The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-07-2020, 07:07 AM

Default rules on selling?

Is there a rule that forbids selling guitars that cost under $2K in the for sales? Guitars that a 'normal guy' could afford. Cause it sure seems like all that ever gets listed are the mega-bucks models! Just sayin.
Old 08-07-2020, 07:08 AM

I usually post my cheaper stuff on Reverb since it tends to go quicker over there. Plus when I have multiple instruments for sale and don't want to clog the classifieds up with 15 threads, I'll post the nicer ones here and leave the rest for Reverb.
Old 08-07-2020, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
Is there a rule that forbids selling guitars that cost under $2K in the for sales? Guitars that a 'normal guy' could afford. Cause it sure seems like all that ever gets listed are the mega-bucks models! Just sayin.
No, there is no such rule. Here are the Classified rules.
Old 08-07-2020, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

There are currently 8 guitars listed for less than 2000 dollars on page one of the classified section .....still the majority of the listings are for higher end guitars that are priced higher...and for the record plenty of “normal” people buy and sell spendy guitars
Old 08-07-2020, 08:58 AM

Like many things, I imagine this goes through phases. It does seem like there are lots of high value guitars getting posted on the AGF classifieds recently. But I recall times in the past when it seemed to me that most of the guitars were priced between $1200 - $1800, along with a reasonable dose of guitars below $800.
Old 08-07-2020, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

As one who has sold a couple of guitars through our Classified section, one issue is the economics of selling used guitars by individuals to buyers who are savvy about guitar pricing combined with costs incurred in long distance selling. That's a round-about way of saying that a seller wants to cover costs and a buyer wants the best price possible knowing how much a new one costs. Some dealers and the big online platforms are now adding state sales tax to purchases but generally provide free shipping. If I as an individual want to sell a guitar, I have to figure in the cost of money exchange (PayPal fees) and shipping which figure into the equation when you're talking about a guitar that was acquired for, let's say, $1000. If you're talking about a guitar that sold for $500, it becomes kind of difficult for the buyer to get a good deal and for the seller to get close to his money back...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 08-07-2020, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts67 View Post
I usually post my cheaper stuff on Reverb since it tends to go quicker over there.
This has been my experience too. The guitars I've sold under about 1500 sell much faster on Reverb. I have listed them in both places.
Old 08-08-2020, 06:10 AM

The demographic of “active” members on this forum is such that most of the guitars owned are of the higher-priced sort.
There’s your answer.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 08-08-2020, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
This has been my experience too. The guitars I've sold under about 1500 sell much faster on Reverb. I have listed them in both places.
Generally that’s likely the case...depends on the guitar though.
I’ll bet if I offered my D18 for $1500 (a fair price for a used one in great condition) on here it would be gone in a heartbeat.
In fact, I know that to be the case.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 08-08-2020, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
Well price must be listed is a rule AND
Just checked out of the first 10 guitars listed, 5 of them are 2k or under

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 08-08-2020, 06:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Generally that’s likely the case...depends on the guitar though.
I’ll bet if I offered my D18 for $1500 (a fair price for a used one in great condition) on here it would be gone in a heartbeat.
In fact, I know that to be the case.
No doubt about that! You could probably list it for 1800 on reverb and have it gone in 30 minutes. I almost never see used D18's listed much below what they cost new from forum sponsors. Even here where people understand pricing.
Old 08-13-2020, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

I just sold two nice guitars on the AGF. Both were in the upper $2k range. Both sold in two days.

The best part about selling here is that the inquiries and offers I received were from knowledgeable guys who knew that my prices were reasonable, so no low-ballers. And they asked pertinent questions about each guitar. And they were all nice people, I enjoyed chatting with them. And both guitars went on to a good home, which makes me happy.

You can't beat selling in the AGF Classifieds, be it a $250 guitar or $6k.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic