The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-26-2019, 05:43 PM

In your case I would just go out and find a playable but cheap Squire and play around with it for a few months or so, it will then give you a better idea on what you like and dislike before making a decision about sinking bigger money into a guitar.
Old 04-27-2019, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny Tenthumbs View Post
In your case I would just go out and find a playable but cheap Squire and play around with it for a few months or so, it will then give you a better idea on what you like and dislike before making a decision about sinking bigger money into a guitar.

I bought a Yamaha se200 for my son 30 years ago and just rescued it from his closet. Its in the shop right now getting a setup. Its a strat type shape and this will get me started until mid May when I will be able to travel to music stores. I am possibly thinking a Fender Mustang I V-2 amp.
Old 04-27-2019, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airborne1 View Post
I bought a Yamaha se200 for my son 30 years ago and just rescued it from his closet. Its in the shop right now getting a setup. Its a strat type shape and this will get me started until mid May when I will be able to travel to music stores. I am possibly thinking a Fender Mustang I V-2 amp.
Just my advice here....get a MIM Tele and a Blues Jr tube amp. Very simple and very few controls to deal with, and great sound.

I'm sure the Yamaha you speak of will serve your purpose, but if you do make a purchase, go with the Tele.

Can you post a pic of what you have?

This was my story, you can read post 1 and post 39 for the results:
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=529179
2006 Yamaha F200TXR 4 stroke. My Guitars - Yamaha FG700S Sandburst; Epiphone Les Paul Standard; 2018 Yamaha LL-16D Natural; Ibanez Talman Bass; Fender Standard Telecaster; Yamaha FG820-12 Natural; Yamaha FS830 Tobacco Brown Sunburst; ....A beginner practicing almost everyday since 12/15/14....{:::]==={=O=I}
Old 04-27-2019, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarred21 View Post
Just my advice here....get a MIM Tele and a Blues Jr tube amp. Very simple and very few controls to deal with, and great sound.

I'm sure the Yamaha you speak of will serve your purpose, but if you do make a purchase, go wit the Tele.

I don’t do photos for a lack of technical knowledge. I still use a flip phone! The blues junior is more than I want to spend. At my skill level, and age, a less expensive amp would be more suitable, plus, I do not gig. I will definitely try a mim tele though!
Old 04-27-2019, 06:39 AM

Quote:
I don’t do photos for a lack of technical knowledge. I still use a flip phone! The blues junior is more than I want to spend. At my skill level, and age, a less expensive amp would be more suitable, plus, I do not gig. I will definitely try a mim tele though!
What color is your Yamaha and I'll post a stock photo for you to see if that's it.

Budget, yeah we need a budget number.

Personally, I did not like the highly recommended Mustang amp due to learning curve required. That's why I went simpler.
2006 Yamaha F200TXR 4 stroke. My Guitars - Yamaha FG700S Sandburst; Epiphone Les Paul Standard; 2018 Yamaha LL-16D Natural; Ibanez Talman Bass; Fender Standard Telecaster; Yamaha FG820-12 Natural; Yamaha FS830 Tobacco Brown Sunburst; ....A beginner practicing almost everyday since 12/15/14....{:::]==={=O=I}
Old 04-27-2019, 07:18 AM

Quote:

I'm sure the Yamaha you speak of will serve your purpose, but if you do make a purchase, go with the Tele.

polarred - if you read his earlier posts you will see that a BJ is unsuitable for his situation. WAY too loud.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 04-27-2019, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Japanese companies have made some excellent guitars. IF you are going to buy another electric, after playing the Yamaha for a while, make sure it is something that you like even better.... The Yamaha could be very good after the setup.

... searching for Yamaha se200, I spotted a link or two that called it an '80s vintage guitar ...
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 04-27-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
You can play ANYTHING on a tele. A strat too, really, but teles are about as versatile as it gets, and they're pretty simple guitars too. The perfect design, imho.

Pickups...yeah, you can get caught up chasing tone dragons. I maintain there's two--and only 2 reasons to change the pickup on a guitar that already sounded good: 1. The pickup is broken or 2. there's a very specific sound you're going after and the pickup change is necessary to get it.

So for the most part, I think all the pickup swapping is silly. Find a guitar that sounds and feels good and play the frets off of it.

As for amps, you can't go wrong with a smaller tube amp, again, beauty in simplicity.

