The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-19-2018, 07:24 PM

Default Books on Music Sheets for Acoustic

I'm looking for any books that can help me with exercises on reading music for guitar. Maybe a book that has lessons and help me get a better overstanding on music sheets or learning to read music better. TABs are a bit too simple for me at this point and I'm looking to improve my overall music journey. Any books will help thanks a bunch
Old 08-19-2018, 07:45 PM

Here is one, but I would take a few lessons with a good guitar teacher first to get you started. Once you get going, you should be fine.

https://www.amazon.com/How-Read-Musi...+for+beginners

Master Guitar on DVD is very good too and have learned much from it.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/book...uitar&index=10
Old 08-19-2018, 07:53 PM

I would recommend Sight to Sound but Leon White
Old 08-19-2018, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post
Here is one, but I would take a few lessons with a good guitar teacher first to get you started. Once you get going, you should be fine.
There are lots of books that can explain how to read the music. It's quite another to use the notes on a page to PLAY the music. But I guess it all depends on how deep you want to get with it. I agree that a good teacher is probably must, especially at the beginning. I would say that weekly lessons for an extended time would be ideal if you really want to learn to not only read music, but play from it. My advice would be to find a good teacher and let him/her guide you to the proper book to start with.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 08-19-2018, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
There are lots of books that can explain how to read the music. It's quite another to use the notes on a page to PLAY the music. But I guess it all depends on how deep you want to get with it. I agree that a good teacher is probably must, especially at the beginning. I would say that weekly lessons for an extended time would be ideal if you really want to learn to not only read music, but play from it. My advice would be to find a good teacher and let him/her guide you to the proper book to start with.
I can't afford a teacher atm. Do you have any other recommendations like books, dvds etc thats my plan is to play the music
Old 08-19-2018, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YasunBey13 View Post
I can't afford a teacher atm. Do you have any other recommendations like books, dvds etc thats my plan is to play the music
Go with the Learn & Master Guitar DVD set. You have a teacher and you can print the book plus there is a forum where you can ask questions. If you stick with it, you can be a decent player in a year.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post
Go with the Learn & Master Guitar DVD set. You have a teacher and you can print the book plus there is a forum where you can ask questions. If you stick with it, you can be a decent player in a year.
I'll check et out. I'm trying to learn more classical or fingerstyle approach will this still be fine?
Old 08-20-2018, 10:12 AM

Many years ago I took lessons to get functional reading the staff. After becoming proficient with the most common notes on the first 5 frets my instructor introduced a music book meant for flute players. It was great because it forced me to learn notes all the way up the neck, which has become very useful. Sorry I no longer have the book or remember its name.

The standard "Real" book is a must have if you are into Jazz Standards:

https://www.amazon.com/slp/the-real-...o8d4228ro2633k
Old 08-20-2018, 10:20 AM

I take a sheet music book, pick out popular songs that I already know, and try to read along with them. The next step is trying to sight-read songs that I don't know. For example, "The Daily Ukulele" by Jim Beloff has many songs in a single-line lead sheet format.

I admit to not reading notation very well, especially time values. Blessed with a good ear and a great memory, I always knew my trumpet part after hearing it just a couple of times through back in high school band, so I never learned to read well. On guitar, I play from lyric and chord charts, and almost never from notation. But I applaud those who have made the effort to learn.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
I'll check et out. I'm trying to learn more classical or fingerstyle approach . . . .
Frederick Noad's Solo Guitar Playing, Book 1
Old 08-20-2018, 12:03 PM

From the Berklee Press:

Reading Studies For Guitar
Positions One Through Seven and Multi-Position Studies in All Keys

Back cover: This volume covers positions one through seven in all keys, while introducing scales, arpeggios, written-out chords, and a variety of rhythms and time signatures.
Seagull Coastline S12 Cedar 12 string
Old 08-20-2018, 04:34 PM

Quote:
I'll check et out. I'm trying to learn more classical or fingerstyle approach will this still be fine?
Yes. It covers all types of playing. You may want to add this at the same time or a little later.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/book...aster&index=12
Old 08-31-2018, 07:21 PM

any other books still looking
Old 09-02-2018, 04:08 AM

I used the William Leavitt book one and also the first few of the Mel Bay series. They got me trained in pretty quick order. In both you learn to read by playing tunes. Worked pretty well for me. There are recordings of both too, either on CD or online.
Old 09-02-2018, 05:52 AM

Reading a book on how to read music will not help you to read music as much as just reading music. I think everyone will agree that learning to read music is a difficult process. You have to associate the dot on the line with the name of a note and then associate that note name with a position on the fretboard and then play the note. Only by doing that again and again and again will it become easier. Getting a book on how to do it can be seen as putting the difficult process off.

A typical guitar score has two separate voices to read at the same time. It will be simpler to start with music that has a single voice. Traditional folk tunes are usually single voice scores. There are loads of collections of folk tunes on line and books to buy.

Here's another point. Read the same score more than a couple of times and you start to play from memory not from the score. It's easier. You need a lot of tunes and a lot of books of tunes for this to work.

If you can you should spend between 15 and 30 minutes a day reading and playing from the book. Play each tune just once then go on to the next.

When I did this I had four, maybe five, different books of tunes. When I finished one book I'd put it to the bottom of the pile and start on the next one. I was playing a fiddle but the reading transferred to the guitar without me actually trying.

I was in my early fifties at the time I was doing this and I was able to get my thirty minutes reading practice in each day before going to work. If you are younger you may well get the same benefit from ten or fifteen minutes of practice.

Good luck.

Last edited by stanron; 09-02-2018 at 06:15 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write