The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-23-2015, 06:29 AM

You are over thinking it. Many of your questions will not be answered til you have put some guitars in your hands, and then later, when you've played for a while.

Being in HK, there ail be brands others suggested you just don't have access to, or can afford. People posting easily forget that US guitars, or those sold there are often 2X the cost elsewhere

Ignore brands. Go to a store and try guitars. Buy what fits your budget that you like the feel, look and sound of.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:53 AM

Carolove, Blueridge makes some good guitars at a reasonable price. They are made in China. Purhaps you could try some of them if they are available in your area. They make a number of different models in a 000 size that would be great for fingerstyle. Good luck, I hope you find something that works for you.

2013 Martin D-17M
2013 Alvarez AP860SB
2015 Seagull Entourage Mini-Jumbo
Old 02-23-2015, 09:38 PM

Carol, you are not being silly or superficial for wanting a guitar that looks as well as sounds good to you. Of course you do not want to choose a guitar based on looks alone, but if honest, I think most people here do have preferences about appearance. If at all possible, you really do need to be able to play guitars you are thinking of purchasing, or at least similar guitars. Do you have any friends who play guitar? You say you had a guitar before. Did you like its size? Was the neck comfortable for your hands? These things can guide you in your choice of a new guitar. You can also listen to clips of many guitars on Youtube. This is no substitute for playing them yourself, but it does sound like your options for that are severely limited. If you absolutely cannot try out a guitar you want to buy, at least buy it, if at all possible, from a store than has a return policy for a certain period of time, for any reason, not just if there is a defect. I agree with all who have said, whatever you do, make sure the top is solid wood. While you can find guitars in this price range with a cutaway, it will be a limiting factor, and as a beginner, you're not going to be playing that high on the neck for quite a while. You may have to decide if this is a deal breaker or not. It sounds like you live in an area that really limits your choices when it comes to finding a guitar that is right for you. I wish you the best of luck. Welcome to the AGF.

2015 Taylor 512ce 12 fret
early 80's Ovation Ultra 1517
2011 Seagull Entourage Rustic
2011 Taylor Limited NS214ce
2010 Taylor 512c
2016 Ibanez AG75
2014 Taylor GS Mini Koa e
2018 Loar LH 301t
1998 Breedlove Fall Limited # 10 of 20 Redwood/Walnut
Old 02-24-2015, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaleblue View Post
The Taylor 1 and 2 series (114, 214 etc.) *ARE* solid tops (The back/sides are laminates but the tops are definitely solid.)
Really!! I am so sorry><! I will definitely think about it. Thanks you!
Old 02-24-2015, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfflyer55 View Post
Here is a link to a great beginner guitar. Breedlove makes many lines of guitars, one for every level player and price point. The link is for a cutaway concert body with solid top/3 ply back and sides and is a good combination for warmth and clarity. Retails for around $400.00 US.

Good luck in your pursuit!
Thank you! They are very nice! Sad that it is not available in HK
Old 02-24-2015, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fceltia63 View Post
Seagull Performer PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!
Haha, it seems that you have one and you really like it! XD
Old 02-24-2015, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drubbing View Post
You are over thinking it. Many of your questions will not be answered til you have put some guitars in your hands, and then later, when you've played for a while. Ignore brands. Go to a store and try guitars. Buy what fits your budget that you like the feel, look and sound of.
Haha, you are right! and I have gone to store and play some guitar. The problem is (and I know I am superficial) the guitar which I like the look does not deliver a nice sound, or the guitar which has great tone does not have the look I like. This is why I go online and start searching for guitar. I do not think I am a brand name person. haha. If I do, I will buy taylor now when they are having a discount because of the lunar new year. I want to buy something good and is worthy of the money. Also, I have tried other models from S&P and Seagull and I think NE from S&P and Seagull should feel similar.

Quote:
Being in HK, there ail be brands others suggested you just don't have access to, or can afford. People posting easily forget that US guitars, or those sold there are often 2X the cost elsewhere
Right, there are many brans that I cannot have access to. HK is such a small city and does not value music much. Sigh...
Old 02-24-2015, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolove View Post
Haha, you are right! and I have gone to store and play some guitar. The problem is (and I know I am superficial) the guitar which I like the look does not deliver a nice sound, or the guitar which has great tone does not have the look I like. This is why I go online and start searching for guitar.
Then you simply can't buy online - you will go on what takes your eye, and there is no guarantee you'll like how it sounds. Forum opinions cannot help you with that.

I'm afraid you have to do it the hard way. Stores and patience.

Try being left-handed like me. I'm lucky to see two guitars in any store, even then they're usually well out of my budget.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balerman View Post
Carolove, Blueridge makes some good guitars at a reasonable price. They are made in China. Purhaps you could try some of them if they are available in your area. They make a number of different models in a 000 size that would be great for fingerstyle. Good luck, I hope you find something that works for you.
Oh! It is a brand which I have not yet heard of! And I just check if the brand is represented by the local store, it turns out they are not on the list. Sadly, I cannot buy them in HK. But thanks anyway!!
Old 02-24-2015, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanray1113 View Post
Carol, you are not being silly or superficial for wanting a guitar that looks as well as sounds good to you. Of course you do not want to choose a guitar based on looks alone, but if honest, I think most people here do have preferences about appearance.
Thank you>< I have been challenged a lot in other forum and they think I should not bother with the look and should be more focus on the sound quality of the guitar. I mean I want the looks and the sound. I do not want a guitar which has a great sound but a look I dun like. And I do not want a guitar has good look with low-quality sound as well. I just cannot give up any of them. Thank you for understanding!!

Quote:
If at all possible, you really do need to be able to play guitars you are thinking of purchasing, or at least similar guitars. Do you have any friends who play guitar?
I do agree! So I went to try other models of Seagull and S&P that my local store has on display. After trying, I think Seagull is more comfortable for me and I dun know why. The nut width of Seagull is wider than S&P and I dun understand why Seagull feel more comfortable, haha. And I am thinking of buying Seagull NE now. XD

Quote:
You say you had a guitar before. Did you like its size? Was the neck comfortable for your hands? These things can guide you in your choice of a new guitar.
The previous guitar has a relatively high action. After studying a lots in the internet, I know what is action now and I know it is why I always feel it is easier for me to play the guitar in the store than the guitar I used to own. The action between the guitars in the store is different from the guitar I owned. And yes! You are right these thing can guide me in choosing a new guitar! I check the action of the guitar and the feeling of neck when i am trying guitar now^^.

Quote:
You can also listen to clips of many guitars on Youtube. This is no substitute for playing them yourself, but it does sound like your options for that are severely limited.
YesYes! And I have listened to all youtube demo on Seagull NE, haha, all of them.

Quote:
If you absolutely cannot try out a guitar you want to buy, at least buy it, if at all possible, from a store than has a return policy for a certain period of time, for any reason, not just if there is a defect.
Sigh, I check with the store and they said it is not possible that I return the guitar for reasons other than finding a defect in guitar. Since I need to pay a deposit first to order a guitar, if it turns out that I do not want the guitar I ordered, the deposit will be forfeited, or I can use the deposit to buy any guitar that is available at that moment.

Quote:
I agree with all who have said, whatever you do, make sure the top is solid wood.
Yes!!

Quote:
While you can find guitars in this price range with a cutaway, it will be a limiting factor, and as a beginner, you're not going to be playing that high on the neck for quite a while. You may have to decide if this is a deal breaker or not.
I know it is not necessary for me to have a guitar with a cutaway, but I know I can only have 1 guitar and I want it to have cutaway. It is for the long time sake, haha.

Quote:
It sounds like you live in an area that really limits your choices when it comes to finding a guitar that is right for you. I wish you the best of luck. Welcome to the AGF.
Yea, it is HK, sigh.. And Thank you for the blessings^^
Old 02-24-2015, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drubbing View Post
Then you simply can't buy online - you will go on what takes your eye, and there is no guarantee you'll like how it sounds. Forum opinions cannot help you with that.
But I can try similar guitar from same brand. I think it is similar to what I want to buy.XD And I have done a lots of research on guitars, in forum and other website and asking salesmen in local store. XD

Quote:
I'm afraid you have to do it the hard way. Stores and patience.
Do you mean I should go to more stores and try more? There are only two companies in my area which sells guitars. Only one represents Seagull and S&P. They won't have Natural elements on display. I also tried all other guitar in the shore and I cannot find a guitar I really like. Sad.

Quote:
Try being left-handed like me. I'm lucky to see two guitars in any store, even then they're usually well out of my budget.
I know it is difficult for left-handed people to buy guitar! I am sorry><. And although the local store do not have the guitar I wanted, they often have three left handed guitars on display for people to try it. How do you buy guitar then? You cannot try the guitar like me as well><

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
guitar, natural element, seagull, simon & patrick, takamine