The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-02-2022, 05:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Humm so to clarify you can't use the USB iLok to run Intro ? Or you have the option to not use the iLok dongle and run from your computer thru the internet connection to Pace authorization ??
I think you can use an iLok but you don't have to. The license can deposited on your computer by Pace and PT looks for it there, not somewhere on the web. Waves and Plugin Alliance, among many others, use this type of protection.
Old 10-02-2022, 05:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
You can use an iLok but you don't have to. The license can deposited on your computer by Pace and PT looks for it there, not somewhere on the web. Waves and Plugin Alliance, among many others, use this type of protection.
Ah Ok thanks
I will not be using as I have a current license So that sounds like it is indeed "free" if you do not have to pony up for the iLok usb key. That sounds like a pretty good deal if the track limits fit your needs

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 10-02-2022, 05:39 PM

Is there a link to this free version?

Yes: https://www.avid.com/pro-tools/intro

Last edited by DavidE; 10-02-2022 at 06:54 PM.
Old 10-02-2022, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
That's true now, wasn't true then.
Also, let's not confuse "best selling" with having anything to do with quality. The "best selling" of anything with a wide price range is almost always going to be one of the cheapest examples.
True Jim, but provided I don't need more i/o, I think I could do just fine with a Focusrite 2i2.
Old 10-02-2022, 06:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
True Jim, but provided I don't need more i/o, I think I could do just fine with a Focusrite 2i2.
When I first started, all I could get was a 2 channel interface. Anything with more than that was a HUGE jump in price. I eventually bought a Yamaha O1v to give me extra channels. These days I have 24 channels between my Carbon and my MOTU 16A, all of them are set up as inserts for my various outboard gear.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 10-02-2022, 07:12 PM

Quote:
When I first started, all I could get was a 2 channel interface. Anything with more than that was a HUGE jump in price. I eventually bought a Yamaha O1v to give me extra channels. These days I have 24 channels between my Carbon and my MOTU 16A, all of them are set up as inserts for my various outboard gear.
Ah yes I still have my original 01v. I won't let that one go for keepsake purposes. That was a game changer on so many levels for me. Some years later my work-place gave my an 02R 96 as we just didn't use them any longer. I still think that on-board reverb was magical and I wish I hadn't sold the thing, if for no other reason than the reverb.

I certainly understand when i/o becomes critical as it get more difficult to configure things, but as I mentioned a sub $200.00 Focusrite interface (or take your pick of the hundreds of USB interfaces previously available) makes for a very easy entry into Pro Tools provided 2 i/o is acceptable.

I just happen to know that Digi wasn't so interested in entry level interfaces. They bought M-Audio for that very reason and the numbers never panned out for them.
Old 10-02-2022, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I just happen to know that Digi wasn't so interested in entry level interfaces. They bought M-Audio for that very reason and the numbers never panned out for them.
I owned an 001 and then an 003. Neither was great by any stretch. The 003 seemed to have an issue with popping, which many attributed to Firewire and I think they were right because when I finally moved on from Firewire, the popping disappeared. But I used to spend a lot of time editing out the pops.

My biggest complaint about those early units were the preamps. The first outboard gear I bought was a preamp so I could stop using the ones in the 001. Here's a photo of my rig back in my early years. This must be around 2004. Top to bottom:
Yamaha O1v
Furman PL-PLUSDM
Focusrite TwinTrak Pro
Focusrite Liquid Channel
Digi 001
patchbay
Furman
ETA PD8L (same as the Furman)
Samson S-phone
dbx DriveRack Studio
TC-Helicon VoicePrism

I laugh now at some of my choices back then, including the foam on the walls. I still own the Furman and the EVA though. I also still own the Liquid Channel but I loaned it to a friend years ago and he still has it. In fact, I was over his place on Friday and saw it. The same friend also has that O1v. He still uses two of them in his home setup and when one broke down, I gave him mine because by then I was no longer using it.

YouTube
Old 10-02-2022, 09:50 PM
Charter Member

Interesting history Jim

My journey into Pro Tools and home recording gear was a bit different. I'll try to make this anecdote as brief as possible

Mine interest started out in song writing, I really did not have an interest in home recording per. se.

I was more interested in trying to find a pro studio to record some demo songs I had written. I had never been in a real recording studio and had no idea about the process

In January of 2002 - I ended up spending almost 18 months in NYC on a big remodel job of a mansion in Scarsdale NY I was practicing 2-3 hours a night 5 and 6 nights a week, and was also hitting the open mics all around the NY area

I ended up becoming friends with an engineer in a high end Post Production studio in midtown Manhattan.

He took me down to the studio one Sunday afternoon when it was closed and he did not have to charge me . We recorded 8 songs in about 4 hours

He put me in one control room put two Neuman U87 ai's up in front of me (one for guitar and one for vocal) fired up his Pro Tool HD TDM system and by the second song I was hooked on recording

He told me Digi Designs had an LE version of PT for home recording and suggested I look into the Digi 002 mini console/interface ( I agree the pre's were marginal ) I bought a Studio Projects LDC (also marginal and kind of shrill in the top end) That was in 2003

From there I bought a Focusrite Blue ISA 220) single channel combi pre and eq but sold that and got an Apogee Rosetta 200

Got a pair of Shure KSM 44 (kind wish I still had them) , and then saved up enough for a Brauner Phantom V and a few years later a single Schoeps CM6 -MK4 (sold that wish I hadn't)

Then made the jump to a Pro Tools HD Native and an Avid OMNI and an A Designs MP2A Then a few years later got a Bricasti M7 and few years after that the IGS Tubcore 3 U

Now I have the Avid Carbon and added the ADK Z -Mod 251 and the pair of AEA N2's and thats the journey ( so far )

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 10-02-2022, 10:46 PM

Thumbs up

Gosh....the great wall foam scam

Last edited by Joseph Hanna; 10-03-2022 at 02:14 PM.
Old 10-03-2022, 06:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Gosh....the great Auralex scam
No need to tip toe around, it's not like you are walking on egg shells

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 10-03-2022, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Mine interest started out in song writing, I really did not have an interest in home recording per. se.
I got into this the same way. This is my history...

I started performing when I was around 18 but I was almost all covers back then with only 2 or 3 originals mixed into my sets. Coffee houses had become popular and what I was doing was not much more than background music and I grew tired of it by the time I was around 20.

I stopped performing for well over a decade. By the time the 90s arrived, I had finished college and was teaching full-time. There was a teacher in my department, with whom I had become good friends, and I had told her that I used to perform but had grown disillusioned with being background music. She told me about an open mic/concert series that happened once a month in her town through the Huntington Folk Music Society. She gave me the info and said if I ever decide to play, she'd come to see me and I could be sure that at least one person would listen and applaud (she also added "even if you're really bad").

I thought about it for a bit and decided to give it a go. I'd never been to an open mic before that first one and had no idea what to expect, but I went up there and did a couple of my originals. The response was much better than I'd expected and the people in charge encouraged me to return. I started playing out on a fairly regular basis after that, only doing my own music and only in venues where people came to see the performances and were actually listening. Being picky about where I'd play limited me to some degree but it stopped me from feeling the discouragement that made me walk away from performing when I was younger.

A few years after that, a music teacher in my school had a guest lecturer in his class to teach his students about digital recording. He introduced me to the guy over lunch and we got to talking about music. He piqued my interest in recording some of my originals and it wasn't long after that I hired him and we got to work.

When we would do overdubs and mixing, I'd be there watching him working in Pro Tools and my curiosity got the better of me. He let me do some of the editing on occasion and I found I really enjoyed it. About a year after the album we were working on came out, I decided I wanted to have my own recording rig and he helped me pick out components to get started. We've been friends ever since. He's the guy I was covering for on that Def Leopard cover band recording session.

The previous photo was my rig around 2004. By 2008, it was almost all different. The only things I still have in my rack today are the Demeter and the Hardy. You can also see in the upper left corner that I'd started adding actual bass traps to the room by then.

Top to bottom:
a sliver is showing of a powerstrip
PreSonus Central Station
Demeter VTMP-2c
a pair of ACMP-84 pres (these were part of a pretty massive group buy)
John Hardy M1
Focusrite Liquid Channel
a racked Glyph drive
2 FMR RNCs in a Funk Logic rack
patchbay
Apogee Rosetta 200
Digi 003
another powerstrip
Focusrite Compounder

YouTube
Old 10-03-2022, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
Some add'l info:

PT Intro also supports third party plugins (in standard Pro Tools .aax format).

Even though it's free, you have to register it and use a Pace authorization scheme (it is authorized to your computer and not to an iLok, so no need for a USB iLok).

When folks with subscriptions to PT Artist, Studio or Ultimate fail to renew their subscription, PT Intro automatically turns on and sessions made in the three more fully featured versions will load in PT Intro (subject to PT Free's spec limits).
Useful info there!

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 10-03-2022, 02:15 PM

Quote:
No need to tip toe around, it's not like you are walking on egg shells
Ha! Edited for perhaps a softer response. Still though, a Titanic scam
Old 10-03-2022, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ha! Edited for perhaps a softer response. Still though, a Titanic scam
How can it be a "Titanic scam" when foam floats?

YouTube
Old 10-03-2022, 03:15 PM

Quote:
How can it be a "Titanic scam" when foam floats?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD