The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-16-2013, 06:15 AM

Default That darned F-Chord.

So after years of playing and teaching I still find the 1st position F-chord to be somewhat of an enigma. I find 3 fingerings of the chord useful at times, but not one useful for everything. What I mean by 3 fingerings is: The "first" F-chord - across the first 4 strings with the index finger barring the e and B strings; the "full-bar" F-chord - self explanatory; And the "Blues" F-Chord: Fretting the low F note on the sixth string with the thumb along with an Fmaj7th shape on top, muting the high e with the index. What I don't get, and can't fret it the combination of the "First" F chord and The "Blues" one, with the thumb on the bass note. For some reason I can't barr my index on just 2 strings with the thumb on the bass. Anyway, I heard Stefan Grossman say he uses this latter version of the F-chord, but finds the barr un-useful for any kind of music - is that practical advise? I mean, should ALL shapes of the chords be taught? I find the "Barre" F very useful, even in blues playing. Thougts? Thanks in advance.

Martin GPC 11E
Guild CV-1
Gibson L-00 Studio
Gretsch Jim Dandy
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 02-16-2013, 07:38 AM

I dont find that changing to fingering of F is really that bad. You can play it like the C chord but change the fingers up and mute the low E and high E strings. Then you can slide up to the same formation to make G.

You can bar it but just focus on hitting the low F, the ear doesnt really care what the rest of the strings do and when its partially muted, it even has a better chug.

You can roll your first finger over the high E string to make that F note and forget about the lower register.

Then there are a number of inversions all over the fretboar to use when transitioning, a good chord book shows the tons of F formations available.

For chords that are taxing, I find inversions somewhere else on the fretboard. Remember, as long it is has 3 notes, 1.3.5, its a chord. For jazz 1.3 works fine
Old 02-16-2013, 08:25 AM

I thought I played a fine first position F barre until I fingerpicked it.

It's still kinda hard to switch to, but getting easier over time.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesyRob View Post
Anyway, I heard Stefan Grossman say he uses this latter version of the F-chord, but finds the barr un-useful for any kind of music - is that practical advise? I mean, should ALL shapes of the chords be taught? I find the "Barre" F very useful, even in blues playing. Thougts? Thanks in advance.
Stefan Grossman is a finger picker. Me too. The problem with the barred F is that it takes up all your fingers and blocks away all the open strings. Therefor you can only play the notes in the chord. With the thumb on the 6th string you can add notes like the D on the second string, and remove fingers to get selected open strings and you can do hammer ons and pull offs as well. I imagine that this kind of flexibility is what he misses when playing the barred F.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:42 AM

The dreaded the barred F chord...again
If some of you have a problem getting a note to sound clean with your index finger at the joint, try using some narrow tape, perhaps, winding it around 2 times. I've never tried that, but it might work.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:47 AM

Why would having more than one possible fingering for a chord ever be anything but good?

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 02-16-2013, 09:45 AM

My solution.....tune down a whole step and play a G........

Much, much prettier, full, and clean....

Wish someone would've told me that 25 years ago when I played acoustic in a Church that played EVERYTHING in F........

Breedlove American C25 SME--Neumann KMS 105---Fishman Loudbox Performer---KORG PA 4X--Tascam DP 24
God, My Guitar, & Me
Old 02-16-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Why would having more than one possible fingering for a chord ever be anything but good?
I was thinking the exact same thing.

The physical side of things aside, I believe that learning how to manipulate chord inversions effectively is one of the most useful skills you can develop as a guitarist (or on any polyphonic instrument, for that matter).
Old 02-16-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA View Post

Wish someone would've told me that 25 years ago when I played acoustic in a Church that played EVERYTHING in F........
Or you could have used a capo on 1 and played in E; or capo on 3 and played in D; or capo on 5 and played in C...

Tuning down a whole step to play in G puts you in good company though. That's what Paul McCartney did for Yesterday.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
I hope no one thought I was saying so. I recommend any and all possible fingerings of chords...I was just surprised to hear someone like Grosman say such a thing since he's so big in the world of guitar education.

Martin GPC 11E
Guild CV-1
Gibson L-00 Studio
Gretsch Jim Dandy
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 02-16-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
I was just surprised to hear someone like Grosman say such a thing since he's so big in the world of guitar education.
People say the craziest things sometimes, but for them, it makes perfect sense.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA View Post

Really?? Sooner or later you'll need to be able to properly play an F, I'm sure....

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 02-18-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
So after years of playing and teaching I still find the 1st position F-chord to be somewhat of an enigma. I find 3 fingerings of the chord useful at times, but not one useful for everything. What I mean by 3 fingerings is: The "first" F-chord - across the first 4 strings with the index finger barring the e and B strings; the "full-bar" F-chord - self explanatory; And the "Blues" F-Chord: Fretting the low F note on the sixth string with the thumb along with an Fmaj7th shape on top, muting the high e with the index. What I don't get, and can't fret it the combination of the "First" F chord and The "Blues" one, with the thumb on the bass note. For some reason I can't barr my index on just 2 strings with the thumb on the bass. Anyway, I heard Stefan Grossman say he uses this latter version of the F-chord, but finds the barr un-useful for any kind of music - is that practical advise? I mean, should ALL shapes of the chords be taught? I find the "Barre" F very useful, even in blues playing. Thougts? Thanks in advance.
First, as a player who after years knows he'll never be great.... F in a few positions and most barre chords were not too hard one I got the idea of movable chord shapes and the advice to roll you flesh into it.

Useful? Sure, any time the music calls for it. If I'm all alone a full chord makes sense. If the guitar is part part of the something bigger or carrying the melody just 3 strings of an F (or any chord) might be best.

When I used to attend bluegrass and old time jams I'd play whatever notes of an F or any chord that would be heard if there were more than a few players. Sometimes that was low notes, with my 00-18 the high notes.

I remember this link as one expressing when less is more and what to play in a chord.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF-XDf_jf5w

And Niles actually playing an acoustic guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4l-Jk2gubU
Old 02-18-2013, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
...I find 3 fingerings of the chord useful at times, but not one useful for everything.
Hi Rob...

Isn't that true of any/every chord? Is for me.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write