta now, have stuck with T-Mobile for years because they give free MLB pass each year so I can watch the games!
Old 07-23-2020, 07:25 PM

Dudy Noble Field, home of the Mississippi State University Bulldogs in Starkville, MS would gladly take the Blue Jays. It seats over 13,000 and is probably nicer than any minor league park out there.

Old 07-23-2020, 07:29 PM

I was really looking forward to having baseball back, but not happy with MLB deciding to make non baseball related statements today. Sports should be entertainment and an escape.
Old 07-23-2020, 07:29 PM

Quote:

Neil: You cannot root against the Cardinals. Just simply not allowed
Old 07-23-2020, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDB View Post
Neil: You cannot root against the Cardinals. Just simply not allowed
Actually I’m obliged to given that they are divisional rivals to my home town team - who unfortunately cannot deliver. If it’s any consolation I expect the Pirates to lose the season opener.
Old 07-24-2020, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Blue Jays still looking for a home.
Fort Albany, Ontario.

Other team doesn't show up, Jays win by default. UNDEFEATED WORLD CHAMPIONS!
Old 07-24-2020, 01:56 PM

Quote:
It all depends on Maryland’s governor.

Btw, it’s ironic that the Penguins are going to Toronto yet the Blue Jays can’t come here.
The NHL was allowed in Canada because players are not traveling and will live in a bubble. With MLB, every team, including the Blue Jays, will be traveling throughout the season from the US.
Old 07-25-2020, 01:38 PM

Red Sox win game 1! I only saw one ranking and they are projected to finish 20th in the majors this year. Probably been a while since they were ranked that low.
Old 07-25-2020, 03:14 PM

I'm glad baseball's back, but not having people in the stands really does have an affect on watching the game to me.
Old 07-25-2020, 04:01 PM

I’m done with all major sports with the exception of golf.

Scott

Last edited by Kerbie; 07-25-2020 at 05:13 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic