The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 05:59 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default The ribs are ready (get the sauce)

OK, the ribs are all glued up with the blocks, bevel blocks, and kerfing strips.
These laminated sides are kind of amazing to work with. Usually, I am quite careful about not cracking the sides before they are all glued into the rib structure. But these things are very tough, and very rigid. Its a lot of work to get them laminated, but there are some obvious benefits right off the bat. Also, I won't need to install side braces, and the soundport is already reinforced, so all that is already done.

The blocks are Honduras mahogany, the bevel blocks and kerfing strips are Spanish cedar. These strips I made here in the shop. Here are the bevel blocks:

bevel shrimp 2.jpg

I've done quite a lot of bevels, and I love them. I've learned that they don't need to be big, grotesque chamfers to create the comfort that you want from a bevel. In general, I find most elements on a guitar can be reduced surprisingly, and still deliver. And I find that understatement always elegant looking, too. It was only a couple of bevels ago that it occurred to me to kerf the bevel blocks. Before, I would struggle and fight to get a perfect fit. Then, DUH, it occurred to me they could be slotted, and that flexibility would make them easy to fit, and provide perfect contact. So here:

ready to kerf 2.jpg

With the kerfing in, and all faired in to meet the blocks, I think it looks pretty cool. I especially like that racing stripe of the maple between the rosewoods.

whole kerfed.jpg

detail kerf.jpg

cutaway.jpg
Old 02-13-2019, 06:45 PM
AGF Sponsor

That looks very cool Ben. Love the tidy look inside and the white racing stripe.
Pretty work!
Old 02-13-2019, 09:27 PM
AGF Sponsor

That looks very cool Ben. Love the tidy look inside and the white racing stripe.
Pretty work!
Old 02-14-2019, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

Smile Bevels Rock

I love big bevels and I cannot lie…

Bevels and ports! Man they make the players experience nicer. Glad to see some here! The lucky owner will be thrilled.

CU at B.I.G.

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 02-14-2019, 11:30 AM

As I think about the "rotated location" of the bridge on the top, and the corresponding location of the bridge plate, it makes me wonder if that is why your Frientor Sexauer sometimes uses an asymmetric lower bout(rotating the x-braces a bit). Perhaps you know this answer, since you have a Frientor not too far away(at least your on the same side of the Mississippi). I don't know why I think about such things. But it suddenly seems an asymmetric bout makes more sense than I had considered.
That lack of symmetry bothered my rigidity, but I think I can see a justification today.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:13 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird View Post
Pretty work!
Thank you! Too bad it will be hidden for ever. But actually, where I cut the soundport, it will be seen, so I guess it's worth it.....
Old 02-14-2019, 01:19 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
I love big bevels and I cannot lie…

Bevels and ports! Man they make the players experience nicer. Glad to see some here! The lucky owner will be thrilled.

CU at B.I.G.

I could not agree more. Especially the port- there is no bigger bang-for-your-buck feature. It completely changes the player's experience for the better. That's why they come stock on my guitars!

See you in Texas!

Paul
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgr40 View Post
As I think about the "rotated location" of the bridge on the top, and the corresponding location of the bridge plate, it makes me wonder if that is why your Frientor Sexauer sometimes uses an asymmetric lower bout(rotating the x-braces a bit). Perhaps you know this answer, since you have a Frientor not too far away(at least your on the same side of the Mississippi). I don't know why I think about such things. But it suddenly seems an asymmetric bout makes more sense than I had considered.
That lack of symmetry bothered my rigidity, but I think I can see a justification today.
Yeah, I am still stuck in symmetry land myself. This guitar has an asymmetric headstock, though, and bridge location so perhaps I am moving in that direction. Aesthetically, I like a mostly symmetry, with a little asymmetry for spice. I can see why Bruce rotates the whole shebang, though.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:35 PM
Music soothes the soul!

I think that may be the coolest looking insides I have seen!
Old 02-14-2019, 04:39 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
I think that may be the coolest looking insides I have seen!
Thank you! I hate to cover it up. Maybe Dale will settle for a plexiglass top instead of adirondack....
Old 02-14-2019, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilbornGuitars View Post
Yeah, I am still stuck in symmetry land myself. This guitar has an asymmetric headstock, though, and bridge location so perhaps I am moving in that direction. Aesthetically, I like a mostly symmetry, with a little asymmetry for spice. I can see why Bruce rotates the whole shebang, though.
I look at symmetry as being balanced, not rigidly exactly the same from one side or the other. Feel/see the balance!!
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 02-14-2019, 05:25 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandit75 View Post
I look at symmetry as being balanced, not rigidly exactly the same from one side or the other. Feel/see the balance!!
Ultimately it's all about the feel. Without that, you have nothing. Even great tone won't make me play a guitar that feels bad!
Old 02-14-2019, 06:47 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Ultimately it's all about the feel. Without that, you have nothing. Even great tone won't make me play a guitar that feels bad!
Yet, great feel, void of great sound...a conundrum does one have.

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 02-14-2019, 07:18 PM
AGF Sponsor

Ben, I'm really looking forward to seeing you and your gorgeous instruments next month. I've been admiring your work from afar for some time now, and look forward to experiencing your guitar vibe in person. Keep up the great work, and see you in a few weeks! -Steve
Old 02-15-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Thank you! I hate to cover it up. Maybe Dale will settle for a plexiglass top instead of adirondack....
Or the one sided post and beam constructed parts guitar!!!!
Old 02-15-2019, 04:50 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Teel View Post
Yet, great feel, void of great sound...a conundrum does one have.
Of course- I was being silly. But you know what I mean. That feel, that buttery feel, of a well set up guitar is delicious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
Ben, I'm really looking forward to seeing you and your gorgeous instruments next month. I've been admiring your work from afar for some time now, and look forward to experiencing your guitar vibe in person. Keep up the great work, and see you in a few weeks! -Steve
Thanks so much. B.I.G. is going to be a blast! I'll have a couple of juicy specimens with me....
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
brazilian rosewood, brazilian/adirondack, dreadnaught, wilborn guitars