The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 02:49 PM

Hi,

I really wish some of you guys would post a video of your progress with toby...

I love the packs, I take a little from the packs, youtube , jamplay and anything else to make something sound , somewhat like playing..lol

Anyway...How do you transition from plucking into strumming..been playing 2 years now. This is the best stuff to make it sound like something....at the risk of ridicule and laughter out loud....I will post a video of my difficulties.

The more I watch this more it doesn't sound like anything Toby teaches but I am at my whits end , I need some help but nobody in my area teaches this style, they want to start with fingerstyle...etc

http://youtu.be/87s_l6n4Qyk
Old 07-11-2014, 06:06 PM

Carpunky I am no expert, but when you start strumming especially the d chord you do not want to hit all the strings. And it sounds like you are strumming pretty aggressively. I would reccommend a little lighter strumming and watch which bass notes you include when strumming.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:42 PM

Hey thanks

Attacking, you are spot on, I think alot of it is that i am trying to get back to the rhythm to fast...something I need to wok on for sure, thanks alot man....

This is great.....I rather post a video and be ate up all day than spend $60 for a hour of instruction and come back with nothing to work except some exercises.

thanks

P.S I wonder if it would be good etiquette to post another after i have worked on it ?
Old 07-11-2014, 07:11 PM

I didnt mean that directed towards Tobys Sykpe lessons , I just met in general Skype lessons. I make $17 hour, not going to pay someone $30 for a half hour of a exercise that you can find everyday on you tube. When i take a skype lesson, I would like to come away with something.

I did just that, payed some guy $100 for 4 / 30 minute lessons and all i got was exercises that I could find on youtube.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:01 PM

I see nothing wrong with posting a another video, this forum is supposed to be a place to provide information and to help others. Among other things.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:29 PM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpunky View Post
Hi,

I love the packs, I take a little from the packs, youtube , jamplay and anything else to make something sound , somewhat like playing..lol

Anyway...How do you transition from plucking into strumming..been playing 2 years now. This is the best stuff to make it sound like something....at the risk of ridicule and laughter out loud....I will post a video of my difficulties.

The more I watch this more it doesn't sound like anything Toby teaches but I am at my whits end , I need some help but nobody in my area teaches this style, they want to start with fingerstyle...etc

http://youtu.be/87s_l6n4Qyk
Hi Carplunky,

Thanks for posting the video. Without it I wouldn't have been able to spot something.

I noticed that you're constantly facing your left hand while struggling with a right hand technique. In the case of making a transition from fingerpicking to strumming and visa-versa you're going to have to focus on your right hand.

First off, let's talk about your left hand. From what I can see those open chords aren't sounding as clear as they can be. The reason for this simple... you're not getting those fingers close enough to the frets, especially with that first finger, third string 2nd fret for the D chord. If your open chords are not completely mastered, meaning played cleanly while quickly switching from one to the other then you're always going to have some type of problem with the overall sound.

That being said, if you want accomplish that goal then try this: fingerpick the D chord using the following right hand pattern: Thumb - downstroke on the fourth string. Index finger upstrokes on the 2nd string. Thumb downstrokes on the third string and finally the index or middle finger upstrokes on the 1st string. The count should be 1 & 2 & with your thumb coming down on beats 1 and 2. After you've done that twice - equaling 4 beats then STRUM DOWN with your thumb across most of the strings on the 1 or down beat and use either your index or middle finger to STRUM UP on the first few strings on the & or the upbeat.

If you work on that cleanly you'll be WAY closer to achieving that goal.

Hope that helps.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:41 PM
Charter Member

One more thing... regarding the difference between learning something on YouTube as opposed to studying with a teacher. A video, no matter how well it is produced or taught cannot give you feedback.... and that includes mine! Feedback is really what you're paying for when you take a private, one on one lesson, whether that's on Skype or in person.

Given the PROPER feedback a teacher can save you MONTHS of time and that's precisely why a student would want to pay a fee.

If money is the issue then I'd suggest doing the following: first finding a teacher that you can relate to and that has a positive track record. You'll know that by looking into their background and asking them some questions... BEFORE taking a single lesson. Once you find a good teacher then walk into that lesson with a PURPOSE... just like the one you've demonstrated here with your video. You had a specific need which you explained perfectly well. My guess is that had you asked that teacher to help you with that specific problem they wouldn't have wasted your precious time... and everybody's time is precious... with exercises that weren't going to work for you. If a teacher simply isn't working for you then by the end of that first lesson it would have been wise to request a different teacher.

If you've done your due diligence then you'll find that your teacher will be able give you valuable assistance which in the long run will go a long, long way. For the price of one lesson I can't think of a better value. Yes... lessons are costly but you don't have to take loads of them... just enough to guide you on your way.

And trust me, I'm not trying to sell you on taking lessons from me. But I do think that the right teacher will work wonders for you, whoever they turn out to be.

Hope that helped.

Last edited by Toby Walker; 07-11-2014 at 09:47 PM.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:24 AM

Well I'm working through lesson 2 of Toby's 'E Pack' - the blues box licks are just great! Great to vamp a 4/4 rhythm on the muted E bass and play around with those tasty licks!

My changing up of the licks thus far is pretty basic - just pre bends and half/quarter tone bends to add flavour! Oh and of course changing the order of the notes (sometimes not on purpose ).

I have procured some fingerpicks so that the melody notes are singing nice and clear! Anyone else here using thumb and finger picks after starting these lessons?!
Old 07-12-2014, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpunky View Post
Hi,

When I've got 12 bars of the 'E Box' up to a decent tempo and I've got it groovin' I'll post a video

It'll only be recorded on my iPhone 4 camera, so don't expect 720p
Old 07-12-2014, 09:53 AM

Thanks Toby,,

yeah I need to break down and take a lesson with you because your videos have helped me the most to make some kind of sound, even though its off tempo and probably still not doing it right.

It is leaps and bounds from where I came from.

Thanks for taking the time to give me that helpful tip. I really didn't expect you to reply but was making it for others who are doing the modules.

I just wanted to see if I was getting the right concept , much appreciated to all of you.

Gratz on Duck Dynasty , that is awsome !
Old 07-12-2014, 12:12 PM

Not really on the topic of lessons - but you students of Toby really NEED to check this out!

http://www.prx.org/pieces/121075-tob...ur-peace-ranch

A set that he performed at the famous 'Fur Peace Ranch'!
Really great stuff! Amazing voice as well as amazing chops!

Enjoy it chaps!
Old 07-12-2014, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthorpe View Post
Not really on the topic of lessons - but you students of Toby really NEED to check this out!

http://www.prx.org/pieces/121075-tob...ur-peace-ranch

A set that he performed at the famous 'Fur Peace Ranch'!
Really great stuff! Amazing voice as well as amazing chops!

Enjoy it chaps!
Whoa... I had no idea that recording existed. Thanks for turning me on to it.

Old 07-13-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Walker View Post
Whoa... I had no idea that recording existed. Thanks for turning me on to it.

You're welcome
Old 07-18-2014, 03:07 PM

Toby, I was looking at your lesson on Homespun, Sitting on Top of The World. Does the lesson include tab, are you in drop-D?
Thanks
Old 07-18-2014, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 000JB View Post
Toby, I was looking at your lesson on Homespun, Sitting on Top of The World. Does the lesson include tab, are you in drop-D?
Thanks
I'm not sure if there is tab included or not but yes, I'm in Drop D.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write