Although on the not-as-simple front, modelling amps have gotten very good--for the person who likes a lot of different tones.
I went this route x 3: three vintage spec telecasters, three small Fender tube amps, 9 combinations of guitar to amp, no pickup swaps, only a single upgrade of the input jack on the Squier.

No Les Paul, no PRS, no Strat, no Marshall etc.

The bridge pickup of the Tele slays with a tube amp: explosive dynamics hitting two or three strings with measured swing of the arm P Townshend style.

Rock guitar; maybe on a Strat it would be more dependent on hot rodding the signal with pedals.

Last edited by Jaden; 04-27-2019 at 08:36 PM.
Old 04-27-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
The bridge pickup of the Tele slays with a tube amp: explosive dynamics hitting two or three strings with measured swing of the arm P Townsend style.

Rock guitar; maybe on a Strat it would be more dependent on hot rodding the signal with pedals.
The tele bridge pickup is indeed powerful magic. On the other hand, a strat sings when switched to the neck pickup.

I was lucky to pick up a TeleStrat partscaster that has otherwise tele hardware but there's a strat neck pickup on it.
Old 04-27-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
Japanese companies have made some excellent guitars. IF you are going to buy another electric, after playing the Yamaha for a while, make sure it is something that you like even better.... The Yamaha could be very good after the setup.

... searching for Yamaha se200, I spotted a link or two that called it an '80s vintage guitar ...

I did a google search, and yes, its a Taiwan made model made in the eighties and indeed is called “vintage” (just like me). Saw a few online for sale, one of which was blue, called “excellent condition” with case for $400.00. There was also a red one which I believe was for $275.00. They said the red was more rare.
Old 04-27-2019, 05:13 PM

So does it look like this red one on Reverb for sale?
https://reverb.com/fr/item/3138121-v...are-red-finish

Sounds like you already have a nice guitar. Just need am amp that suits you.

Last edited by polarred21; 04-27-2019 at 05:19 PM.
Old 04-27-2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:
So does it look like this red one on Reverb for sale?
https://reverb.com/fr/item/3138121-v...are-red-finish

Sounds like you already have a nice guitar. Just need am amp that suits you.

Thats it, exactly!
Old 04-27-2019, 08:32 PM

Quote:
The tele bridge pickup is indeed powerful magic. On the other hand, a strat sings when switched to the neck pickup.

I was lucky to pick up a TeleStrat partscaster that has otherwise tele hardware but there's a strat neck pickup on it.
For decades the neck pickup on the telecaster was very dark with compressed frequency response due to a copper base plate. When Jimi Hendrix was asked back in the 1960s why he didn’t employ a telecaster his reply was that it had a very limited range of sound, and he meant it. Yet another great development in our choice of electric guitars today has been the emancipation of the telecaster from the very limited dark neck pup.

So today the Strat offers 1) the in between ‘quack’ positions using two pickups, and 2) the spring loaded bridge. Hard tail Strats apparently are very limited in production or out of production altogether these days: without the springs, it isn’t really a Strat.

Last edited by Jaden; 04-28-2019 at 02:19 AM.
Old 04-28-2019, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post

So today the Strat offers 1) the in between ‘quack’ positions using two pickups, and 2) the spring loaded bridge. Hard tail Strats apparently are very limited in production or out of production altogether these days: without the springs, it isn’t really a Strat.
It does say Stratocaster on my 1983 Fender hardtail They are not common, that is for sure. I miss the neck and bridge combination on a stock strat. At least in my case, the strat bridge pickup is not as strong as the tele bridge pickup.
Old 04-28-2019, 01:55 AM

Quote:
It does say Stratocaster on my 1983 Fender hardtail They are not common, that is for sure. I miss the neck and bridge combination on a stock strat. At least in my case, the strat bridge pickup is not as strong as the tele bridge pickup.
Yes, and while we’re talking about these two classic Fender designs, the Strat shape and contoured body has been described by many as being very comfortable; Leo designed in accordance with musician’s requests.

I think the key factor with regard to the Tele bridge pickup is the large surrounding bridge plate which acts like a mechanical speaker to transmit the vibrations produced by and in contact with the strings via the steel or brass saddles. A Tele played acoustically has a pronounced bite.

By way of general conversation in service to the OP.

Last edited by Jaden; 04-28-2019 at 02:14 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars