The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-01-2019, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

Default HFN bass response

I have my passive HFN installed with tape on my Goodall. No issue whatsoever with bass response. In fact I have to dial it back a bit with eq.
I love the lack of quack with this pickup.
Old 11-01-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hamill View Post
I love the lack of quack with this pickup.
That's what I'm hoping for!

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 11-01-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post
Thank you for providing that perspective! That sounds very encouraging.
My pleasure. I'm another guilty person for falling down the pickup rabbit hole years ago. I've used, sampled, listened to most of the pickup systems over the years and was never completely satisfied until now. I play a lot of different styles and genres of music and for me the true test for any pickup is strumming. The HFN is far above and beyond any other pickup I've used in that regard. Coupled with being passive, easy to install and doesn't need glue or epoxy it's win win win.
Old 11-01-2019, 04:15 PM

I had a bass response problem with my first install and it turned out the bass side foot was not seated properly. I pressed hard and then I had plenty of bass. My two other installs, with this learning, are nicely balanced. My first install was 8 months ago and so far the tape is holding well on all three guitars. I am pretty confident 3M VHB is good stuff, but I did notice on one of my first HFN that the middle leg was a little taller than the outer ones. I should have sanded it flat, but that was my first install, did not know any better, and I was able to recover the bass response with extra force.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 11-04-2019, 11:38 PM

Update: I successfully installed the Schatten HFN and thanks to the various pointers shared here, the process went really well. I may have even found a slightly modified jig method that allows for an easier and more accurate install. If I can manage to upload pictures, I will do that as soon as possible.

That said, I'm sorry to report that I don't like the sonic results at all. The pickup sounds drastically different from the various sound clips that I found online and liked so much. The sound I'm getting when plugging directly into a Fender Acoustasonic amp is very similar to a magnetic soundhole pickup, harsh, electric and very piezo-like. Adding a RedEye preamp results in a slight improvement, but I still wish I had chosen the K&K instead.

A friend has the same guitar with the K&K, and I'm planning on comparing the two side by side. Perhaps continued fiddling with the EQ might improve things, but I'm not super optimistic. I also will try using my a wife's Baggs Para DI instead of the a RedEye.

We'll see. I'm not sure if I should try the putty install, too. Does anyone know whether the putty would leave a residue that would make installing a K&K more difficult? If so, I definitely want to avoid that route.

Right now, I'm leaning toward putting the Schatten up for sale and getting the K&K instead.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro

Last edited by DesertTwang; 11-04-2019 at 11:45 PM.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:21 AM

I would try reaching into the guitar and putting pressure on each HFN leg one at a time while pushing back from the outside. I think one of the legs is not making good mechanical contact.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 11-05-2019, 08:03 AM

Yeah I agree with Jon, try putting some pressure on the pickup. There's no way it should sound like a magnetic pickup as you're describing if it did I wouldn't be using it. The putty won't leave any residue if you decide to use it and remove it. Just don't use too much. A small ball per foot is all that's required.
Old 11-06-2019, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post
Update: I successfully installed the Schatten HFN and thanks to the various pointers shared here, the process went really well. I may have even found a slightly modified jig method that allows for an easier and more accurate install. If I can manage to upload pictures, I will do that as soon as possible.

That said, I'm sorry to report that I don't like the sonic results at all. The pickup sounds drastically different from the various sound clips that I found online and liked so much. The sound I'm getting when plugging directly into a Fender Acoustasonic amp is very similar to a magnetic soundhole pickup, harsh, electric and very piezo-like. Adding a RedEye preamp results in a slight improvement, but I still wish I had chosen the K&K instead.

A friend has the same guitar with the K&K, and I'm planning on comparing the two side by side. Perhaps continued fiddling with the EQ might improve things, but I'm not super optimistic. I also will try using my a wife's Baggs Para DI instead of the a RedEye.

We'll see. I'm not sure if I should try the putty install, too. Does anyone know whether the putty would leave a residue that would make installing a K&K more difficult? If so, I definitely want to avoid that route.

Right now, I'm leaning toward putting the Schatten up for sale and getting the K&K instead.
It sounds like a contact issue - maybe the tape isn't making good contact. I don't think the putty will leave any residue and any it could leave would be easily cleaned with a dash of solvent.

On the one hand, pickup selection is highly personal and the HFN simply may not be your bag, but the tine you describe has me suspicious, I would vote attempting putty and not fearing pressing hard to get it to grab well. It is a quick next step troubleshooting solution.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 11-06-2019, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

Just another $.02...I found my K&K install in my Emerald X20 to result in a very unbalanced sound, which I could not EQ to my satisfaction, even using a RedEye preamp. I replaced it with the HFH Schatten (putty install), and am now satisfied with the sound...again through my RedEye preamp. I did "set" the pickup by pressing on both the pickup and the opposite spot on the outside of the guitar.

Is the amplified sound perfect...nope...nothing I have done sounds as good amplified, as my guitar sounds as a straight acoustic is a small space. The sound from my amp (Fishman Artist) sounds very differently from venue to venue, depending on the room acoustics.

Last edited by zeeway; 11-06-2019 at 03:53 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification