The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-18-2013, 02:32 PM

Question Piano > Guitar arrangements ?

I've been 'fiddling' around trying to make a guitar arrangement from a piano score. Specifically, it's Joni Mitchell's piano arrangement in 'Blue'. There are tabs available but I'm not too happy with them.
A questions for those of you who have had some success doing this kind of stuff.
Did you find any specific tuning to be more suitable for arranging piano to guitar ?
I appreciate any ideas or thoughts...
Thanks
Old 02-18-2013, 02:36 PM

Standard!

It's an arrangement, not a direct transcription...

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 02-18-2013, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern View Post
...Did you find any specific tuning to be more suitable for arranging piano to guitar?
Hi Bern...

Sure. I listen to the piano piece I'm going to be translating/arranging etc. numerous times a day, for however long it takes to identify key harmonic or melodic elements, and chord inversions.

Then I sit down and begin to play with it in different keys. I'm going to end up with it in C-A-G-E or D (if it's major) or Em, Dm or Am if it's minor (maybe Bm). I feel no allegiance to the original key.

I'll experiment with it in Dropped D too (which I can cross play in key of D or G).

Once I start arranging it (making it mine) I stop listening to the original and just begin carving it out. When I'm through, I'll play it for my gigging partner, and then do a quick recording with one of my Zoom recorders.

Then I go back to the original piece and listen to see how well I've ported it over, and make appropriate adjustments to the arrangement.

This is just my process which seems to fit my brain and playing style.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write