The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-14-2020, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinGibsonFan View Post
After watching that longer version of Jackie Stewart's interview with Senna, I'm not surprised Senna is no longer living.

All those incidents (collisions) Jackie asked Senna about, perfectly reasonable answers for a very aggressive, competitive, take risk driver such as Senna.

I haven't reviewed how Senna died on the track (I believe he just spun out with no other incidental contact, but I could be wrong).

These types of drivers are good and win races, but that opening that race car drivers see when they want to pass is key.

Senna seemed to be too aggressive to last long on the Formula I circuit, totally in my opinion.
Senna's fatal crash has been investigated ad-infinitum and no conclusions have been made that explains all the evidence. But best guess is his steering shaft broke. He was entering a 195mph sweeping left hand turn, that is typically/always taken full-throttle. Still images of the video show that he wasn't steering into it. He didn't spin, he just didn't steer (nearly enough). Why? Passed out? Broken steering shaft? No one really knows.

Every race driver is a risk-taker, but relative to many other race drivers, Senna was a bigger risk-taker. Watching him, it's insane he was able to pull it off at all. But yet he did - and yet the wreck that took him out wasn't on account of risky behavior above and beyond what "normal" race drivers normally do. Crazy world.

And while I'm still up on my soapbox - It's a crying shame the fans didn't get to see the epic rivalry that surely would have been Senna vs. Schumaker!
Old 07-14-2020, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinGibsonFan View Post
I haven't reviewed how Senna died on the track (I believe he just spun out with no other incidental contact, but I could be wrong).

J
Sadly, I watched it as it happened. He went straight into the barrier, no spinning involved.
Old 07-14-2020, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
...I love Senna (next dog's name)...
I take it you've read his book? It's been a long time since I have, but I learned a lot from him.
Old 07-15-2020, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
Sadly, I watched it as it happened. He went straight into the barrier, no spinning involved.
Frank Williams was under investigation for a considerable period afterward due to the theory that it was a parts failure that caused the crash.
Old 07-15-2020, 04:09 PM

I watched the second race last night. Both were good races, in their own way. (I have an on-demand streaming package for F1, but can't watch the race unto two days afterward. Not hard to avoid F1 results here in the US. The live feed isn't worth it here on the Left Coast, given that most of the races are in Europe or Asia, and so would be live in the middle of the night.)

Mercedes looks pretty dominate, particularly Hamilton. Red Bull is at bit off the pace at this point, but has a very talented driver in Verstappen, so we shall see what develops. The scrap for "Best of the Rest" looks to be very entertaining.
Old 07-15-2020, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Frank Williams was under investigation for a considerable period afterward due to the theory that it was a parts failure that caused the crash.
What I recall was a questionable weld in the steering column. Never did learn of a final assessment, that I recall.

I thought both races were great in their own ways. Hope to see more exciting racing this season.
Old 07-19-2020, 03:11 PM

Relatively boring race in Hungary this morning.
Old 07-19-2020, 03:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
Relatively boring race in Hungary this morning.
Really? lots os weather changes, lots of pitstops and tyre changes

Apart from Hamilton racing by himself, the rest was fun. Max did great to hold off Bottas, and Vettel actually raced a bit.

I enjoyed it.
Old 07-19-2020, 05:24 PM

What’s the story with Ferrari? They finished so strong last year, and this year they’re very weak.
Old 07-19-2020, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
What’s the story with Ferrari? They finished so strong last year, and this year they’re very weak.
Racing Point have copied last years Merc and it looks like Ferrari have copied last years Williams.
Old 07-19-2020, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silurian View Post
Racing Point have copied last years Merc and it looks like Ferrari have copied last years Williams.
yup, pretty much, but they donly "officially" get the plans (yeah right).

Actually all the cards a re thrown into the air at the season,as they refine designs from previous years. soe times you win - sometimes you lose!

Next year the cars will be completely different so another dynamic could come in with Williams beating Mercedes hands now - wow - look a flying pig!
Old 07-20-2020, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
The FIA investigated 'irregularities' into why last year's Ferrari engine was so powerful but their findings have not been, and will not be released. The result, however, is that Ferrari face no penalty but are not allowed to use that engine again.

YouTube
Old 07-22-2020, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
yup, pretty much, but they donly "officially" get the plans (yeah right).

Actually all the cards a re thrown into the air at the season,as they refine designs from previous years. soe times you win - sometimes you lose!

Next year the cars will be completely different so another dynamic could come in with Williams beating Mercedes hands now - wow - look a flying pig!
Actually not. The FIA has decreed that the teams will be using this year's cars and designs (with some upgrade potential) next year, as a cost saving measure due to the pandemic. It will be interesting to see how the various teams are able to refine their designs over a two season span.
Old 07-22-2020, 04:29 PM

I watched the Hungarian GP last night. Another good race, I thought, with a fair amount of wheel to wheel dicing between drivers back in the pack. I remember when I use to be into F1 back in the late 80s and 90s when I thought that Hungary was the worst race of the season because of a total lack of passing. Nice to see that things have changed.

Starting to look like a two driver race for the championship. Sort of like the season when Nigel Mansell finally won his gong in a Williams-Renault and his only real competition was Riccardo Patrese in the other Williams.

Looks to be a good season.
Old 07-23-2020, 09:31 AM

Would be fun to put them each in their own Mercedes and see who the best driver was.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic