The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-29-2018, 08:02 PM

Default Is it really my age or am i just lazy?

Today I probably could play 200 songs that date all the way back to the 70’s with total recall. Stuff I learned in my youth. Back then, I could do a couple hours in front of a crowd with no music, charts, cheat sheets. Easy.

Since I got back in to doing some public playing I have taken to using an iPad and OnSong to help me. I don’t like doing it and when I played my little happy hour last week I just really felt dependent on the technology. I justify it by saying, “well, I’m older now. I have more on my mind. I can’t recall everything.”

I’ve played some of these “new” songs dozens of times under different circumstances and yet I still have the tablet there scrolling along.

So, at a young, healthy 62 am I just lazy? Does technology just make it easier to only partially learn the song and have the ability to catch a hint? (I will say, back 30 or 40 years ago I had to listen to the song and work it out. The internet makes it stupid easy to get the chords and lyrics. Maybe i need to go back to that? Nahhhhh...)

Hate the dependency but love playing and singing for people.....
Old 10-29-2018, 08:07 PM

If you enjoy it and the audience enjoys it who cares how it's done?

You are still playing and they are still listening.....
Old 10-29-2018, 08:13 PM

Though we're all difference... It's age, dude. I can totally relate.

The things I learned as a kid 50 years ago I can still play from memory. Learning a tune today and remembering it without written help is almost an impossibility. It's maddening.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 10-29-2018, 08:51 PM

I can play songs with no problem that I learned 40 years ago, 30 years ago, etc. But we have 4 or 5 songs each week to play on Sunday morning with our Praise Band and I use my iPad and OnSong. There's usually one new song every couple of weeks.

A lot of the songs I must have played 20 times over the last few years but I still look at the chord sheets on the iPad. I think part of it is that I'm playing with 7 or 8 other people and really need to make sure it's right. Plus, we use click tracks and they aren't forgiving at all if you get off.

When I play my 'old' songs then it's just me and if I want to add a measure or skip a verse or make any tempo changes then it's cool.

But I can't seem to remember these newer songs like I can my old John Denver, Simon & Garfunkel, CSN&Y, etc.

David

My Woodworking YouTube channel - David Falkner Woodworking --------------------------------------------
Martin, Gallagher, Guild, Takamine, Falkner
Old 10-29-2018, 08:58 PM
Charter Member

Why make yourself feel guilty about a system that works? You’re playing guitar and can do a lot of tunes. What’s the problem with a little help?

I have no doubt forgotten more songs than I know now. I couldn’t possibly play 95% of the stuff I ever learned without sheet music. There’s stuff I haven’t played in 10 or 15 years that I couldn’t even begin to remember.

So do what you need to.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:04 PM

I’m 55 and I have a hell of a time remembering songs that I knew a year ago. I feel better knowing I m not alone in this.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:13 PM

I hear you, dude... at least, I THINK I hear you. I thought my ears were pretty good, but at age 67, I have trouble hearing individual voices in a noisy environment. I don't (yet) use the technological help that others on this thread have used, but it sure takes me at least two weeks of constant playing to learn a new song. Having a deadline like a concert helps, too.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:18 PM

Don't feel bad. I play 150 songs, but, when someone asks what songs I play I have a hard time thinking of the titles.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:25 PM

What, we're supposed to remember songs? Tell me it isn't so.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:26 PM
Charter Member

I do think it's harder as we age to remember the words to every song. I certainly have trouble with it. I don't have trouble remembering how to play a song on the guitar, but words are real problem for me.

It's not just that we are older but it's also because our brain's are more full of stuff. My older brother calls it the full beer glass theory. You pour more in, there is only so much room, some overflows.

- Glenn
Old 10-29-2018, 09:29 PM
Charter Member

If you stop remembering songs fully and "lean on" either sheet music, iPad, lyric sheets... very quickly, your brain will just say, "okay, we don't need to remember that stuff...".

You only need all that fluff because you USE it. If you're okay with it, well, whatever.

I personally find it distracting and highly amateurish to see a guy singing songs in a small venue and using all that stuff... what? You can't practice your songs?

A huge problem with those apparatuses is how frequently they take the performer away from the audience, take away that connection that is so dear to music and authentic human interaction.

Just my take on it... I've been working in bars, clubs and cofeehouses for the past 50 years...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 10-29-2018, 10:20 PM

Well, i am an amateur so i guess that’s ok!
Old 10-29-2018, 10:23 PM

I've reached the age where I sometimes can't even remember why I walked into the kitchen! So I don't really have a problem using an iPad with OnSong so I can remember lyrics.

In my mind there are 3 separate categories of performers:

1. The Professional. This is the person who makes their living performing music. It can be the Big Celebrity/Star or the local musician/band who plays 5 or 6 nights a week. But that's their job.They don't have a "day job". This is how they make their money. So yeah, these people should be able to perform without any aid/help.

2. The serious hobbyist. These are the ones who do have a day job! But they probably play gigs every week or weekend. And see more of their bandmates than their significant other. These folks should really make an effort to memorize their songs.

3. And then there's rest of us. After 20, 30, 40 plus years of playing, in our living rooms, have finally summoned enough nerve to play at an open mic. It seemed to go well and you didn't pass out or drop your pick. So now you play maybe a couple times a month at open mics. And you found some people to jam with and made some music friends.

Nope. I don't have a problem at all with group #3 using an iPad or lyric sheet. It's all about making music and having fun!

Martin: D-28, 00-18V, Custom 000-21, D12-35
Guild: GF-60M
Martin C1K ukulele, Kala soprano ukulele
Kentucky mandolin
Old 10-29-2018, 10:31 PM

I still have the song list from the first band I was in when I was 15. That is way too close to 55 years ago and I, like so many others, can still sing all of those old 3 and 4 chord songs without a problem. Songs we played a hundred or more times at gigs and rehearsals. When we look at touring band concert footage we don't see any ipads or binders. What you don't see though are the scrollers that look like speakers on the floor in front of them, or the screens that are positioned around. These are devices that are used not only to provide a backup, but help with new songs they may be breaking in, or for band members that may be filling in. In some cases, they are used so the audience can sing along. Most of the time though, they have done what we did all those years ago. Played them over and over again until it is stuck in the brain. I am still playing and learning but will admit I have binders with a hard copy of all the songs on my Surface. LOL
Old 10-29-2018, 10:56 PM

you're lazy...

no, just different priorities

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write