The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-01-2020, 05:31 PM
Charter Member

Default Budget copy of 0-18 14 fret?

Is anyone making a budget copy of the 0-18 14 fret (apart from the 0x1e from Martin in hpl). I don't mind about the woods.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 07-02-2020, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

So, it doesn't look like any company is making a Martin 0 size body guitar with the 14 fret neck - except Martin. That's a shame.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 07-02-2020, 07:30 AM

The Guild M240E is in the ballpark in terms of size. 14 fret, but long scale with an arched back. Sigma do some budget Martin copy's as well.
Old 07-02-2020, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
Is anyone making a budget copy of the 0-18 14 fret (apart from the 0x1e from Martin in hpl). I don't mind about the woods.
You can probably find someone locally that will build you something similar.

Here's a complete printable plan for a guitar that would have very similar specifications that I posted a while back. It's easily modifiable for and different specifications such as vertical tuners, different woods, standard bridge, etc.

As far as budget goes, I have about $300 invested, but my labor was free.

I can tell you that I've been playing for 55 years and I'm deeply in love with this guitar.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=579732
Old 07-02-2020, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the info. I've had a look at Guild and Sigma but nothing matches the Martin 0.

Love the SBS - what a great little guitar! But the chances of me making one (or having one made within my budget) are zero I'm afraid.

I'll have to keep looking.

Old 07-02-2020, 04:07 PM
Charter Member

I’ve looked for the same thing in the past and found nothing as well unfortunately. I was also going to wait for the 0X1E to come out but it seems like they’ve had to push that back quite a bit with the factory shutdown, so I ended up getting a 001XAE, which is a budget copy of the 00-18. Something to consider if you don’t mind going up to the 00 body size, it’s a pretty solid guitar for the price.
Old 07-02-2020, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

Thanks, I had an 0x1e delivered yesterday. It has a lovely tone and would work well to sing across. But I'll be sending this one back tomorrow. It has a slight scoop in thr top slightly in front of the bridge on the treble side. There's a reinforcing second layer of HPL stuck in the triangles of the X brace. But on this particular guitar it's not enough to stop the top sagging. It's a pity because the size feel and tone of the guitar are wonderful.

I may end up with a 00 size as more companies seem to be making those. I want something to sing across so a mahogany 00 may work. But an 0 would be my preference.

Old 07-02-2020, 05:46 PM

Farida Guitars, which are available through Elderly Instruments, have 14-fret 0 size guitars in both all solid woods (Farida OT-16) and laminated back and sides Versions (OT-12 and OT-13). Current prices range from $423-$1008.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion