The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-03-2019, 08:03 PM

that is the way a Tele should be played ! perfect sound ,nice pickin!!
Old 04-03-2019, 10:38 PM

Awesome video and love the Charlie Christian p/u in a tele! I know you mentioned that it isn't really called that, but that's sort of stuck in my vernacular. Anyway, great video...thanks for posting it!
Old 04-04-2019, 02:52 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingston View Post
Awesome video and love the Charlie Christian p/u in a tele! I know you mentioned that it isn't really called that, but that's sort of stuck in my vernacular. Anyway, great video...thanks for posting it!
Thank you, Livingston.

It's stuck in just about everyone's vernacular.

HE
My New Website!

Last edited by Kerbie; 04-06-2019 at 03:13 AM.
Old 04-05-2019, 04:52 AM

Default Tele & Princeton Reverb

Do I hear a bit of Ry Cooder’s influence in there? Nice playing Howard!
Old 04-05-2019, 06:02 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnewsom View Post
Do I hear a bit of Ry Cooder’s influence in there? Nice playing Howard!
After my 13 Ventures albums (Nokie Edwards was my first guitar hero), I was introduced to Ry Cooder's eponymous first album (Air Stream Trailer cover), and I did not get it; the coin failed to drop.

Then I went away to college, (aka avoiding the draft) in Boston to Berklee School of Music, where I cut class and learned how to fingerpick.

I dropped out, came home started playing bottleneck and THEN the coin dropped.

I play strictly in open tunings since then, and can barely hold a flat pick.

Glad you enjoyed it!

HE
My New Website!

Last edited by Kerbie; 04-06-2019 at 03:12 AM.
Old 04-05-2019, 06:38 AM

Default Tele & Princeton Reverb

Ry Cooder is one of my biggest influences, though oddly enough I mostly flat pick. His phrasing, layered rhythms and ‘South of the Border’ undercurrents have been a great inspiration in developing treatments for songs old and new in my repertoire. My musical developement could be divided into BRC(before Ry Cooder) and ARC(after Ry Cooder).
Old 04-05-2019, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

Just caught this Howard.
That was really great. That's what guitar playing sounds like. You know it when you hear it.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 04-05-2019, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
Thank you, Livingston.

It's stuck in just about everyone's vernacular.

HE
Jason Lollar produces one he calls a Charlie Christian for Tele's and Archtops.

I have one in my Fender Elite Tele. Superb pickups!
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 04-08-2019, 11:28 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
Jason Lollar produces one he calls a Charlie Christian for Tele's and Archtops.

I have one in my Fender Elite Tele. Superb pickups!
The pickups in mine were built by Pete Biltoft of Vintage Vibe Guitars.

I like that he offered them with a faux 'tortoise' bobbin top. They go nicely with the finish John Monteleone shot for me!

HE

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-14-2019, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Finally got my practice area to where I can relax, plug in and not make a visible mess of the room. This is a bit of my song "Flirty Skirt" from 'A Tale To Tell', played through my Tele build and a PRRI with a D123 JBL, no effects. The iPhone audio is wonky because it's too far away, picking up ambient sounds, etc with the compression kicking in and out, but whatever.......enjoy.

HE
My New Website!
That sounded great, both and tone and playing!

Howard is was because of your post about your amp that I threw a JBL D123 into my 1961 Ampeg Mercury. I found two mint ones, and so now I have a spare, and thank goodness for that, just in case I ever blow the first one, which I love!!! Here it is...

Old 04-14-2019, 07:09 PM
Charter Member

That sounds really good! I am a big fan of my Princeton and tele combo. Wish I could make them sound nearly as good though!
Old 04-15-2019, 05:20 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
That sounded great, both and tone and playing!

Howard is was because of your post about your amp that I threw a JBL D123 into my 1961 Ampeg Mercury. I found two mint ones, and so now I have a spare, and thank goodness for that, just in case I ever blow the first one, which I love!!! Here it is...

Hey Daniel!

That track sounds wonderful on all counts; the playing, singing, acoustic & electric tones, etc.

I actually used to own an Ampeg M-12 but didn't keep it for whatever reason. I've always loved the smaller, older Ampeg AND Guild amps!

Good move putting in the JBL D123! I don't know if you've noticed, but no matter what they're marked (16 or 8 ohms), they often are less than 8. Most sellers put up pictures/descriptions of what the meter says. Mine is an 8ohm that had some small tears, but with some silk & cyanoacrylate I got it secured, and the price was incredibly low.

Regards,
Howard
https://www.howardemerson.com/from-w...howard-emerson My Blog Page!
Old 04-15-2019, 11:09 AM

Another guy here with a Tele and PRRI. It is a classic combination.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Hey Daniel!

That track sounds wonderful on all counts; the playing, singing, acoustic & electric tones, etc.

I actually used to own an Ampeg M-12 but didn't keep it for whatever reason. I've always loved the smaller, older Ampeg AND Guild amps!

Good move putting in the JBL D123! I don't know if you've noticed, but no matter what they're marked (16 or 8 ohms), they often are less than 8. Most sellers put up pictures/descriptions of what the meter says. Mine is an 8ohm that had some small tears, but with some silk & cyanoacrylate I got it secured, and the price was incredibly low.

Regards,
Howard
https://www.howardemerson.com/from-w...howard-emerson My Blog Page!
Howard when you first talked about the speaker I did extensive research into it, and Harvey Gerst (JBL designer) said the same thing about the impedance. And that worked to my advantage, as the seller who sold me my pair, said they were marked 16 ohms. But I had him put a multimeter to the speakers, and the were actually just under 8. Otherwise they may have sold faster to someone else! The high end on these speakers can get out of control for guitar, but if you just back up the tone control on the amp that high end is ridiculously musical, with the low notes being very articulate. And with me being a fingerstyle player that works to my advantage. And speaking of playing, your style and mine are very similar! Maybe it's something in the NY water. I have family in your neck of the woods (I'm a native born Long Islander), and although I now live in Utah, I drive by Huntington Station on my way out to Montauk every summer, so maybe we should get a cup of coffee and talk all things music and guitars
Old 04-15-2019, 02:08 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Howard when you first talked about the speaker I did extensive research into it, and Harvey Gerst (JBL designer) said the same thing about the impedance. And that worked to my advantage, as the seller who sold me my pair, said they were marked 16 ohms. But I had him put a multimeter to the speakers, and the were actually just under 8. Otherwise they may have sold faster to someone else! The high end on these speakers can get out of control for guitar, but if you just back up the tone control on the amp that high end is ridiculously musical, with the low notes being very articulate. And with me being a fingerstyle player that works to my advantage. And speaking of playing, your style and mine are very similar! Maybe it's something in the NY water. I have family in your neck of the woods (I'm a native born Long Islander), and although I now live in Utah, I drive by Huntington Station on my way out to Montauk every summer, so maybe we should get a cup of coffee and talk all things music and guitars
Mi casa es su cafe, señor!

Call when you're going to be in the area. My contact info is on the website.

HE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars