The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-01-2020, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxHound4690 View Post
This may be an interesting discussion since everyone's hearing is different (that and the fact that we all use different strings), but when you put a new set of strings on how long do you feel they last before they start to sound dull and tone dead?

1 week, 1 month, 3 months, six months etc.???
I might be pithy - but I'd say I can hear strings start to sound dull after about a week.

I don't necessarily change them then, but I hear it.

I generally use a variety of Martin Acoustic stings.

I play about 30 minutes most days and once a week or so I get in a session for an hour or two. I don't gig at all. But I hear the dullness quickly.

I probably give in and change strings once a month or so. I bounce between 4 guitars mostly too.
Martin HD12-28 Custom 2019
Takamine Sante Fe 1990
Fender Stratocaster
Fender Telecaster
Old 07-01-2020, 03:58 PM

For PB’s or Bronze, around a month. That is unless my grandson plays one of my guitars. The chemicals he secretes out of those 19 year old fingers will destroy those types of strings pretty much instantly.
I had a set of 80-20’s on my J15 that we’re about two weeks old and they were fine. He played it and they were gone the next day.
Monels or Nickel- plated steels will last for months.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 07-01-2020, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

I use treated/coated (I don't know what) strings so generally found that somewhere around 3 months I actually notice a fall off. I usually stretch it to 4 months, but then I'm always amazed how I've worn completely through the winding on the fret side of the G string in probably the first 5 frets, and a few on the D string. This round, as I had nothing better to do, I changed right around 3 months, and it's not as bad. Might have to spend a little more money...
Old 07-01-2020, 04:20 PM

I'm bad, I let my strings go a little to long before changing them. So would not be a good one to ask
Old 07-01-2020, 04:49 PM
Charter Member

The worst strings after a week or ~ 15 hours of play. The best have lasted months, I guess ~100 hours of play (but don’t really know).
Old 07-01-2020, 08:21 PM

I use EJ16s for the most part. I put a new set on a few days before a gig to work them in. They're usually done by the end of the gig because of sweat.

For my non-gigging guitars, 2-3 months if I keep rotating.

Monels last forever.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:17 PM

D’Addario PB. Three months max. But INMHO the best strings available.
Use them on my guitars, resonator, and Banjo

Blues
Old 07-02-2020, 06:14 AM

PBs usually last 6-8 weeks at the most.

I just finished trying a set of Retros and they were on almost six months.

I liked the Retros but I think I like the PBs more.

Usually I change strings when the B string starts sounding off. That is the first thing I notice, not sure why.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:04 AM
Guitar Gourmet

On acoustics, Elixers can last months with me. I've got a 12 string that has had its on for a couple of years. On electrics, I used to change out nickel-plated steel strings every gig. As I've matured I've come to think that may have been too quickly. I learned how to set my pickups for a more balanced sound that also isn't so dependent on string age. These days I've played an eight-hour session and turned around and played another session the next day on the same strings. Of course, my body chemistry has changed as well so that may be a factor.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-03-2020, 12:41 AM

Default How long for you until your strings start to sound dull?

I am sure I don’t put in the hours of play like most of you do so I can go a long time on a set of Elixers or D’Adario coated strings.
I got into photography a few years back and my Taylor 414 sat under the bed for years.
I started back last year and had a re-setup Done on my Orpheum and thought it was sounding better than the Taylor. ( this is not a Guild Orpheum, but a Tacoma/Orpheum )
I finally got around to changing the Taylor strings from a five year old set of Elixer to some Santa Cruz. What a change it made in that guitar!
So I am lazy and will keep using coated strings, but I do really appreciate the sound of new strings.
So going forward I still think I will not change more than once a year, which will probably be about 100 hours per guitar.

Last edited by whvick; 07-03-2020 at 09:21 AM.
Old 07-03-2020, 01:27 AM

6 months to a year playing an average of an hour a day with guitars always out in open air rack. Santa Cruz and EXP phosphor bronze.
Old 07-03-2020, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Not playing so much nowadays - They spend more time in their cases than with me.

Used to be every two months, then three, currently four months for six strings guitars with D'addario uncoated PB strings.

12 strings - 4 months or more.

Dobro & Mandolin - Dunlop uncoated / 4-5 months,

Archtops (various nickels) - more like annually.
I wish you would pull that Collings out of it’s case and post up some new YouTube videos! I have learned quite a bit watching your past clips and I would love to see more about moving those G and C shapes around the neck. Perhaps some good tips on bass note walkups or fill notes before chord changes. You’re a great teacher and the camera loves you!

Chin up sir.
Old 07-03-2020, 09:30 AM

Which should we concentrate on in this discussion? Time on guitar between restringing , or total hours played. I assume hours played has more effect. However, since different people are reporting with vastly different playing habits, I think total hours played may be a better number to look at.
Old 07-03-2020, 12:10 PM

Elixir PB lights they last about six months. Of course I rotate back-and-forth on my guitars which helps.
Old 07-03-2020, 12:17 PM

Smile 3-6 months

My strings last anywhere between 3-6 months. Those guitars that I play less often, sometimes even a year.
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion